Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

• 2 months later...

Time for my annual Future Watch post.

The Hockey News polls NHL scouts each year asking them to rank prospects, compiles the results and publishes a list of the top 100, along with each team's top 10. I love it, because it is a representation of what actual NHL executives think about their worth.

The top 10 for the Sabres:

1) Nylander

2) Asplund

3) Guhle

4) Petersen

5) Fasching

6) Pu

7) Borgen

8) Bailey

9) Baptiste

10) Hagel

Three Sabres cracked the top 100: Nylander was 6, Asplund 39 and Guhle 70.

Overall, our 21-and-under talent (including Jack and Sam) ranks 7th.

Top 10 prospects overall: Keller, Puljujarvi, Chabot, McAvoy, Erickson Ek, Nylander, Strome, Barzal, Sergachev and Dubois

Top five teams: Winnipeg, Arizona, Toronto, Edmonton, Florida

Rankings of some notable players:

Colin White (the Lehner pick) was 12th

Samsonov (the guy we were allegedly looking at with the Lehner pick) was 18th

Boeser (the guy LGR stills weeps about when he thinks of the Lehner pick) was 19th

Roslovic (the Kane pick) was 46th.

Compher and Lemieux didn't crack the top 100

And some young defencemen some of you drool over:

21 Travis Sanheim

22 Shea Theodore

23 Jacob Larsson

30 Brandon Montour

55 Noah Juulsen

79 Derrick Pouliot

92 Samuel Morin

95 Oliver Kylington

96 Hayden Fleury

The Hockey News polls NHL scouts each year asking them to rank prospects, compiles the results and publishes a list of the top 100, along with each team's top 10. I love it, because it is a representation of what actual NHL executives think about their worth.

1) Nylander

2) Asplund

3) Guhle

4) Petersen

5) Fasching

6) Pu

7) Borgen

8) Bailey

9) Baptiste

10) Hagel

Top 10 prospects overall: Keller, Puljujarvi, Chabot, McAvoy, Erickson Ek, Nylander, Strome, Barzal, Sergachev and Dubois

Boeser (the guy LGR stills weeps about when he thinks of the Lehner pick) was 19th

21 Travis Sanheim

22 Shea Theodore

23 Jacob Larsson

30 Brandon Montour

55 Noah Juulsen

79 Derrick Pouliot

92 Samuel Morin

95 Oliver Kylington

96 Hayden Fleury

Thanks!

21 Travis Sanheim

22 Shea Theodore

23 Jacob Larsson

30 Brandon Montour  - The guy GMTM should have drafted instead of useless winger Karabacek.

55 Noah Juulsen

79 Derrick Pouliot

92 Samuel Morin

95 Oliver Kylington

96 Hayden Fleury

:flirt:

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1) Nylander

2) Asplund

3) Guhle

4) Petersen

5) Fasching

6) Pu

7) Borgen

8) Bailey

9) Baptiste

10) Hagel

21 Travis Sanheim

22 Shea Theodore

23 Jacob Larsson

30 Brandon Montour

55 Noah Juulsen

79 Derrick Pouliot

92 Samuel Morin

95 Oliver Kylington

96 Hayden Fleury

This is tremendous.  Thanks for posting!

If we can pry one of Anaheim's young defensemen away and add Guhle next year, we're a completely different team.  And, yes, I'm open to moving Kane to make that happen.  A top 4 of Risto, McCabe, Guhle, and Theodore/Larsson would be a fun defense to watch because they'd be able to get the puck moving the other way.  

Two other thoughts -

1. It's depressing that Toronto is both a better team now and has a higher rated pipeline of young players.

2. I'm wondering if one reason Toronto passed us so quickly is because they drafted similar players but in different order.  William Nylander was their 1st round pick in 2014 and he's finally contributing this year, along with Matthews (2016 pick) and Marner (2015 pick).  We drafted Reinhart, Eichel, and Nylander the last three years but Nylander is the most recent and the one that will take the longest to arrive.  If 2014-2016 was Nylander, Reinhart, Eichel (the same order they drafted Nylander, Marner, Matthews), we'd have all three here at the same time and probably be a better team.  Not much we can do about that.

Toronto sucked for far longer than us so they'd already started to add prospects to their pool years earlier. The Marlies have been a good team for a while so they've had players percolating in the pipeline that are now up and playing quite well in the N.H.L. whereas our prospects are just getting their feet wet in the A or haven't even made it that far as of yet.

This is tremendous.  Thanks for posting!

