Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

That is the most random assortment of players to single out as the issue. Gorges, I get because he is getting older and slower but the other two I don't. Kulikov hasn't played healthy for Buffalo once this season so bagging on him seems odd. Why should Kulikov be benched?

Guhle literally cannot play in Buffalo on anything other than an injury emergency recall. He also shouldn't play in Buffalo until next season. 19yr old defenders shouldn't be full time NHL'ers. Let him develop normally. Don't ruin a kid by rushing him like Edmonton loves to.

I took noacis stance in a broader context. We looked better when our starters where injured.

It may not all be on Blysma.

Or Blysma changes his system and it's not working when we have our team healthy.

Edited by Woods-Racer

We already know Bylsma has changed his system without the starters and then back again with the starters.

I thought it was only for with/without Eichel. I got this from his interview on GR.

So you are saying that any one player missing on the team he changes his system.?

Edited by Woods-Racer

I thought it was only for with/without Eichel. I got this from his interview on GR.

So you are saying that any one player missing on the team he changes his system.?

No that's not what I am saying. I am saying that when players are out he has altered the very system he is supposed to be playing. Altered it severely in some cases (Eichel). It is one thing to be like ROR is out so we need to adjust and do X,Y, or Z. It is another thing altogether to be like ROR so Okposo you can't do the things you normally do because I don't trust you do that with out ROR. Bylsma coaches not to lose. I want someone to coach to win. 

As every coach everywhere does.

Coaches not to lose? 

There is a different mentality between "Okay, we can't lose this game" and "Okay we will win this game"

Too soon? No, I think DB didn't have his team fired up last night or ready to play. I noticed the more the players carried the puck instead of doing dump and chase or down low cycle dumps the more success we had. I still don't like Bylsma as a coach. The best thing he did last night was finally get Reinhart away from Jack because lets be honest Reinhart has been struggling this year. 

Coaches not to lose? 

There is a different mentality between "Okay, we can't lose this game" and "Okay we will win this game"

Too soon? No, I think DB didn't have his team fired up last night or ready to play. I noticed the more the players carried the puck instead of doing dump and chase or down low cycle dumps the more success we had. I still don't like Bylsma as a coach. The best thing he did last night was finally get Reinhart away from Jack because lets be honest Reinhart has been struggling this year. 

No, they coach not to lose when half of their starters are out because they know that the season is a marathon and they don't have chance to win some games unless by a huge upset. This really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

Edited by SwampD

Risto says there is more to life than numbers.

I'll consider the goalposts moved! :nana:

FWIW, I was always in the camp that the numbers on Risto didn't properly reflect his play...because Gorges. In general I do think team-level statistics tend to more accurately reflect team play than individual-level reflect individual value, all else equal.

Last 11, 6-3-2, since Jack, 4-2-1 -- 105 point pace

Couple that with first 21 games, we'd end year around 98 points

Need time

Let's see where we are at end of December

But which pace is sustainable?  If everyone stays healthy, we might get to 90 points, but 98 just sounds optimistic.

But which pace is sustainable?  If everyone stays healthy, we might get to 90 points, but 98 just sounds optimistic.

So we fire the guy because he only gets to 90????? Inquiring minds want to know. 

I'm in the SwampD camp, this year has been such an injury filled travesty so far that I'm not sure how you possibly fairly rate his job this season and the team's future development. Unless I'm wrong I don't see any outward signs of the team turning on him and for the most part it seems they are playing hard for him and appear to be still listening to his advice.

Plus with all the lost games to injuries we're still a stones throw away from a playoff spot albeit a longer shot than what it may appear. I don't foresee Tampa struggling all year long. 

No, they coach not to lose when half of their starters are out because they know that the season is a marathon and they don't have chance to win some games unless by a huge upset. This really isn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

No, but what seems to be a hard concept for you to grasp is exactly what JJ wrote below. 

If a coach is playing to not lose because he thinks it would take a major upset to win a game, he shouldn't have a job. That loser mentality trickles down to all the players and it has showed with widespread lackluster performances and zero urgency.

I do think Bylsma has a loser mentality unless he has access to his cash cow, in this case Eichel. 

Edited by LGR4GM

No, but what seems to be a hard concept for you to grasp is exactly what JJ wrote below. 

I do think Bylsma has a loser mentality unless he has access to his cash cow, in this case Eichel. 

Show me a coach that wouldn't with the roster he had to start the season. You can't.

My two cents.  Nobody that gets to this point in a professional sport has a 'loser mentality'.  It simply takes too much effort and self-belief for a weak outlook to make it.  Is he cautious/calculating when the odds of success are low?  Sure.  But that is simply being practical.  

Show me a coach that wouldn't with the roster he had to start the season. You can't.

Quennville. He lost Zetterberg and Datsyuk at times, he kept on going. 

My two cents.  Nobody that gets to this point in a professional sport has a 'loser mentality'.  It simply takes too much effort and self-belief for a weak outlook to make it.  Is he cautious/calculating when the odds of success are low?  Sure.  But that is simply being practical.  

Sure they can. Bylsma was an AHL assistant for 1 year, than an NHL assistant for one year, he then was nothing for a year, then was the AHL head for Pittsburgh and less then a year into that job he became an NHL head coach. So either he is the greatest coach ever, or he lucked into becoming an NHL head coach, was lucky enough to have a great team and to be coaching a style that worked for the time which won him a cup. This has then translated into the constant love affair because "well he has won it all!" that has followed him sense. 

Sure they can. Bylsma was an AHL assistant for 1 year, than an NHL assistant for one year, he then was nothing for a year, then was the AHL head for Pittsburgh and less then a year into that job he became an NHL head coach. So either he is the greatest ###### coach ever, or he lucked into becoming an NHL head coach, was lucky enough to have a great team and to be coaching a style that worked for the time which won him a cup. This has then translated into the constant love affair because "well he has won it all!" that has followed him sense. 

Okay, That's two players. Who were the other seven starters he didn't have?

FTR, I will not be bumping this thread the next time we win. Ugh.

Dick "it's hard to win in the NFL" Jauron over in the corner has meekly raised his hand. He might beg to differ w/ your assessment.

Sure they can. Bylsma was an AHL assistant for 1 year, than an NHL assistant for one year, he then was nothing for a year, then was the AHL head for Pittsburgh and less then a year into that job he became an NHL head coach. So either he is the greatest ###### coach ever, or he lucked into becoming an NHL head coach, was lucky enough to have a great team and to be coaching a style that worked for the time which won him a cup. This has then translated into the constant love affair because "well he has won it all!" that has followed him sense.

WTF did Quenneville EVER have Datsyuk & Zetterberg to lose?

I think you set up a bit of a false dichotomy.  It isn't either Greatest or Lucked into it.  He moved from role to role, did well enough at each step to move forward.  It wasn't like he was an assistant and the whole rest of the coaching staff above him died in a bus accident.  He earned his place and while he may not succeed here, there is no reason to fault his mentality.  1.33 years in the job and the team is improving.  We'll see.