Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Here is the article referenced earlier in the thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-coach-hot-seats-whos-the-warmest-entering-2017-160921261.html

The Sabres aren’t getting results. It’s as simple as that. They’re in the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings at 12-13-8 in 33 games. Their goal differential is minus-20, second-worst in the conference (inexplicably better than that of the New Jersey Devils … more on that in a bit).

The heat is coming down on Bylsma and GM Tim Murray, although admittedly it’s a bit warmer for the former than the latter. (Such are coach/GM thermodynamics in the NHL.)

Mike Harrington eviscerated Bylsma in a column this week in the Buffalo News, listing his various lineup sins (including some discipline for Jack Eichel) and his overall game-plan:

Bylsma’s plodding system is flat-out unwatchable at times. Players’ instincts are stunted in place of where-should-I-be second thoughts. Zemgus Girgensons clearly can’t make heads or tails out of it. Tyler Ennis, when he was healthy, had the same problem. Many others seem baffled.

The Sabres need to skate and not think so much on the ice but their coach has to allow them to play that way. You wonder if that’s possible.

Lately, it seems as if Bylsma has lost his mind. It’s to the point where it’s now an open discussion among Sabres fans if Bylsma, in just the second year of a five-year contract, should be heading down Ryan Road to the unemployment line too if his team continues to implode:

If they fired one coach with three years left on a three year deal, what It's to stop them this time?

Here is the article referenced earlier in the thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-coach-hot-seats-whos-the-warmest-entering-2017-160921261.html

The Sabres aren’t getting results. It’s as simple as that. They’re in the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings at 12-13-8 in 33 games. Their goal differential is minus-20, second-worst in the conference (inexplicably better than that of the New Jersey Devils … more on that in a bit).

The heat is coming down on Bylsma and GM Tim Murray, although admittedly it’s a bit warmer for the former than the latter. (Such are coach/GM thermodynamics in the NHL.)

Mike Harrington eviscerated Bylsma in a column this week in the Buffalo News, listing his various lineup sins (including some discipline for Jack Eichel) and his overall game-plan:

Bylsma’s plodding system is flat-out unwatchable at times. Players’ instincts are stunted in place of where-should-I-be second thoughts. Zemgus Girgensons clearly can’t make heads or tails out of it. Tyler Ennis, when he was healthy, had the same problem. Many others seem baffled.

The Sabres need to skate and not think so much on the ice but their coach has to allow them to play that way. You wonder if that’s possible.

Lately, it seems as if Bylsma has lost his mind. It’s to the point where it’s now an open discussion among Sabres fans if Bylsma, in just the second year of a five-year contract, should be heading down Ryan Road to the unemployment line too if his team continues to implode:

If they fired one coach with three years left on a three year deal, what It's to stop them this time?

I can't be the only one who has flashbacks to Ron Rolston when I hear that... can I?

Unless we completely implode, I don't think he goes anywhere until the end of the season. And even then, after the TANK, I think he gets another year. 

We have a couple of fast players but we're not a fast team

We have a couple of smart players but we're not a very smart team

We have a couple of skilled players but we're not a very skilled team

Our goalkeepers have a respectable save percentage but we let in some cheezy azz goals at the wrong time

Long story short, I'm not overly happy with DB but I don't think this team is all on him YET.

You are the only one thinking about Rolston :P

Well, now I don't feel good about myself at all. :)

We heard the same thing about Lindy.

I missed that then.  It was interesting because they were talking between periods last night about their conversation with Bylsma and I think Duff was saying that Bylsma said the team was overthinking things and trying to be too perfect instead of just playing the game.  Seems to contradict the other sentiment.  I dunno..

There is a great article on TheHockeyWriters.com about Byslma and his failures repeating in Buffalo. Worth the read

Bylsma hampers creativity, his system is the most complicated Jarome Iginla has ever seen, and his team's are known to unravel and panic when faced with adversity

Hmmmmm, sound familiar? This guy needs to go

There is a great article on TheHockeyWriters.com about Byslma and his failures repeating in Buffalo. Worth the read

Bylsma hampers creativity, his system is the most complicated Jarome Iginla has ever seen, and his team's are known to unravel and panic when faced with adversity

Hmmmmm, sound familiar? This guy needs to go

The article's content seemed good enough, but there were multiple typos and fragmented sentences in that article. Is spell check what passes as editing these days? Where's the journalistic integrity? :unsure:

The article's content seemed good enough, but there were multiple typos and fragmented sentences in that article. Is spell check what passes as editing these days? Where's the journalistic integrity? :unsure:

That's consistently a problem with the writers on that site. It's also a problem for ESPN's writets which is absurd

That's consistently a problem with the writers on that site. It's also a problem for ESPN's writets which is absurd

Not to derail the thread further, but it even seems to crop up occasionally on the online content of some reputable news outlets like NYT and Washington Post. I just don't get it - well I do - the rush to be first beats out the time it takes to edit and produce a quality product.

Not to derail the thread further, but it even seems to crop up occasionally on the online content of some reputable news outlets like NYT and Washington Post. I just don't get it - well I do - the rush to be first beats out the time it takes to edit and produce a quality product.

This is the sad reality of journalism currently. Slap up a headline that catches the eye. Once you've clicked on it they no longer care. Content? Heh.

I'm amazed (and proud) when I catch a typo in the NYT. Sadly, it's been happening so often lately that the thrill is almost gone. I blame the rush to publish and proofreading on screen instead of hard copy (galleys).

Edit: to correct typos ha

Edited by PASabreFan

I'm amazed (and proud) when I catch a typo in the NYT. Sadly, it's been happening so often lately that the thrill is almost gone. I blame the rush to publish and proofreading on screen instead of hard copy (galleys).

Edit: to correct typos ha

I think word processing is to blame as well. We rely on machines to think about what we're saying and correct it for us. But the machines don't always get it right. Sometimes we don't even notice if something has been made wrong. And since we're not hand writing it we don't realize we've inserted a word that doesn't fit, or auto-correct has changed a word on us. Welcome to the 21st Century, where the reader fills in the blanks. 

I think word processing is to blame as well. We rely on machines to think about what we're saying and correct it for us. But the machines don't always get it right. Sometimes we don't even notice if something has been made wrong. And since we're not hand writing it we don't realize we've inserted a word that doesn't fit, or auto-correct has changed a word on us. Welcome to the 21st Century, where the reader fills in the blanks. 

Not to mention that the spell checking is geared to the USA version of the English language.  I have to force in the Canadian version of a word and then I get that pain in the neck red squiggly line under it.

Oh, and I don't think Disco should be fired yet, eh.

I don't know a lot about that site, but holding the writers to a journalistic standard might be too much to ask. As far as I know, it's another one of those sites that get fans to provide content for free (or nearly free, as apparently this site will pay something based on traffic if you write enough articles each month).

The weakest part of this story was the author interviewing a fellow writer on the site to find out about Bylsma's time in Pittsburgh.

Still, I think the main points are good. I was just thinking last night that the Sabres have brought in this elite offensive talent, yet it's all in the hands of two old-school dinosaurs. Good luck, Jack and Sam and Diane.

There are a lot of people who can't tell the difference between a professionally researched and reported article and some guy's ramblings. Hell, there are some people who can't tell the difference between news and propaganda.

Unfortunately, new media has reshaped the environment in such a way that many of the "professionals" aren't making a distinction.