Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

Cool signing. It actually looks like Samson might be our second longest serving top six forward next year. We've gone from nothing to something very good in 18 months. Well done GMTM.

Could be THE longest tenured forward in the top 6, if the others end up being O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo, Eichel, and Vesey

I wish it were a little heavier on the front end, but I'm still happy with it.

I think that's as front loaded as it can get per the current CBA. I remember some stipulation about the lowest paid year can't be less than 50% of the highest paid year and something else about year to year differences.

I think that's as front loaded as it can get per the current CBA. I remember some stipulation about the lowest paid year can't be less than 50% of the highest paid year and something else about year to year differences.

Good to know

6:01 everyone.  6:01.  If you drank your punch before then, you were safe.

Looks like you got an early start yourself. Stay classy, Buffalo Bob. Anyway, I was pointing out why his eye situation shouldn't be a big concern.

He had preventive surgery done on his opposite eye to prevent it from occurring in that eye.

Good. Thanks for adding something of value to my post instead of the mental diarrhea another offered.

I think I read that the other eye was in the early stages of detachment. Supports the theory that the first detachment wasn't hockey-related, it's just the way his eye is that predisposes him to the problem, and we shouldn't worry about KO being one hit away from the end of his career.

Better possession player, better defense, and doesn't pick up garbage only; he can create and make plays too. Better passer. Nice shot. Probably prone to more ups-and-downs, McGinn seemed incredibly consistent.

Yeah, so his stats are ###### absurd

For comparison, here's O'Reilly, Tavares, Bergeron, Eriksson (who I wanted), and Stamkos

You wanted a Hossa for your team? Congrats, you just found him. 110%

post-4071-0-02099800-1467430832_thumb.png

post-4071-0-82116700-1467430886_thumb.png

post-4071-0-70393900-1467431586_thumb.png

post-4071-0-66403000-1467431591_thumb.png

post-4071-0-85589500-1467432081_thumb.png

post-4071-0-99386600-1467432084_thumb.png

Edited by WildCard

At $6M AAV, I'm pumped to be adding Okposo. I was very leery of the "Buffalo all in" rumors, thinking we might overpay in the $7-8M range.

From what I've read, Okposo had Buffalo at or near the top of his list.  Mutual attraction.  So maybe he told his agent to work it out and don't turn it into a bidding war with other teams.

For comparison, here's O'Reilly, Tavares, and Bergeron

I have no idea how to read those charts.

Reports from other boards have the same opinion of KO as many had of Stafford. Maddeningly inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. But wait it gets better, puck hog who doesn't see his line mates and turns the puck over at the most in opportune times. Not bashing Okposo just a general observation of fan assessments.

Reports from other boards have the same opinion of KO as many had of Stafford. Maddeningly inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. But wait it gets better, puck hog who doesn't see his line mates and turns the puck over at the most in opportune times. Not bashing Okposo just a general observation of fan assessments.

Not surprising. He's a 20-25 goal scorer, that's what they do. And yes, I issued this exact defense for Stafford :)

The mild puck hog stuff is why I pencil him in next to O'Reilly rather than Eichel. Well not the whole reason, but part of it.

Statistical analysis of Okposo's impact on Buffalo (lightly speaking. What a ###### article, we do more stats here than that jamboy did)

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-okposo-an-upgrade-for-sabres-1.519215

Direct answer to the first question he was asked.

Is there anywhere I can find this interview? Or is it just this excerpt? 

Edited by WildCard

Here's Okposo's take on the Sabres and the deal

https://www.nhl.com/news/kyle-okposo-likes-cup-chances-with-buffalo-sabres/c-281105482?tid=281072352

"What sold me was ... it's the chance to win a Stanley Cup, and I think that we have a lot of pieces in play that can help us achieve that goal; that was the first factor," Okposo said. "I looked at their forwards and their top two centers with [Ryan] O'Reilly and [Jack] Eichel, those guys are only going to continue to get better. Especially Jack, he's got superstar status, and you definitely need that to win a Stanley Cup, I think, if you look at the Cup players since the lockout.

"So that was kind of first and foremost, and then as an organization, I didn't hear one bad thing about the Buffalo Sabres. The organization really reflects upon the owner and I've heard that the Pegulas do a fantastic job and are great people to play for and work for."

Edited by WildCard

theres-a-chance.jpeg

In the sense that he spoke with Moulson. He also spoke with Staff and Vanek.

Vanek spent some time on the island, but why talk to Stafford? Did they play team USA together at the worlds or?

Stafford had 38 points last season and was a -23, I don't see the comparison.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.