If we can pry one of Anaheim's young defensemen away and add Guhle next year, we're a completely different team.  And, yes, I'm open to moving Kane to make that happen.  A top 4 of Risto, McCabe, Guhle, and Theodore/Larsson would be a fun defense to watch because they'd be able to get the puck moving the other way.  

I completely agree with all of this except moving Kane for the defenseman.  The Sabres need to be able to find that defenseman without losing Kane, who is a key piece.

And it was a great post by dudacek.

I completely agree with all of this except moving Kane for the defenseman.  The Sabres need to be able to find that defenseman without losing Kane, who is a key piece.

And it was a great post by dudacek.

He's the only really strong trade piece we have at this point, thanks to GMTM's handiwork.  (Unless you want to move Reinhart.)  And I don't think we can have all of our key pieces be forwards.

The Sabres have a bunch of talented forwards this season and they get completely dominated by good teams because they can't get the puck out of their own end.  I think they need a really bold move to get out of this mess, and Kane makes the most sense for that given his issues last summer and questions about what it'll take to re-sign him.

I think there is a possibility because of expansion that we may be able to pry a D from Minn, Ana or the NYI without giving up Kane in the process.  All three teams are going to have a nearly impossible time protecting all their good D.  I assume they would rather get assets back from us for that D instead of losing them to LV for nothing.

The biggest issue here is that the side deal rule for this expansion draft says that such deals don't have to be made public.  For example, Ana could make a deal with LV that they won't take Silfverberg if exposed but instead take Manson and Montour will be traded for them.  A deal such as this would ultimately allow Ana to protect both Vatanen and Silfverberg.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

He's the only really strong trade piece we have at this point, thanks to GMTM's handiwork.  (Unless you want to move Reinhart.)  And I don't think we can have all of our key pieces be forwards.

I agree that they need a good defenseman, and I wouldn't be shocked if they trade Kane to get him.

They do have 2 good assets in addition to Kane, though:  Nylander and their #1 in this year's draft.  I'd rather trade either of those than Kane, and a budget-conscious team like Anaheim might prefer those assets to Kane as well.

:flirt:

Can say what you want, but we got Guhle late in the 2nd round and in a recent redraft of his year he was put in the top 20 already.

Maybe the other 29 GM's look bad now to ?   No use in harping  about players we should have drafted.

I agree that they need a good defenseman, and I wouldn't be shocked if they trade Kane to get him.

They do have 2 good assets in addition to Kane, though:  Nylander and their #1 in this year's draft.  I'd rather trade either of those than Kane, and a budget-conscious team like Anaheim might prefer those assets to Kane as well.

My ideal scenario this year, we get a top 3 pick, traded it to carolina for Hanifin.   Maybe add fasching or something.

Devante Steven appears to be doing well stats wise for a LHD any real insight?

He looked fine when Kelowna played in Seattle a couple weeks back. Barzal's line dominated everybody, but Stephens and co limited them to just power play goals (albeit 4 of them). Stephens ended with a +1 and a fighting major at the end of the third. But he didn't control the game like Guhle did when he was in town.

1) Nylander

2) Asplund

3) Guhle

4) Petersen

5) Fasching

6) Pu

7) Borgen

8) Bailey

9) Baptiste

10) Hagel

There are a couple of interesting things about this top 10.  I was surprised that Fasching is higher on the list then Bailey and Baptiste.  Fasching made the team coming out of camp, but I think Baptiste's and Bailey improved play surpassed him on the Sabres depth chart while he has been out injured.

Also I was surprised that Hagel is so far up the list.  The guy is a 6th rd pick and while improved significantly this season over last, I don't think he is as quite a proven commodity as Estephan the 6th rd pick from the year before.  I'd love to read why.  However it's great that a 6th rd pick is in our top 10.  Also I was surprised the US World Jr D, Casey Fitzgerald didn't make the top 10 over Hagel as well.

Hagel was the biggest surprise for me too.

I know he's having a good season, but the things that made him a sixth rounder haven't gone away.

Petersen is highly thought of by a lot of Sabre fans, but he I've never seen any buzz about him outside of our fan base, so it was interesting to see how he has moved up.

I think Fasching is a safer bet to be a 10-yearNHL regular than any of them, so that one doesn't surprise me. I think the injury and his slow recovery has just pushed him into forgotten status.

And it is nice to see how highly thought of Asplund is.

Definitely hoping it's the last time he does anything that stupid, but kinda sorta liking that he has a temper.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.