Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Didn't we beat the Rangers by matching them blow-for-blow? Isn't that the only way we've consistently won games this year?

Well, sure, they MAAAAY be able to skate w/ the Rags, but who in their right mind would let 'em skate w/ the Canes & Isles?!?! It's MADNESS! Pure madness.

Yup. Terry Pegula's own angry interview today, after Whaley's presser, to allay concerns that his Bills' organization is dysfunctional actually made the Bills organization structure seem MORE dysfunctional if that's possible- Terry pulled the curtain back to reveal a puppet GM who, like Schultz in Hogan's Heroes, "Knows nothing!", and now fans, sports reporters, and sports writers alike are left wondering what Whaley is responsible for, or how much authority he has, if any.

It's just an amazing hot mess!

He's in charge of everything not named Rex?

You sure? It doesn't even sound like he got to make the decision on Tyrod himself. He said at the presser he and Russ got on the blower to talk to Terry about it. What on God's green earth could Terry contribute to such a decision?

But with a structure where the HC reports to the owner, and does not report to the GM, it basically almost completely divorces the GM from oversight on team operations.  What does that leave the GM to do?  

Even worse, apparently the selection of Lynn for HC came from that final private phone call between Pegula and Ryan.  Lynn was Ryan's suggestion - the owner asked the coach he just canned to name his successor.  That is amazing, and incredibly there's no evidence that Whaley was even asked what he thought about naming Lynn as interim HC.  

The GM found out the owner fired the coach, after the fact.  The GM found out the fired coach named the next HC, after the fact.  And it's not clear that the GM was even involved in the decision to bench the team's starting QB.

IF these duties are taken away from the GM,  what DOES he do?  How can the GM be responsible for, or accountable for, anything, with such huge decisions apparently totally bypassing his desk???   What's left? Draft picks?  

Now I don't even care how long Whaley, Brandon, Overdorf, work for the Bills.  I wanted them gone but they clearly really don't matter. They're apparently just figureheads. Everyone gets a vote, but the only vote that counts is T-Peg's, and maybe his wife's.

Pegula is making the big decisions, and he's not running the Bills the way successful NFL franchises, that win Super Bowls, are run. 

And then there's the Sabres.....   Maybe Pegula runs the Sabres 180 degrees differently than he does the Bills? Color me skeptical.  The greatest thing to happen to the Bills and Sabres is Terry Pegula.  The worst thing to happen to the Bills and Sabres is Terry Pegula.  He's both savior, and the villain of the piece.  

But with a structure where the HC reports to the owner, and does not report to the GM, it basically almost completely divorces the GM from oversight on team operations.  What does that leave the GM to do?  

Even worse, apparently the selection of Lynn for HC came from that final private phone call between Pegula and Ryan.  Lynn was Ryan's suggestion - the owner asked the coach he just canned to name his successor.  That is amazing, and incredibly there's no evidence that Whaley was even asked what he thought about naming Lynn as interim HC.  

The GM found out the owner fired the coach, after the fact.  The GM found out the fired coach named the next HC, after the fact.  And it's not clear that the GM was even involved in the decision to bench the team's starting QB.

IF these duties are taken away from the GM,  what DOES he do?  How can the GM be responsible for, or accountable for, anything, with such huge decisions apparently totally bypassing his desk???   What's left? Draft picks?  

Now I don't even care how long Whaley, Brandon, Overdorf, work for the Bills.  I wanted them gone but they clearly really don't matter. They're apparently just figureheads. Everyone gets a vote, but the only vote that counts is T-Peg's, and maybe his wife's.

Pegula is making the big decisions, and he's not running the Bills the way successful NFL franchises, that win Super Bowls, are run. 

And then there's the Sabres.....   Maybe Pegula runs the Sabres 180 degrees differently than he does the Bills? Color me skeptical.  The greatest thing to happen to the Bills and Sabres is Terry Pegula.  The worst thing to happen to the Bills and Sabres is Terry Pegula.  He's both savior, and the villain of the piece.  

And suddenly the answers to the LaFontaine fiasco become all too apparent. 

Bylsma's answer this morning on the GR show was weird, and probably telling, on the matter of to whom he directly reports. There was some reading between the lines needed, but it sounded like he said that he and GM TM are in constant communication about all matters hockey, but that Bylsma's direct report is, in fact, to ownership.

FML.

And suddenly the answers to the LaFontaine fiasco become all too apparent. 

Probably. As I wrote yesterday, it might explain Babcock saying thanks but no thanks, too. And what about Darcy? Was he fired or did he quit and get a golden parachute?

Bylsma's answer this morning on the GR show was weird, and probably telling, on the matter of to whom he directly reports. There was some reading between the lines needed, but it sounded like he said that he and GM TM are in constant communication about all matters hockey, but that Bylsma's direct report is, in fact, to ownership.

FML.

Oh jeez. I was listening on my staticy radio and I thought DDB said he reports to Tim and Tim reports to the Pegulers.

Oh jeez. I was listening on my staticy radio and I thought DDB said he reports to Tim and Tim reports to the Pegulers.

6:40 mark

http://media.wgr550.com/a/117978453/01-03-sabres-head-coach-dan-bylsma-with-howard-and-jeremy.htm

Listen to that cluster funk.

He does say that he reports to GM TM, but only after he says that (Kim and?) Terry are ultimately who "we" report to (i.e., him and GM TM report to Kim and Terry). He says he reports to Murray, but does so in the context of saying he speaks regularly with Murray. 

