Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Don't their ELC's end next year?

Sure, but Jack and Sam are going to have some contract in their minds for after. Say Jack wants 8x8 and Sam wants 2x4. I'm making those numbers up, but, Jack knows that even if Dan was good he wouldn't be here by year 8, or probably even year 5, so I don't think he'd want a shorter contract that takes him directly to his UFA year because of Dan. 

Sure, but Jack and Sam are going to have some contract in their minds for after. Say Jack wants 8x8 and Sam wants 2x4. I'm making those numbers up, but, Jack knows that even if Dan was good he wouldn't be here by year 8, or probably even year 5, so I don't think he'd want a shorter contract that takes him directly to his UFA year because of Dan. 

Ah I gotcha. Hadn't thought of that, that's a good point. 

But, maybe he has a longer term in mind if Dan isn't here, and shortens it cause he's unhappy and wants open options sooner rather than later?

I fully expect Sam and Jack to be re-signed this summer. Hopefully to be followed by Evander.

Best comparisons for Jack are

McKinnon 7/6.3

Monahan 7/6.3

Barkov 6/5.9

I think Jack outstrips them all at $7 million over 6-8 years, with the Sabres pushing for 8 and Jack for six.

Sam comparables later.

On the other hand, if he (they) absolutely hate the style they're being asked to play year after year, they may want to just get the hell outta Buffalo, especially if people they know in, oh, say, Boston, or New York, or Calgary, or whatever, who are playing a more exciting style and lovin' it.... versus a team that gets 83 points every year.

On the other hand, if he (they) absolutely hate the style they're being asked to play year after year, they may want to just get the hell outta Buffalo, especially if people they know in, oh, say, Boston, or New York, or Calgary, or whatever, who are playing a more exciting style and lovin' it.... versus a team that gets 83 points every year.

Doesn't matter what they want they are RFA's with no real leverage

Doesn't matter what they want they are RFA's with no real leverage

They've got all kinds of leverage if another team makes a rich offer to them. Then the Sabres have to match (and possibly be hamstrung with a couple of rich contracts) or let them walk.  This of course presumes that they genuinely want out.  If I were them, I would definitely look to other teams if it's status quo next year.

Edited by Doohickie

The one bit of leverage they have is to sign a 4 year offer sheet. That way the next contract ends right when they're eligible to become UFA's.

Exactly. Ryan O'Reilly was able to leverage his RFA status to get a good raise and reach UFA status at a young age so he could get a great offer from us. He was even able to force his team to trade him so they didn't risk losing him for nothing.

Good thing we have him here to mentor our young blue chippers.

Edited by Drunkard

Why do we punish people for having competent representation?

Who's punishing anyone? O'Reilly was smart to do what he did and he did way better for himself financially because of it. At the same time though if we lose Reinhart over it, I'm going to be pissed. MacKinnon got paid just like Eichel is going to. O'Reilly was the odd man out in Colorado because they had MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, and whomever. There's a chance Reinhart could be the odd man out here because he won't be appreciated/prioritized the way O'Reilly, Eichel, and Ristolainen are/will be. Maybe Reinhart will feel undervalued here the way O'Reilly felt undervalued in Colorado. Then he gets his agent to send out feelers and as Taro said it just takes one team to make the offer. It could easily happen even though I hope it doesn't.

Who's punishing anyone? O'Reilly was smart to do what he did and he did way better for himself financially because of it. At the same time though if we lose Reinhart over it, I'm going to be pissed. MacKinnon got paid just like Eichel is going to. O'Reilly was the odd man out in Colorado because they had MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, and whomever. There's a chance Reinhart could be the odd man out here because he won't be appreciated/prioritized the way O'Reilly, Eichel, and Ristolainen are/will be. Maybe Reinhart will feel undervalued here the way O'Reilly felt undervalued in Colorado. Then he gets his agent to send out feelers and as Taro said it just takes one team to make the offer. It could easily happen even though I hope it doesn't.

It absolutely COULD happen, but I wouldn't put it in the "easily could happen" category nor would I want to have to have any money on it happening.

Fairly certain Murray realizes what he has & what those 2 are worth.

Am really hoping keeping Bylsma on until the end of the year is a nod to wanting to give Dan a "dignified" (for lack of a better word for it) departure & believing that his uncle wouldn't be able to turn this around enough to get them into the dance. (Though, had the move been made 2+ monthsvago, there was ample time.)

If Dan is back next year, my opinion of Murray takes a serious hit. & maybe bad things are in store for us around the corner. (Still don't see that as being the most likely outcome. Still expect Dan gone by the exit interviews.)

It absolutely COULD happen, but I wouldn't put it in the "easily could happen" category nor would I want to have to have any money on it happening.

Fairly certain Murray realizes what he has & what those 2 are worth.

Am really hoping keeping Bylsma on until the end of the year is a nod to wanting to give Dan a "dignified" (for lack of a better word for it) departure & believing that his uncle wouldn't be able to turn this around enough to get them into the dance. (Though, had the move been made 2+ monthsvago, there was ample time.)

