Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

I (think I) enjoy the irony of GM TM noting that Pysyk was an analytics darling while shipping him, and now GM TM signs a player who appears to be ... an analytics darling. Nah?

I think what TM meant by the analytics darling comment is that Pysyk looked great on paper when fed 3rd pairing minutes, but he's not actually much of a difference maker.

Kyle Okposo is actually capable of making a difference.

I'll put it this way..

Lucic - 7x $6M

OKposo -7 x $6M

Backes - 5 x $6M

Nielsen - 6 x $5.25

Ladd - 7 x $5.5

Of those signings... I like Okposo the best.

Question... Is the lucic deal in CAD or USD? If CAD it's about 80% of the total in USD.

I just worry about this team making the playoffs....I have a feeling Murray knows what he's doing money wise so i don't think about it

We all worry about the Sabres making the playoffs. And I support Murray 110%. I can still hope things happen at a decent price. But if Murray feels it's worth spending extra I'm fine w/ that. He's the GM. It's his profession. Murray knows what he's doing. We do not. 

who cares?

Dude -- you do understand that there is a salary cap, yes?  And that every dollar that is spent on player X is a dollar that is not available to be spent on player Y?

So, the idea being: A $6M cap hit in 5 years won't be that big a deal and the actual cash expense to a buyer will be modest?

I'm coming around to the deal because I'm beginning to think the guy can be readily moved on the back end of this deal.

Exactly -- there will always be budget teams with plenty of cap space who, if bribed sufficiently with other assets, will take on a player with a lower cash cost.

Kill me. Just end it!

But I've seen some very nice things about KO's fancystats -- do you disagree?

It's a very good signing for the next 3-4 years, and possibly a very bad one after that.

Quite possibly, but the risk for the last couple of years is mitigated by the tradeability of his contract due to front-loading.

I just worry about this team making the playoffs....I have a feeling Murray knows what he's doing money wise so i don't think about it

Exactly... so much worrying for nothing. Until Murray proves he can't handle the salary management side, just let him do it and enjoy the improved product on the ice.

We all worry about the Sabres making the playoffs. And I support Murray 110%. I can still hope things happen at a decent price. But if Murray feels it's worth spending extra I'm fine w/ that. He's the GM. It's his profession. Murray knows what he's doing. We do not. 

I agree....which is why I don't care about the cap or contracts....just the team on the ice

Dude -- you do understand that there is a salary cap, yes? And that every dollar that is spent on player X is a dollar that is not available to be spent on player Y?

Exactly -- there will always be budget teams with plenty of cap space who, if bribed sufficiently with other assets, will take on a player with a lower cash cost.

But I've seen some very nice things about KO's fancystats -- do you disagree?

Quite possibly, but the risk for the last couple of years is mitigated by the tradeability of his contract due to front-loading.

The kill me comment was regarding the McGinn speculation :)

Okposo is very good, he helps us right now and for several years. I hate the term, but the hate is mitigated some by the apparent movability of the deal.

I'll put it this way..

Lucic - 7x $6M

OKposo -7 x $6M

Backes - 5 x $6M

Nielsen - 6 x $5.25

Ladd - 7 x $5.5

Of those signings... I like Okposo the best.

Never mind the contracts: given the choice of each of those players, I choose KO.

Lucic is overrated, Backes and Ladd are old.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.