Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Players not too impressive either. It's becoming more and more discussed that the players are not "playing what their coach is teaching". So, just asking, do our want another situation where players and possibly a player determines the coach ? Again, just asking. I may no think Bylsma is a great coach but I'm beginning to be a bit more concerned by Eichel's attitude.

Players not too impressive either. It's becoming more and more discussed that the players are not "playing what their coach is teaching". So, just asking, do our want another situation where players and possibly a player determines the coach ? Again, just asking. I may no think Bylsma is a great coach but I'm beginning to be a bit more concerned by Eichel's attitude.

With respect, I think trying to paint it as firing Bylsma because of the players is the wrong way to look at it. Bylsma should be fired because he's a bad coach. That some players may have recognized he's a bad coach is neither here nor there. If Murray still thinks Bylsma is a good coach, then we have bigger problems whether he fired him or not.

With respect, I think trying to paint it as firing Bylsma because of the players is the wrong way to look at it. Bylsma should be fired because he's a bad coach. That some players may have recognized he's a bad coach is neither here nor there. If Murray still thinks Bylsma is a good coach, then we have bigger problems whether he fired him or not.

The bigger problem would be Pegula overrulling it, making the Sabres pay for the sin of his Ryan hire.

You may be absolutely correct. Frankly, I'm not an astute enough hockey fan to really assess coaching vs player performance. My fear is going forward it would be too bad to bring in coaches and allow them to be at the mercy of the players on a basis of "liking" the coach. Bylsma may not be a good coach or the right coach but that's where the GM comes in to make that decision.

The bigger problem would be Pegula overrulling it, making the Sabres pay for the sin of his Ryan hire.

For some reason I think TM is in charge here. If he wants a change of coaching he has that authority.

Mapping this to "real world" workplaces, I think most people have seen A> managers that haven't kept up with the times, and B> employees that do their own thing regardless of what management says. How you feel about that depends on your perspective, I suppose. In my industry, Bylsma would be the manager that sticks to mandating that the company's web presence be Adobe Flash-based because the hardest thing for a web developer to do (10 years ago) is write good HTML code. All the data showing that mobile is huge and doesn't play well with Flash would be ignored. Jack is the new hire with all these crazy HTML5 on continuous development Cloud systems ideas that can't get his head around doing the way it was done 15 years ago because it doesn't seem to work on today's web.

Just saw this, apropos: 75% of people leave a job due to conflicts with bosses.

http://www.peoplefluent.com/blog/people-don%E2%80%99t-quit-jobs-they-quit-bosses

Edited by MattPie

^This. All of this. I might add that if the players recognize that he's a bad coach it likely makes it much worse. That would probably snowball to them questioning the organization's plan, if they are truly being molded for success, whether to stay here long term etc.

^This. All of this. I might add that if the players recognize that he's a bad coach it likely makes it much worse. That would probably snowball to them questioning the organization's plan, if they are truly being molded for success, whether to stay here long term etc.

This is why DD needs to go, no later than the start of next season.  If we want our RFAs to sign without looking around, DD needs to be gone and a competent coach hired.

the best coaches (re: Babs etc...) allow players to play to their strengths, and does not try to change them nor make them play a complicated or boring system that actually hurts that player. It isi obvious that Blysma wants this team to play a system that is a boat that long has since sailed and with today's NHL and how fast it is and how (thank God) they finally got rid of the goons who couldn;t skate but played (in some cases more the jack does some nights under Blysma). Now you have to move the puck quickly and attack as a unit which just ain't clearly Blysma's style nor system. The truth is he is hurting many of the Sabres offensive players and any other team would be loving players like Jack, Sam, Ennis, kane and the good off-season signing Okoposo, I do think our D would be better served if they were allowed to play more offensively too, and I thought nelson looked like a pretty good offensive d-man but he has been buried in Rochester for whatever reasons. The leafs play just about anybody on D and allow them to do whatever it is that best suits them. They are getting a hell of a lot of milage out of some pretty average players (see Kadri) while he sabre players always seem to underperform...

This is a no brainer.

His system isn't working and I don't see him changing.

I have ZERO concern about superstar in making (Eichel) pushing coach out, worked fine for Magic and MJ in NBA, and, in the end, we didn't tank to get DD.

