Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Sorry but this is the worst argument and always will be for not firing a coach. Go find the next thing, don't pull the "well there isn't anyone else" card. It's weak ######. There's 31 head coach jobs, there's at least 90 some odd assistant coaches plus all the AHL coaches. There is someone better than Bylsma is that pool.

Fire Lindy, revolving door.  As predicted.  I guess that's what I'm saying.

Edited by Eleven

Sorry but this is the worst argument and always will be for not firing a coach. Go find the next thing, don't pull the "well there isn't anyone else" card. It's weak ######. There's 31 head coach jobs, there's at least 90 some odd assistant coaches plus all the AHL coaches. There is someone better than Bylsma is that pool.

But sure you're right, there isn't anyone KNOWN to be better.

I've been trying to find things out about Toronto's AHL coach. Seems he's just about ready for the jump. A lot of people like his coaching style. But will Toronto let him talk during the season? All of the new NHL coaches seem to get hired in the offseason, not when someone is canned in December.

Fire Lindy, rotating door. As predicted. I guess that's what I'm saying.

Well part of that is lindy was a good coach just needed a change. Part of it was Rolston and Nolan were here for the tank. The only coach GMTM has hired is Bylsma. I just hope he recognizes the mistake sooner rather than later. It has been bad since ruff but the entire team was also also torched.

I've been trying to find things out about Toronto's AHL coach. Seems he's just about ready for the jump. A lot of people like his coaching style. But will Toronto let him talk during the season? All of the new NHL coaches seem to get hired in the offseason, not when someone is canned in December.

Here is a article from the hockey news, speculating who may be hired for Las Vegas as coach. Keefe is mentioned as you said, he's a hot coaching name. Another interesting name is Travis Green. Green got close to getting the Ducks and Aves jobs. http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/five-coaching-candidates-for-the-las-vegas-expansion-team

Not mentioned- Bob Boughner. Think he'd get a look too.

Edited by Briere48

Somtimes the coach doesn't need to be *better*, he just needs to get more out of the current group of players.

Which I hardly doubt is an insurmountable task, given the 5 on 5 production on this team.

Again what about Phil Housley?  Is he ready?

How much of this has to do with his being a former Sabre?

Somtimes the coach doesn't need to be *better*, he just needs to get more out of the current group of players.

Which I hardly doubt is an insurmountable task, given the 5 on 5 production on this team.

Exactly.

Yep. That argument remains a steaming pile. Not only is it ignorant (literally), it's arrogant. A fan thinks he knows everything about every coaching candidate out there. On this board, we really think we know everything. It's funny.

How much of this has to do with his being a former Sabre?

Exactly.

Yep. That argument remains a steaming pile. Not only is it ignorant (literally), it's arrogant. A fan thinks he knows everything about every coaching candidate out there. On this board, we really think we know everything. It's funny.

Two guys who wanted Bylsma back in the day, right here.

I'm not a huge DD fan but I don't think he's the worst coach out there. I think most coaches are pretty similar with each having certain flaws.

Lindy, for all his success could never quite get the hang of getting backup goalies playing time, resulting in them being underused and rusty, which resulted in him,not playing them.

I'm not a huge DD fan but I don't think he's the worst coach out there. I think most coaches are pretty similar with each having certain flaws.

Lindy, for all his success could never quite get the hang of getting backup goalies playing time, resulting in them being underused and rusty, which resulted in him,not playing them.

That always was a fair criticism.

Bylsma still sux.

I bet he'd have a better record with this team than Bylsma does...

I suspect so as well. For one, he'd have some honest to goodness NHL talent to work with. You don't take two NHL teams to the playoffs by being a terrible coach with no system.

Two guys who wanted Bylsma back in the day, right here.

When was DD available when Lindy was coaching the Sabres? I'm not denying it. I thought Lindy had to go and if somehow the Cup-winning coach of the Pens who willed his team to win after win even with Crosby and Malkin and other key parts out had been available in 2010 or 2011, hell yes, sign me up. I think the onus of proof is now on Eleven to go back and find such calls for Hot Daniel from at least two of us.

I suspect so as well. For one, he'd have some honest to goodness NHL talent to work with. You don't take two NHL teams to the playoffs by being a terrible coach with no system.

When was DD available when Lindy was coaching the Sabres? I'm not denying it. I thought Lindy had to go and if somehow the Cup-winning coach of the Pens who willed his team to win after win even with Crosby and Malkin and other key parts out had been available in 2010 or 2011, hell yes, sign me up. I think the onus of proof is now on Eleven to go back and find such calls for Hot Daniel from at least two of us.

