Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

I'm part of the camp that believes injuries + contract means Bylsma survives the season unless we get healthy and continue to play like we did in November.

That said, I haven't seen anybody talking about the fact that Dan's replacement - at least short-term - is standing right next to him in the bench: Terry Murray.

I'm part of the camp that believes injuries + contract means Bylsma survives the season unless we get healthy and continue to play like we did in November.

That said, I haven't seen anybody talking about the fact that Dan's replacement - at least short-term - is standing right next to him in the bench: Terry Murray.

I would guess when Bylsma gets fired, Murray is at least the temporary replacement. 

Well, Russ Brandon set his own brother up with a posh sinecure type executive job with the Bills -  and  there's Rex Ryan's brother as Defensive poohbah, and of course T-Peg set his own wife up with a top level job in the franchises, so why the heck not GMTM's uncle as HC?  The nepotism runs deep in this, the Pegula Empire. 

Edited by Jsixspd

Well, Russ Brandon set his own brother up with a posh sinecure type executive job with the Bills -  and  there's Rex Ryan's brother as Defensive poohbah, and of course T-Peg set his own wife up with a top level job in the franchises, so why the heck not GMTM's uncle as HC?  The nepotism runs deep in this, the Pegula Empire. 

I could kiss you.

Russ's brother works as an attorney for the bills I believe

Gmtm is on the cutting edge with advanced stats and zone starts, old school hockey style. I just think Murray would prefer a hockey "nerd" to coach the team then the old school approach. Puck possession and all that.

Murray was pretty against analytics when he came to BFLO and he's only warmed up to the idea recently. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got.

I think GMTM has always had aan appreciation of what anaytics can add to the equation. Not a belief that it is the equation. Just another measure to use.

And since Dan didn't use Eichel to start this game, fire him.

I think you are right and wrong JJ.

Murray is a sponge when it comes to new ways of gathering information. He is always very informed whenever any kind of analytics talk comes up. He pays guys to aggressively gather and analyze data. He talks about it in terms of fitness, scouting, player deployment, tactics, you name it.

But what he never does is commit to buying in to a certain analysis as the be-all-and-end-all. He uses it to challenge himself and his staff, but in the end he trusts what he sees on the ice first.

EDIT: BeerMe said it better while I was typing.

Edited by dudacek

I think you're all correct to an extent. My point was in response to Briere48 who said Murray is on the cutting edge of advanced stats (but then finished off the statement with "old school style" which I'm not quite sure what he meant). I know Murray doesn't shy away from analytics, but I know at one point when he was hired, some criticized him for his reluctance to use it more often. It was discussed here as well. While he's probably broadened his horizon in terms of analytics, I don't think a coach like Spuddy is out of his range. While Spuddy is old school himself, he's been working with a staff that is over the top analytical at this point in time. He just didn't like the fact that his character players were traded and nobody upstairs even considered the fact that the character/heart aspect more than made up for their analytical downfalls. 

I think you're all correct to an extent. My point was in response to Briere48 who said Murray is on the cutting edge of advanced stats (but then finished off the statement with "old school style" which I'm not quite sure what he meant). I know Murray doesn't shy away from analytics, but I know at one point when he was hired, some criticized him for his reluctance to use it more often. It was discussed here as well. While he's probably broadened his horizon in terms of analytics, I don't think a coach like Spuddy is out of his range. While Spuddy is old school himself, he's been working with a staff that is over the top analytical at this point in time. He just didn't like the fact that his character players were traded and nobody upstairs even considered the fact that the character/heart aspect more than made up for their analytical downfalls. 

Good catch, i was typing from my cell phone and forgot the word "not". I'm sorry for the confusion. (Not old school style- should have read)

I don't know much about Gallant but i'm not sure he's a guy I'd fire Bylsma for. 

Ah, I wish you'd been here five years ago.  It doesn't really matter if there's a good new coach in mind (although many had Bylsma in mind); all that's important is firing whoever is the current coach.

Seriously, Bylsma sux, but there really isn't anyone available who is known to be better, is there?

Edited by Eleven

Ah, I wish you'd been here five years ago. It doesn't really matter if there's a good new coach in mind (although many had Bylsma in mind); all that's important is firing whoever is the current coach.

Seriously, Bylsma sux, but there really isn't anyone available who is known to be better, is there?

Sorry but this is the worst argument and always will be for not firing a coach. Go find the next thing, don't pull the "well there isn't anyone else" card. It's weak . There's 31 head coach jobs, there's at least 90 some odd assistant coaches plus all the AHL coaches. There is someone better than Bylsma is that pool.

But sure you're right, there isn't anyone KNOWN to be better.

Edited by LGR4GM