Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

I forgot Okposo suffered the detached retina. As someone with a permanently detached retina I'm really rooting for this guy if he lands here or not.

I have questions. And if it's not ok to ask these or you're not comfortable answering, no big deal at all, let them slide. I have zero knowledge of eye injuries.

A) Is that something that heals to 100% durability or does it always remain with a higher-than-previous chance of reoccuring (perhaps with accidental contact to the eye or vigorous impacts to head or body)?

B) Is it something that heals to 100% visual acuity or is there a permanent effect on acuity?

C) If there is a long term affect on eyesight, is it generally correctable with eyewear/contacts?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

If the Sabres have this guy sewn up before noon, it's a lock that they've overpaid.

But is it going to have to be 7 years?

most athletes are overpaid....why is this always a concern?...Obviously Murray and Pegula aren't worried about the money.....why are we?

As to A) only, it was the result of blunt force trauma so I would say the probability it could happen is the same pre and post injury.  My sister was hit with a golf ball and she has no setbacks or recurrences. Her I sight was never great so I can't speak to that.

I'm a happy camper. I think a poster here once summed up his game perfectly: "Okposo is a man." If you watch him play, you can see his stats are not a byproduct of playing with Tavares at all (did they even play together all the time?). He's heavy, he's got skill, and he plays with energy.

I feel like it doesn't necessarily.

Ennis - ROR - Okposo

Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart

Someone else had suggested that you could have an Okposo line with Reinhart and Eichel (and call it "REO"). But that can't be the case, I infer - that would be a line with three RH players (and Okposo plays on the right side, like Reinhart has with Eichel).

Which is a shame. Because REO.

Edited by That Aud Smell

most athletes are overpaid....why is this always a concern?...Obviously Murray and Pegula aren't worried about the money.....why are we?

Yeah, free agency is an auction (bidding) situation. You don't get the player if you don't slightly overpay. It is how it works. We have a ton of cap room, so I don't see the problem with throwing out some money to bring in a top winger. As others have said upthread, it isn't Stamkos money or anything.

Someone else had suggested that you could have an Okposo line with Reinhart and Eichel (and call it "REO"). But that can't be the case, I infer - that would be a line with three RH players (and Okposo plays on the right side, like Reinhart has with Eichel).

Which is a shame. Because REO.

Thats ok, you can replace it with the "REV" line, which is pretty awesome, too.

I have questions. And if it's not ok to ask these or you're not comfortable answering, no big deal at all, let them slide. I have zero knowledge of eye injuries.

A) Is that something that heals to 100% durability or does it always remain with a higher-than-previous chance of reoccuring (perhaps with accidental contact to the eye or vigorous impacts to head or body)?

B) Is it something that heals to 100% visual acuity or is there a permanent effect on acuity?

C) If there is a long term affect on eyesight, is it generally correctable with eyewear/contacts?

I'm sure that my injury was much worse than Okposo.  I suffered a ruptured globe with glass that penetrated my eye and caused a spontaneous cataract, so they removed the lens from that eye immediately.  Still, my initial prognosis was very good that I would regain normal vision with a healed retina artificial lens. Unfortunately my retina kept detaching (six times, six surgeries) over the next 12-18 months until it was time to say no mas.  During my recoveries I had to remain in a certain position nearly 24/7 and could not do any heavy lifting or physical activity so as to not risk detachment.  Okposo already went through that and is out of the woods so to speak.  So although I'm not an ophthalmologist, if his retina has remained attached for this long I'd say his risk is very low for it to detach again, and I'm sure his acuity is fine.

I'm sure that my injury was much worse than Okposo.  I suffered a ruptured globe with glass that penetrated my eye and caused a spontaneous cataract, so they removed the lens from that eye immediately.  Still, my initial prognosis was very good that I would regain normal vision with a healed retina artificial lens. Unfortunately my retina kept detaching (six times, six surgeries) over the next 12-18 months until it was time to say no mas.  During my recoveries I had to remain in a certain position nearly 24/7 and could not do any heavy lifting or physical activity so as to not risk detachment.  Okposo already went through that and is out of the woods so to speak.  So although I'm not an ophthalmologist, if his retina has remained attached for this long I'd say his risk is very low for it to detach again, and I'm sure his acuity is fine.

Damn, that sounds horrible.   How is your eyesight now?  

Damn, that sounds horrible.   How is your eyesight now?  

Gone in left eye, fine in right.  It's the new normal for me for the last decade, but I had to quickly learn to NEVER move an inch without turning my head to the left first.  I ran into a lot of people and knocked over many things during those first few months. I still struggle in crowds unless I'm with my wife as she knows to always stand on my left side.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.