Not gonna bother.  My memory is good enough.  This is what you wanted.

Even if they did want that, it's acceptable to recognize being wrong. I bring this up often because I was wrong about ROR. Seeing your (not you just ppl in general) error and moving past it is good.

Appreciating the job Dan Bylsma did in Pittsburgh while Lindy was coaching Eeyore Hockey in Buffalo was not wrong (still a far cry from advocating that somehow the Sabres replace Lindy with Dan). Calling for Lindy to get fired was not wrong. Supporting Dan as the new hire was not wrong then. Hell, it's too soon to say it was wrong decision, period. The only one who's wrong here is Eleven. I'll point to Lindy's wondrous record in Dallas. Where's the beef, cowboy?

Appreciating the job Dan Bylsma did in Pittsburgh while Lindy was coaching Eeyore Hockey in Buffalo was not wrong (still a far cry from advocating that somehow the Sabres replace Lindy with Dan). Calling for Lindy to get fired was not wrong. Supporting Dan as the new hire was not wrong then. Hell, it's too soon to say it was wrong decision, period. The only one who's wrong here is Eleven. I'll point to Lindy's wondrous record in Dallas. Where's the beef, cowboy?

It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

This is what you wanted.

This is what you wanted.

Why is it wrong? I was happy with the hire. I'm still happy with it. But then again, I'm not a chicken little sky is falling let's start over tank forever fan whenever we lose a game.

This is what you wanted.

Stop putting a Billy Joel worm in my brain. I don't normally mind, but this lyric is from one of his weird early albums.

So what do we have here? Are you arguing that firing Lindy doomed the Sabres to terrible coaching for the rest of their existence? What if Lindy had survived here with continued so-so results? Would you have argued against going after Babcock? Was Babcock not "out there" and "better" than Lindy?

The whole thing's weird. I think even Lindy would be embarrassed by this kind of support. I think even he admitted how lucky he was to have coached in Buffalo for so long.

Would we be better under Babcock?

Aha! Thank you. (I know you mean instead of Dan, not instead of Lindy, but I'm glad someone else brought up his name.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you also enjoy slow, tight, skating in the muck style hockey.

Compared to the wide open but nothing actually happens style of last night? Yes. If I wanted to see wind sprints, I'd go watch a practice.

This team is boring. The coach isn't really a coach. This should be his last season in Buffalo. He's done nothing with this team. Spin the goalie wheel is a joke. I'm done. Plus I live in DC and have to read the papers after the Sabres lose.

I will agree that this team is boring.

I'm not a huge fight guy, and I'm OK with less fighting as long as we get goals and end to end action. But this team doesn't give us any of that.  Not an excess of on-ice toughness.  Not a really fast, end-to-end team, and of course, very few goals..even goals around the net.

I'm not sure how much of a problem Bylsma is though.  I don't think you are going to do much better...and I'm almost not looking for a 'better' coach, but rather a 'more exciting' coach.

The thing is, I'm just not sure how good this team is.  I think this team is below average now, and at best in the next 1-2 years will be slightly above average.

-Goaltending is OK, not great, but OK. The save % numbers look good but that is actually a product of Bylsma having a pretty good D system, giving up shots but not a huge amount of quality ones.

-D is OK also, but not great.  Risto is a very good D-man, but I don't see him as a Norris trophy guy at all, just a top 15 to 20 guy (which is fine).  Bogo I think is underrated by many on this forum, but he is overpayed for what he is (a good #2 or #3 guy who is not realiable/always injured).  McCabe looks to be a good 2nd paring guy eventually.  The best hope for this D-Core is that Guhle keeps getting better and he eventually becomes a near equal of Risto.

-Forwards?  All over the place here and I'm not sure how a coach (Any coach, Bylsma or anyone) can get this unit to mesh together.  O'Reilly is a great system guy and works well in Bylsmas system.  Eichel is great (but not maybe as great as we hope, right now he isn't a 'quarter step' behind McDavid, he is maybe 1-2 steps behind.)  Girgensons and Ennis look 100% out of place in Bylsmas system. Okposo looks good in his system.  Kane?  I have no idea how to play him.

The issue with the forward group is...half of them look to be great fits for Bylsmas system...half are awful at it. If you change coaches....you may get the second half on board with a different system, but will lose part of the first half.  The talent isn't an issue with the forwards, its just a lot of them don't mesh well together. Oh, and it looks like Reinhart would be a top 20-30 forward in the NHL of 2010-2015...but as the game is speeding up...maybe now he is only a top 100.

Edited by mjd1001