Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

I'm surprised that Guhle is no where to be found on that list

I'm surprised that Guhle is no where to be found on that list

Don't think you should be.

Guhle appears to be far more highly ranked by Sabre fans than prospect rankers and scouting services.

I have seen him in the top 100 in places, but mostly before this year's draft added another 50 good prospects to the pool.

Edited by dudacek

Don't think you should be.

Guhle appears to be far more highly ranked by Sabre fans than prospect rankers and scouting services.

I have seen him in the top 100 in places, but mostly before this year's draft added another 50 good prospects to the pool.

Yup. Most overrated prospect in the system. Well, him or Ullmark. I go back and forth on which.

Guhle is our best, and maybe only, hope for an upgrade on the LHD position.**

** I have no idea if that is true.

Long term this is mostly true, but that doesn't make him a top NHL prospect or even a likely top-4 Dman.

It's Guhle. People think because he can skate well he is an NHL ready player and that just isn't the case.

I think my biggest issue is when the "He would have gotten a taste of action out of camp if not for the injury" becomes "He would've made the team without the injury!" Two things separated by a giant chasm are too often being used interchangeably.

I honestly don't know that he would've gotten a taste at the NHL level last year. I know he was playing well in camp and during the preseason, but he got hurt before final cuts were made. Keeping him up while injured allows the NHL trainers to work with him and help him with recovery.

Has it ever been confirmed that he was in for a tryout if the injury didn't happen?

That said - I do think he's got a shot to make it this year.

Long term this is mostly true, but that doesn't make him a top NHL prospect or even a likely top-4 Dman.

I think my biggest issue is when the "He would have gotten a taste of action out of camp if not for the injury" becomes "He would've made the team without the injury!" Two things separated by a giant chasm are too often being used interchangeably.

Yup. When you (fans in general) start viewing preseason as just like the regular season you run into trouble. Guhle was skating good and making good passes but when real life NHL'ers played against him they closed down space faster than he could handle and could skate just as good as he could. I like Guhle a lot but he is probably 2 years away from NHL action. 

• 2 weeks later...

Asplund with three assists today and Kris Baker gave the impression he absolutely dominated the ice.

I'm really excited about this kid, so far.

Me too. It's early, but it's looking like a brilliant trade-up, thus far.

It was part of the Kulikov deal, no?

I was thinking about our prospect pool and how many prospects do we really have that have top 3 line forwards, top 4 D or starting goalie potential.

Goal: I see only Ullmark and Peterson

D: Guhle, Borgen, Nelson and Fitzgerald

Center: Asplund, Estephan, and Cornel (the Sabres list him at Center on the training camp roster)

RW: Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, and PU

LW: Nylander and maybe Carrier

I'm also curious to see if late rounders like Glotov, Hagel and Olofsson make an impact. From what i've read each has some high end skills, but fell in their drafts because of size or speed or some other factor.

I was thinking about our prospect pool and how many prospects do we really have that have top 3 line forwards, top 4 D or starting goalie potential.

Goal: I see only Ullmark and Peterson

D: Guhle, Borgen, Nelson and Fitzgerald

Center: Asplund, Estephan, and Cornel (the Sabres list him at Center on the training camp roster)

RW: Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, and PU

LW: Nylander and maybe Carrier

I'm also curious to see if late rounders like Glotov, Hagel and Olofsson make an impact. From what i've read each has some high end skills, but fell in their drafts because of size or speed or some other factor.

I'm wondering what you see in Baptiste that earns him a potential top 3 line and what is lacking in Carrier as a maybe top 3. I've seen my fare share of Baptiste and can't see him even playing in the nhl. A call up maybe someday. I believe Carrier could be productive at that level but that's even a maybe. If I were back on the pond picking from a group I'd pick Carrier every time.

Carrier has never displayed the high offensive upside Baptiste displayed in Juniors. Both are excellent defensive forwards, but the offense imho gives Baptiste the edge. Both guys scored 13 goals last year, but it was Nick's first pro season vs Carrier's second.

However, one thing in Carrier's favor is the organizational depth chart. Baptiste is competing with Bailey and Fasching for a shot in Buffalo. Bailey's 20 goals and 45 points last season gives him the lead heading into the season.

However, Carrier's only LW competition is Nylander and he is much higher on the food chain. Carrier could arguably be Foligno's replacement someday, but I see him more of a 4th line energy guy and pker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.