Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Fyi: From Marty Biron today on twitter:

'' I love Ted Nolan but I can tell you he wasn't a good coach anymore. Bylsma's a good coach. Not the problem."

And since when was Nolan a good coach to begin with? 'Anymore'?

Is good a relative notion? Can a bad coach take two teams to the playoffs in the NHL? Win the Adams? Have success in the Olympics?

It's more like right/wrong. Nolan was the right coach for the Sabres the first time around. Bylsma is the wrong coach now.

Has Yost turned on Bylsma? There was a time not long ago he loved him some Disco Dan.

That name came into my head because on the radio today he said that Jack and probably more players don't like Dan. I didn't catch how he feels about that, or anything else, so he still may like him, but I believe he called him a "dead man walking". 

I may not watch anymore games until DD is gone. And I've seen every game except one (thanks to a TWC screwup) since 1997.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I suffered through watching the tank but I can't stomach watching this team right now. At least the tank had a point. This just feels even more painful to watch.

I may not watch anymore games until DD is gone. And I've seen every game except one (thanks to a TWC screwup) since 1997.

This is strong. The Sabres need to know about it. So many have checked out, at least mentally. It's supposed to be fun. Has there been a more boring Sabres coach? Ted Sator maybe? When this guy is gone, no one is going to know he was here.

This is strong. The Sabres need to know about it. So many have checked out, at least mentally. It's supposed to be fun. Has there been a more boring Sabres coach? Ted Sator maybe? When this guy is gone, no one is going to know he was here.

I don't look fondly back at the Ottawa brawl, but when they did that Beyond the Blue and Gold special on it, I instantly was shot back to a time where the Sabres were the most fun part of my life. And my life was good. They were that fun. The game itself was incredible, taking the brawl out completely. Every game felt like a playoff game, we all wondered what amazing things we were going to see, there was a connection felt between every Buffalonian that felt the same way. The special made watching the rest of the BJs game fun, but by the end all of that faded away and I was back to thinking about what we have now. I get a low level enjoyment from watching Eichel and hoping he scores, and the rest is almost unpleasant. I'm still hooked, but there's a cloud over every single thought I have that concerns this organization, from Terry Pegula to Lauren Hall to Johan Larsson and Hudson Fasching.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. I suffered through watching the tank but I can't stomach watching this team right now. At least the tank had a point. This just feels even more painful to watch.

I feel dumped in the pre-tank, add-morons-like-Leino-years, where the only word I had to describe the Sabres were "futility".

This team gives me the exact same feeling.

I don't look fondly back at the Ottawa brawl, but when they did that Beyond the Blue and Gold special on it, I instantly was shot back to a time where the Sabres were the most fun part of my life. And my life was good. They were that fun. The game itself was incredible, taking the brawl out completely. Every game felt like a playoff game, we all wondered what amazing things we were going to see, there was a connection felt between every Buffalonian that felt the same way. The special made watching the rest of the BJs game fun, but by the end all of that faded away and I was back to thinking about what we have now. I get a low level enjoyment from watching Eichel and hoping he scores, and the rest is almost unpleasant. I'm still hooked, but there's a cloud over every single thought I have that concerns this organization, from Terry Pegula to Lauren Hall to Johan Larsson and Hudson Fasching.

This team has no identity. What are they? Nobody knows. An enigma wrapped in a riddle. Not even they know who they are. Like a blind man in a house of mirrors.

Just like Ron whats-his-name... with the glasses.

At this point is there anybody on this board in the "Don't Fire Bylsma" camp, anyone who thinks he's good for this team?

Nolan had a strategy he was able to employ that no other coach could during his first rodeo here: Play Hasek. Win games.

That name came into my head because on the radio today he said that Jack and probably more players don't like Dan. I didn't catch how he feels about that, or anything else, so he still may like him, but I believe he called him a "dead man walking". 

It's fine not to like the coach.  You can hate the coach, but as long as you're winning you can still follow him.  It seems like some of the players hate the coach *and* they're not winning.  You want the coach to maximize the performance of the team by maximizing performance of the individual players within his system.  I think that even acknowledging there are problems with defense and overall depth, this team's performance is not even clsoe to being maximized.  I thnk the proof of this is to look at how many points they lost after being in the lead halfway through the game or later.  They're good enough to pull ahead of other teams; they should be good enough to consistently hold the lead.  But they don't.

I think this is a no-brainer.

I think if you say Marty's words in your head in Marty's French-Canadian voice, you'll find we're over-emphasizing that word.  I think he was just filling out a sentence, not necessarily implying that Nolan was ever that good.

Now the connection is one of sympathy for each other; a kind of shared mourning (I say that as a Buffalo expat who goes to a lot of Bills Backers events).

The joy is tempered by the knowledge that it's likely that his goals are futile- we'll lose in the end anyway.

@ByMHarrington  27m27 minutes ago

Seriously, people. If #Sabres fired Bylsma and hired Boston U's guy as their coach, how could ANYONE take them seriously? Come on.

Well? Ironically, it's not like anyone can take Harrington seriously.

@ByMHarrington  27m27 minutes ago
 Seriously, people. If #Sabres fired Bylsma and hired Boston U's guy as their coach, how could ANYONE take them seriously? Come on.

Well? Ironically, it's not like anyone can take Harrington seriously.

Hires like that are literally how coaches get "discovered". Harrington is so dense. 

I mean, I'm not advocating that move, but if GMTM did it I wouldn't hate it.