I respectfully disagree.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

It's worth remembering that it isn't just a Jack thing. Evander has gone off on a few ("We stopped trying to score goals"), Lenny accused the entire team of disregarding the plan, but he's the only guy I can think of who has publicly supported the coach in any way whatsoever (that wasn't meaningless rehearsed empty sports-speak). If things aren't working, no matter the setting, and there is an obvious problem between line staff and middle management, competent upper management looks really really hard (at minimum) at what the guy in the supervisor/coach's job is doing or not doing.

The job of any coach / supervisor is to ensure that players/staff succeed at their jobs. That covers a lot of ground depending upon the stafff you're dealing with, but in general the competent need to be left alone as much as possible to get things done and more time needs to be spent with the bottom performers to help them improve. Making an example out of a high performer for minor stuff is dangerous territory. When your system is obviously either bad or not being explained well enough by you the boss (meaning you're bad at what you do in either case) and nobody gets it, that's going to get the room / office to turn on you quick. Ditto the reverse situation, where low performers are inexplicably not punished for the same infractions time and again (D-lo played how much last night? I'm sure I saw him give the puck away)

This is getting windy: TLDR: Disco has no idea how modern hockey works and no idea how to manage people. Other than that, great hire, has a ring.

Mapping this to "real world" workplaces, I think most people have seen A> managers that haven't kept up with the times, and B> employees that do their own thing regardless of what management says. How you feel about that depends on your perspective, I suppose. In my industry, Bylsma would be the manager that sticks to mandating that the company's web presence be Adobe Flash-based because the hardest thing for a web developer to do (10 years ago) is write good HTML code. All the data showing that mobile is huge and doesn't play well with Flash would be ignored. Jack is the new hire with all these crazy HTML5 on continuous development Cloud systems ideas that can't get his head around doing the way it was done 15 years ago because it doesn't seem to work on today's web.

Just saw this, apropos: 75% of people leave a job due to conflicts with bosses.

http://www.peoplefluent.com/blog/people-don%E2%80%99t-quit-jobs-they-quit-bosses

If the hardest thing for a web developer to do was write good HTML they should find a different job. It's pretty trivial. Lol

If the hardest thing for a web developer to do was write good HTML they should find a different job. It's pretty trivial. Lol

I'm with you on writing basic HTML, but I can't imagine writing a modern web site in HTML < 5.There was a reason people used flash back in the day, it was way easier and had more features than what you could do with HTML.

He's drilling another well as we speak.

Mike SchoppVerified account

Checking in on 5-on-5 CF% from @CorsicaHockey:

26. Avs

27. Isles

28. Devils

29. #Sabres

30. Coyotes

Roster has problems but still. Yikes.

That is ###### pathetic. Does that look like a sustainable way to win to anyone? Anyone at all?

And before you say, 'That stat doesn't matter', True and other have gone over at every postseason with articles from all over how possession metrics were the biggest indicator of playoff success. 

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?db=201617&sit=5v5&disp=1&sortdir=DESC&sort=GFPCT

The link above says we are #23, but your point is taken.

There is that, but I don't think money is the object. It's pride or not wanting to get any bigger reputation as a coach-firer or enabler of chaos (chaos does not work for the Buffalo Sabres!).

DB's defensive system is the worst I've ever seen in pro hockey... from neutral zone to d-zone to PK.    They look absolutely clueless.    Getting a few better defenseman my help mask that issue but the more games I watch, the more I notice it's the forwards inability to defend which is costing this team dearly.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?db=201617&sit=5v5&disp=1&sortdir=DESC&sort=GFPCT

The link above says we are #23, but your point is taken.

That ranking is GF%, which I understand to be percentage of players with girlfriends. 23rd is pretty low, which makes sense, because there are a lot of ugly mugs on this team.

If you click "CF%" on your link, it ranks in terms of that and we drop way down.

DB's defensive system is the worst I've ever seen in pro hockey... from neutral zone to d-zone to PK.    They look absolutely clueless.    Getting a few better defenseman my help mask that issue but the more games I watch, the more I notice it's the forwards inability to defend which is costing this team dearly.

A lot of chasing by d men which leaves open areas on the ice to be covered by forwards that, due to the nature of the game, wind up being a step behind the attacking player.

It's hard to determine who is in the wrong, D or forward, because it's hard to tell who has responsibility for a zone or a man. It's also the reason when a team sets up and starts to cycle in our zone why we look like a dog chasing it's tail.