If Dan is back next year, my opinion of Murray takes a serious hit. & maybe bad things are in store for us around the corner. (Still don't see that as being the most likely outcome. Still expect Dan gone by the exit interviews.)

Yeah, I wouldn't have a clue where to set the odds on it, but to me it's potentially a bigger hurdle on how to keep the core together than worrying about Kane's next contract. Especially if DB is retained and Reinhart is set on playing center. Our season will end way before July 1st so if DB isn't fired before then I'd say he's likely to return for the start of next season. Centers have more value and tend to earn more money than wingers as well. Murray could see this and "over pay" for Reinhart based on his abilities and potential or he could slight Reinhart by paying him for what he currently is (2nd line right winger) or offer him something in between. Some team that sees Reinhart as a top line center may be willing to pay him more than TM thinks he's worth, just like we were willing to pay ROR more than Colorado thought he was worth.

Edited by Drunkard

Yeah, I wouldn't have a clue where to set the odds on it, but to me it's potentially a bigger hurdle on how to keep the core together than worrying about Kane's next contract. Especially if DB is retained and Reinhart is set on playing center. Our season will end way before July 1st so if DB isn't fired before then I'd say he's likely to return for the start of next season. Centers have more value and tend to earn more money than wingers as well. Murray could see this and "over pay" for Reinhart based on his abilities and potential or he could slight Reinhart by paying him for what he currently is (2nd line right winger) or offer him something in between. Some team that sees Reinhart as a top line center may be willing to pay him more than TM thinks he's worth, just like we were willing to pay ROR more than Colorado thought he was worth.

Pretty sure that Reinhart will top out as a good 1st line C on a bad team or an excellent 2nd line C on a good team. Really expect that good team to be this one.

Pretty sure that Reinhart will top out as a good 1st line C on a bad team or an excellent 2nd line C on a good team. Really expect that good team to be this one.

I hope so too, but we'll see. I just hope DB is fired immediately after the season and Eichel and Reinhart are both signed to 8 year deals that get announced on 7/1/17.

Edited by Drunkard

It could be argued that Paul Hamilton is the ultimate "get off my lawn guy" where it comes to young players. He was on the radio this AM and was talking about the impending contract negotiations between Eichel, Reinhart and the Sabres and whether GMTM will side with his coach or let 19 and 20 year olds run the team. He said and I'm paraphrasing they will keep Jack happy. He mentioned Eichel's Disconnect with DD and Simon asked him if veterans on the team feel the same way. The response was after the Columbus Game both Ennis and Kane mentioned that they played much better when they just went with it, i.e. scrapped DD's System.

I think he is toast at the end of the year

Edited by BRAWNDO

I hope so too, but we'll see. I just hope DB is fired immediately after the season and Eichel and Reinhart are both signed to 8 year deals that get announced on 7/1/17.

Oooooh - man. I like it.

(That said, I am not sure Reinhart gets a max deal.)

It could be argued that Paul Hamilton is the ultimate "get off my lawn guy" where it comes to young players. He was on the radio this AM and was talking about the impending contract negotiations between Eichel, Reinhart and the Sabres and whether GMTM will side with his coach or let 19 and 20 year olds run the team. He mentioned Eichel's Disconnect with DD and Simon asked him if veterans on the team feel the same way. The response was after the Columbus Game both Ennis and Kane mentioned that they played much better when they just went with it, i.e. scrapped DD's System.

I think he is toast at the end of the year

It's a pity - I really used to enjoy Hamilton. But he really has become an extraordinary crank.

Didn't he mention in the recent past that O'Reilly's leadership has been a huge disappointment?

Oooooh - man. I like it.

It's a pity - I really used to enjoy Hamilton. But he really has become an extraordinary crank.

Didn't he mention in the recent past that O'Reilly's leadership has been a huge disappointment?

Not today, but I did get the impression that he believes the Sabres will be looking for a new HC in April

Oooooh - man. I like it.

Yes, and also that Reinhart isn't working hard enough, because he wasn't attending ROR's lessons during that stretch where we played like 11 games in 48 hours. Now, Paul couldn't verify that Reinhart wasn't watching tape or in the gym, either. So he was again just blowing chunks. 

Got to believe Girgensons is on the Anti-Dan band wagon. Every nail in the coffin helps, even if it's a finishing nail.

Yeah, I thought about Zemgus today. Its very possible that a different coach comes in and he returns to life, which would be a HUGE boost to the forward depth on this team.

I'd say the proof is on the ice.

When the Sabres are behind and Dan lets the horses run in a late attempt to catch up, we seem to be effective.

When we are ahead and Dan pulls in the reins and urges caution, we leak massive puddles everywhere.

Players are just reacting to what they see. It's too bad Dan never does.

Edited by dudacek

Mike SchoppVerified account

Checking in on 5-on-5 CF% from @CorsicaHockey:

26. Avs

27. Isles

28. Devils

29. #Sabres

30. Coyotes

Roster has problems but still. Yikes.

That is ###### pathetic. Does that look like a sustainable way to win to anyone? Anyone at all?

And before you say, 'That stat doesn't matter', True and other have gone over at every postseason with articles from all over how possession metrics were the biggest indicator of playoff success. 

Edited by WildCard