The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Cut up 50lbs of sirloin last nite for kabobs and put them in the marinade for Saturdays July 4th festivities. Larger then expected gathering this year with family and friends coming in from all over the country. 50 burgers, 90% lean (per the women's requests), 2 X 5lb bags of Sahlens, 20lbs of onions, 32 multi colored bell peppers, I can't even count the side dishes.

180 mortar shot Vulcan Fortress fireworks package, 10 shot mortar tube, countless bottles and beer festivity beverages.

I won't be dawning my George Washington custome this year and breaking out the row boat to cross our neighborhood Delaware, not that 2 years ago event went badly, but there was a definite risk to the Betsy Ross flag with the amount of pub refreshments imbibed before that near ill-fated attempted excursion.

Should be fun though. Happy Early Independence Day to all of my American Coloniast friends!

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Cut up 50lbs of sirloin last nite for kabobs and put them in the marinade for Saturdays July 4th festivities. Larger then expected gathering this year with family and friends coming in from all over the country. 50 burgers, 90% lean (per the women's requests), 2 X 5lb bags of Sahlens, 20lbs of onions, 32 multi colored bell peppers, I can't even count the side dishes.

180 mortar shot Vulcan Fortress fireworks package, 10 shot mortar tube, countless bottles and beer festivity beverages.

I won't be dawning my George Washington custome this year and breaking out the row boat to cross our neighborhood Delaware, not that 2 years ago event went badly, but there was a definite risk to the Betsy Ross flag with the amount of pub refreshments imbibed before that near ill-fated attempted excursion.

Should be fun though. Happy Early Independence Day to all of my American Coloniast friends!

Am I invited?

On another note, has amazon's delivery service really gone down hill fast for anyone else recently?  Their drivers have always been pretty bad, but now just about everything is going wrong.  Items lost during shipping, receiving the wrong item multiple times, it's a constant ***** show.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Not enough Sahlen's.

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not enough Sahlen's.

Dont make me send my daughter back to the store foe another bag, she hates hot dogs, she says she still has nightmares about the weenies & beans days. I asked her, "was it thar bad?", to which she honest to God replied, "ya dad, i fully remember trying to run away as it turned your ass in to a honest to God torture device" 🤣 

Ah yes, the 4 to 7 yr old range for the kids, when I'd lock the house down and tell them it's character building time" 🤣 

Edit: I would also like to put in this post script, last year, on the way to PA for the weekend, I ate some nice hot banana peppers before the 5 hr ride, then hit the child locks on the windows in my truck. Yea, nostalgic time for them, I'm that dad 🤣 

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 6/18/2023 at 3:41 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I just somehow ran a half marathon I Banff in 2hrs and 50 minutes, zero training at all and I hiked 38miles the last few days... I think I've gone crazy. 

I need a full knee replacement soon and yesterday I struggled just to golf 18 holes, that was with a cart.  I had a terrible score.  

You are very fortunate.  

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Amazon delivery in general.  The drivers have always been bad.  Now another aspect Amazon's service has gone south.

I broke a guitar string yesterday, had no time to go to a music store ….  Amazon had 3 sets of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky’s at my door by noon today. 

I am still amazed at their execution.   Never had a problem.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:
On 6/29/2023 at 12:54 PM, shrader said:

You've been waiting for ages to get back at me for the comment I made in your home improvement thread, haven't you?

Nope.  Already forgotten.

*goes back to the Home Improvement thread to see what @shrader is blathering on about*

Oh, that?  I thought it was an excellent remark!  😄

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/29/2023 at 11:28 AM, shrader said:

We have one of those town vacuum trucks that drives around for grass clippings.  For some strange reason, my wife doesn't like me telling my son that it's called the suck truck.

Why?  It’s a vacuum that sucks up grass and leaves. Why is that complicated or bad?  

On 6/24/2023 at 6:25 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

They don't call it that anymore.  Some Civil War era mumbo jumbo.

They are tearing down statues of General Lee, which is a knee-jerk reaction.

Lincoln wanted to have Lee command the Union forces.  The best General he had.  Lee was a staunch abolitionist and did not own slaves.  He publicly stated that he was against slavery and always was.  Lee's issue was with his home state of Virginia had seceded from the Union and he would not fight against his home state.  He was the best General in that stupid war, but ended up on the losing side only because of the blockade of Southern ports and lack of industry in the south.

How's that for random ramblings?

Excellent.  thought provoking.   The irony is that Lee is vilified today.   

Edited by Pimlach

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I broke a guitar string yesterday, had no time to go to a music store ….  Amazon had 3 sets of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky’s at my door by noon today. 

I am still amazed at their execution.   Never had a problem.  

I'd say it may be a local thing, but we've also had stuff go missing that we had shipped up to the mother-in-law in New Hampshire.  Still, I bet it could just be certain regions.  They probably need to back off a bit on the promises of quick shipping.  I'm seeing multiple times where the shipping gets delayed maybe 3 straight days.

On 6/24/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sabel79 said:

Soooooooo….. literally none of this is true.  Not even remotely.  No basis in anything other than confederate apologia and white-supremacist propaganda.  

I’ll link to one fairly recent article… many are available, along with copious scholarship not beholden to the daughters of the confederacy… 

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

That’s enough internet for me today… 

Also interesting counter to Lee  

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'd say it may be a local thing, but we've also had stuff go missing that we had shipped up to the mother-in-law in New Hampshire.  Still, I bet it could just be certain regions.  They probably need to back off a bit on the promises of quick shipping.  I'm seeing multiple times where the shipping gets delayed maybe 3 straight days.

I must be lucky.  Service probably varies by region.  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

My dog hates you.

I live on a rather large retention pond where most of us have fur-babies. We all send them to another place for the 2 or 3 hours. And the lake then lights up. But ya, I'm fully conscious of it. My 2 go out to Cambria, my sisters place. Done that for 7 years now.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I live on a rather large retention pond where most of us have fur-babies. We all send them to another place for the 2 or 3 hours. And the lake then lights up. But ya, I'm fully conscious of it. My 2 go out to Cambria, my sisters place. Done that for 7 years now.

We are on Chautauqua Lake right now.  Fireworks on the other side of the lake sendi my dog under a bed, an anxious, scared mess.  My dog still hates you.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Dude …. Fur babies? 
I mean ……

Fur ….

Babies ….

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, shrader said:

We definitely don’t have that problem. I ordered something at 9:15 am on Wednesday. It was on my porch at 3:30 the same day. Wtf?