Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

I personally wonder if when he took over in Pittsburgh he was responsible for changing the style they played or simply allowed his guys to go do their thing? 

Okay, That's two players. Who were the other seven starters he didn't have?

FTR, I will not be bumping this thread the next time we win. Ugh.

Good, don't bump it just gloat and act all smug. I was perfectly happy leaving Bylsma alone after the good come back win. I think sometimes Bylsma does make good decisions and I think he could be a good coach in Buffalo. But the things he has said this season and the way he has acted make me dislike him. I'll tell you what, until after Christmas I won't post in here or ask for his firing. Let's see what he can do with a full deck. 

I think you set up a bit of a false dichotomy.  It isn't either Greatest or Lucked into it.  He moved from role to role, did well enough at each step to move forward.  It wasn't like he was an assistant and the whole rest of the coaching staff above him died in a bus accident.  He earned his place and while he may not succeed here, there is no reason to fault his mentality.  1.33 years in the job and the team is improving.  We'll see.

I could have made my dog head coach last year and the team still would have improved. We subtracted garbage and added Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Kane, and this year Okposo. I think his style is holding some on this team back because he is a conservative coach. That was the original point. I think that conservative style is "let's not lose" as opposed to "let's go win". Different mindsets. 

Dick "it's hard to win in the NFL" Jauron over in the corner has meekly raised his hand. He might beg to differ w/ your assessment.

WTF did Quenneville EVER have Datsyuk & Zetterberg to lose?

:lol:

Don't know how I missed that.

I personally wonder if when he took over in Pittsburgh he was responsible for changing the style they played or simply allowed his guys to go do their thing? 

Good, don't bump it just gloat and act all smug. I was perfectly happy leaving Bylsma alone after the good come back win. I think sometimes Bylsma does make good decisions and I think he could be a good coach in Buffalo. But the things he has said this season and the way he has acted make me dislike him. I'll tell you what, until after Christmas I won't post in here or ask for his firing. Let's see what he can do with a full deck. 

I could have made my dog head coach last year and the team still would have improved. We subtracted garbage and added Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Kane, and this year Okposo. I think his style is holding some on this team back because he is a conservative coach. That was the original point. I think that conservative style is "let's not lose" as opposed to "let's go win". Different mindsets. 

That's kinda been my point (and I don't consider last year as having had a full deck.)

No, but what seems to be a hard concept for you to grasp is exactly what JJ wrote below.

I do think Bylsma has a loser mentality unless he has access to his cash cow, in this case Eichel.

Speaking to a couple of Pens fans friends of mine, that was his biggest criticism in Pittsburgh. If he didn't have his cash cow, then he played like he had zero trust in the rest of his roster. Edited by JJFIVEOH

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a single person who thinks Bylsma is the best man for the job at this point? The Only defense I constantly hear is that the team is terrible and that coaches don't matter at the professional level (from my dad whenever we talk hockey).

This team will never hoist a cup under Bylsma's stewardship. My guess is that he's let go in the off season.

I don't blame Bylsma for tonight's poor showing. The Sabres have a culture problem. The players left over from the tank years are dragging this team down. This particular collection of players we call a "team" will suffer no matter who is behind the bench.

Bylsma mentioned in his post game presser that he was completely baffled why this team came out so flat at home against a team they're within reach of in the standings.

If you read between the lines of the player interviews, there are clues that suggest not everybody is buying in, not doing what they need to do to be successful.

Yeah it sucks, but thats what happens, and why rebuilds can take a bit longer than you'd expect. It's not just assembling talent, it's building a culture of winning by having eveybody buy in to going above and beyond what is expected of them.

I don't blame Bylsma for tonight's poor showing. The Sabres have a culture problem. The players left over from the tank years are dragging this team down. This particular collection of players we call a "team" will suffer no matter who is behind the bench.

Bylsma mentioned in his post game presser that he was completely baffled why this team came out so flat at home against a team they're within reach of in the standings.

If you read between the lines of the player interviews, there are clues that suggest not everybody is buying in, not doing what they need to do to be successful.

Yeah it sucks, but thats what happens, and why rebuilds can take a bit longer than you'd expect. It's not just assembling talent, it's building a culture of winning by having eveybody buy in to going above and beyond what is expected of them.

I do blame him for not having our best offensive player on the PP, though.

That's solely on him.

+1

I do blame him for not having our best offensive player on the PP, though.

That's solely on him.

Not picking on you in particular but the thought. Not sure why exactly he did it but most likely we'll never hear what was the real reason. An example might be the less than awesome hustle in getting back on defense the past 2 games.

An in FACT the Sabres had 2 PPlay opportunities in that game, he missed the first and played 1 minute 20 seconds in the 2nd. If that didn't put a gentle hint that whatever was unacceptable to an elite player at a very your age, what do you do with him when he really pulls some ANTICS. Sometimes you just have to put the puppy's nose in the mess and put him outside to let him know it's unacceptable to peepee in the house.

This loss is on the players, Lehner for allowing two early goals on less than elite opportunities and the poor effort/game players put out. You can't coach professionalism and that's what it is when you don't put out your best effort. Plus not only did Bogosian and Kuli have poor games but Risto may have had his worst game since his rookie year. 

We also are under the illusion that our style is keeping us from scoring. There seems to be a mountain of evidence that may suggest some of these forwards we have don't have the acumen of putting the puck IN the net. Does Kane do everything right, NO in fact no-one does but if everyone on this team gave his effort and ROR's for that matter, we wouldn't be having this discussion or watch that atrocious game.

Before the Bills and Sabres seasons started, quite sure Pegula did not think he'd have the thought of firing two head coaches on his mind during the Holidays. 

+1

Not picking on you in particular but the thought. Not sure why exactly he did it but most likely we'll never hear what was the real reason. An example might be the less than awesome hustle in getting back on defense the past 2 games.

An in FACT the Sabres had 2 PPlay opportunities in that game, he missed the first and played 1 minute 20 seconds in the 2nd. If that didn't put a gentle hint that whatever was unacceptable to an elite player at a very your age, what do you do with him when he really pulls some ANTICS. Sometimes you just have to put the puppy's nose in the mess and put him outside to let him know it's unacceptable to peepee in the house.

This loss is on the players, Lehner for allowing two early goals on less than elite opportunities and the poor effort/game players put out. You can't coach professionalism and that's what it is when you don't put out your best effort. Plus not only did Bogosian and Kuli have poor games but Risto may have had his worst game since his rookie year. 

We also are under the illusion that our style is keeping us from scoring. There seems to be a mountain of evidence that may suggest some of these forwards we have don't have the acumen of putting the puck IN the net. Does Kane do everything right, NO in fact no-one does but if everyone on this team gave his effort and ROR's for that matter, we wouldn't be having this discussion or watch that atrocious game.

Which is why I want Murray to keep Kane in Buffalo. 

What if the team regularly comes out flat because there's a widely held belief in the locker room that Bylsma's philosophy, system, and approach feckin' sucks, is not current with best practices, and fails to feature the team's most talented players?