Also, his explanation of why Gorges does not suck made me confused.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/117978453/01-03-sabres-head-coach-dan-bylsma-with-howard-and-jeremy.htm

He does say that he reports to GM TM, but only after he says that (Kim and?) Terry are ultimately who "we" report to (i.e., him and GM TM report to Kim and Terry). He says he reports to Murray, but does so in the context of saying he speaks regularly with Murray.

"I know everything sucks when Gorges is there, but this setup gives us our shutdown pair." More or less. Good times.

Edit: One thing he did finally say was they had to get more chances. The first step is admitting you have a problem...not that I think he's actually going to identify his system as the problem.

Edit #2: I found his comments about the hierarchy totally innocuous. I think is follow-up comment was simply saying that at the end of the day it's the Pegulas' team. Seems a pretty standard structure for the Sabres.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Edit #2: I found his comments about the hierarchy totally innocuous. I think is follow-up comment was simply saying that at the end of the day it's the Pegulas' team. Seems a pretty standard structure for the Sabres.

Maybe that's right. I do get the sense that GM TM is given more power over his operations. That would square with the other theory that the Bills were the real prize all along.

All I have to say is that both the Bills and the Sabres are a psychologist's wet dream ... they would become very wealthy trying to sort out all that dysfunction.

I mean I love my mom and everything but yeah they're so hard to watch

"I know everything sucks when Gorges is there, but this setup gives us our shutdown pair." More or less. Good times.

Edit: One thing he did finally say was they had to get more chances. The first step is admitting you have a problem...not that I think he's actually going to identify his system as the problem.

It wasn't phrased very well by Dan, but I agree completely with Blue.

Essentially he said that ultimately the Pegulas are the boss, but on a day-to-day basis he reports to Tim.

Pretty typical NHL set-up.

Edited by dudacek

Maybe that's right. I do get the sense that GM TM is given more power over his operations. That would square with the other theory that the Bills were the real prize all along.

His quote to TBN seems to clear up any confusion:

"I report to Tim every day, am talking to Tim every day. And Tim talks to Terry and Kim," Bylsma said when asked by The News about the Sabres' structure. "There are times when it's all of us together. I think that's a little bit more on the football side of it ...  We have communication with Terry and Kim. But I talk to Tim every day and Tim talks to Terry and Kim every day."

I listened to it - note the veryyyy long pregnant pause before he replied (hard to believe he wasn't expecting this question after the Ryan debacle)   His answer didn't seem very direct at all.  

Why is that?  If I were asked, I could tell someone, with zero hesitation, who my boss is, and who I report to, and who I am accountable to.  

And yeah, in theory everyone in our company reports to the CEO,  but bottom line - I have a boss, and I could name him without a moment's hesitation.

So that is very interesting - maybe it's some sort of weird multiple hierarchy - where he reports to Murray on some things, and the Pegulas on other things.  But why the pause?  Why such a stammering reply?   Interesting.   

His quote to TBN seems to clear up any confusion:

"I report to Tim every day, am talking to Tim every day. And Tim talks to Terry and Kim," Bylsma said when asked by The News about the Sabres' structure. "There are times when it's all of us together. I think that's a little bit more on the football side of it ...  We have communication with Terry and Kim. But I talk to Tim every day and Tim talks to Terry and Kim every day."

I wonder if "every day" is just a throw-in phrase there. Does Tim really talk to the owners every day? Seems a bit much.

I did listen to DD's comments on WGR again. It was a hound's breakfast of a word salad, but he did clearly say, twice, that he reports to Tim, and once that Tim reports to the Pegulas. But the first time he said "we" report to the Pegulas. The problem is the word "ultimately": "I report to ultimately..." He stopped and started again, then said "we" report to the Pegulas. I think before he stopped he was on his way to saying ultimately he reports to the Pegulas, then thought better of it.

Bottom line, I don't think the Sabres have the same organizational setup as the Bills, thank God. What's unclear is who is going to fire Bylsma. It should be Murray. If Terry wants to fire DD, IMHO, he has to fire both of them.

I wonder if "every day" is just a throw-in phrase there. Does Tim really talk to the owners every day? Seems a bit much.

I did listen to DD's comments on WGR again. It was a hound's breakfast of a word salad, but he did clearly say, twice, that he reports to Tim, and once that Tim reports to the Pegulas. But the first time he said "we" report to the Pegulas. The problem is the word "ultimately": "I report to ultimately..." He stopped and started again, then said "we" report to the Pegulas. I think before he stopped he was on his way to saying ultimately he reports to the Pegulas, then thought better of it.

Bottom line, I don't think the Sabres have the same organizational setup as the Bills, thank God. 

That's about my take as well.

I listened to it - note the veryyyy long pregnant pause before he replied (hard to believe he wasn't expecting this question after the Ryan debacle)   His answer didn't seem very direct at all.  

But why the pause?  Why such a stammering reply?   Interesting.   

I thought the same thing, but, OTOH, it may have just been Hot Daniel being very careful not to step in anything. In doing so, he maybe sounded more cagey than he intended. Who knows. I do tend to agree that Terry's not as mixed up with the Sabres' hockey matters as he is in the Bills' football matters.

It was you, PA, was it not (perhaps with others), who theorized at the time the sale was first rumoured that the Bills were the real prize for Pegula all along?

Bottom line, I don't think the Sabres have the same organizational setup as the Bills, thank God. What's unclear is who is going to fire Bylsma. It should be Murray. If Terry wants to fire DD, IMHO, he has to fire both of them.

I am reasonably confident/optimistic/delusional that firing DDB will be GMTM's decision -- but that he, like 90+% of the other NHL GMs, will discuss it first with the owner, so that the owner (i) doesn't get blindsided by hearing it on the radio and (ii) has the opportunity to ask questions.