Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

Just like with Vesey, the rules say the kid has the right to be a UFA. Can't begrudge the kid that. I'm very disappointed because I think the kid has a chance to be great and I think we need him.

GMTM should make his best pitch, use his ability to burn a year of Cal's ELC and if he says no then trade him and get back the 3rd we used on Vesey.

I do like the idea I read on twitter that if a kid does the UFA thing, the losing team should get a compensatory pick either in the next draft or from the team signing the kid in the round the kid was originally drafted.

Has there been any indication from Petersen himself that he wants to go FA?  So far it's just a third party Twitter rant, right?

Nothing first-hand, but Kris Baker is pretty plugged in.

Murray reportedly offered Petersen a contract last year and I heard him say he plans to do so again.

I apologize if there is already a thread re college Free agents.

Here is a scouting report about that he guy bob Mckenzie said that the Sabres are on the short list for:

Gavin Bayreuther, Defence, St. Lawrence Saints, Senior (6’1″ 194 lbs), Shoots Left

A cousin of Ben Lovejoy of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Bayreuther has put up impressive offensive numbers throughout his college career. In 27 games this year he has eight goals and 27 points. He has an outstanding slap shot, with excellent power and accuracy. He shows the ability to be a power play quarterback with solid puckhandling skill, good vision, and strong passing ability. Bayreuther is also a very good skater showing good speed and the agility to walk the line and open up shooting and passing lanes. He was given offers last year, but opted to return to school. He has added strength which has helped him along the boards and in his own end of the ice. Bayreuther could still use a bit of time in the AHL and to get even stronger though.

Oh, that's right.  Happy Lent!!

Did I do that right?

Eh.  It'll do.  Lent is supposed to be a time of solemn introspection and atonement.  The "happy" part comes on Easter morning when there's lots of ham and placek and a butter lamb and colored eggs.

Eh.  It'll do.  Lent is supposed to be a time of solemn introspection and atonement.  The "happy" part comes on Easter morning when there's lots of ham and placek and a butter lamb and colored eggs.

Kind of like Ramadan.

So, maybe the traditional Arabic greeting would be better ... Ramadan Mubarak (Ramadan Blessings).

Lent Mubarak / Blessings to you, my friend.

This is disappointing news but not completely unexpected.

It just dawned on me that if Cal Petersen signs elsewhere and Ullmark get chosen by LV, we are down to one legit (semi-legit?) goalie prospect in Jonas Johansson. In fact our friend GMTM has only drafted one goalie since becoming GM and that is Johansson in 2014. Since drafted he has been up and down between the SHL and the next step down. Not exactly a NHL resume so far and another piece of the pipeline short on talent.

You make think this is crazy talk, but I give this scenario a very real chance of occuring when you consider that Petersen said he is going to explore free agency according to legitamate sources, and Ullmark will be our unprotected goalie and likely our best available player without a hefty salary.

We have all been talking about our lack of D depth, but we also should be keeping a careful eye on our goaltending situation as well. Seems like Lehner has some significant negotiating leverage.

It just dawned on me that if Cal Petersen signs elsewhere and Ullmark get chosen by LV, we are down to one legit (semi-legit?) goalie prospect in Jonas Johansson. In fact our friend GMTM has only drafted one goalie since becoming GM and that is Johansson in 2014. Since drafted he has been up and down between the SHL and the next step down. Not exactly a NHL resume so far and another piece of the pipeline short on talent.

You make think this is crazy talk, but I give this scenario a very real chance of occuring when you consider that Petersen said he is going to explore free agency according to legitamate sources, and Ullmark will be our unprotected goalie and likely our best available player without a hefty salary.

We have all been talking about our lack of D depth, but we also should be keeping a careful eye on our goaltending situation as well. Seems like Lehner has some significant negotiating leverage.

Eh, he's getting a bridge contract anyway.

The expansion draft is Murray's big chance to show us how smart he is.  He could pull a Browns and trade something to Las Vegas to convince them to take a bad contract off our hands (cough -- Bogo -- cough cough).  He could also swing a trade with a team like Anaheim or Nashville that can't protect every defenseman they want to (which makes sense for us since we only have 2 guys worth protecting now).  

Fingers crossed that he's actually an intelligent hockey mind and not the fat, smartass blowhard who has no idea what he's doing that he comes off as.

Eh, he's getting a bridge contract anyway.

The expansion draft is Murray's big chance to show us how smart he is.  He could pull a Browns and trade something to Las Vegas to convince them to take a bad contract off our hands (cough -- Bogo -- cough cough).  He could also swing a trade with a team like Anaheim or Nashville that can't protect every defenseman they want to (which makes sense for us since we only have 2 guys worth protecting now).  

Fingers crossed that he's actually an intelligent hockey mind and not the fat, smartass blowhard who has no idea what he's doing that he comes off as.

Reminded me of:

Good thing Murray used an extra pick in 2015 to acquire one of the league's most promising young goalies, who has proven himself to be an NHL starter at the tender age of 25, eh? And that guys like Nilsson and Johnson are readily available in the free agent market to help hold the fort until the guy we take with the extra second Murray acquired for Chris Stewart or the extra third he got for Mike Weber is ready. Edited by dudacek

Vegas is not taking Ullmark. They'll take Moulson, Ennis, Bogo or Girgensons... maybe Larsson if left unprotected.

Petersen is a marginal prospect at best. Not worried if he ends up toiling in the AHL for some other franchise.

Good thing Murray used an extra pick in 2015 to acquire one of the league's most promising young goalies, who has proven himself to be an NHL starter at the tender age of 25, eh? And that guys like Nilsson and Johnson are readily available in the free agent market to help hold the fort until the guy we take with the extra second Murray acquired for Chris Stewart or the extra third he got for Mike Weber is ready.

Do you mean the first rd pick he wasted on a goalie that can't stop a breakaway or an odd man rush and who has been mostly outplayed by two career backups that we got for next to nothing? ;) Do you mean that goalie? Do you mean the pick that he could have used on top D prospects Jacob Larsson or Noah Juulsen or top G prospect Samsonov? Just asking.

Edited by yse325

Good thing Murray used an extra pick in 2015 to acquire one of the league's most promising young goalies, who has proven himself to be an NHL starter at the tender age of 25, eh? And that guys like Nilsson and Johnson are readily available in the free agent market to help hold the fort until the guy we take with the extra second Murray acquired for Chris Stewart or the extra third he got for Mike Weber is ready.

How many teams that drafted at the end of the first round in 2015 would trade us that player for Lehner right now?  Would the Ducks give us Jacob Larsson for him?  Would Columbus give us Gabriel Carlsson?  Can we get Beauvillier from the Islanders?  Or even early 2nd round picks like Aho or Carlo?

(No.)

The late first round pick we traded for Lehner would have probably netted us a really strong prospect that would either already be with the team now or be ready to join and help next year.  And we would have been just fine with guys like Nilsson or Johnson this year and last.  It was not a good trade.

How many teams that drafted at the end of the first round in 2015 would trade us that player for Lehner right now?  Would the Ducks give us Jacob Larsson for him?  Would Columbus give us Gabriel Carlsson?  Can we get Beauvillier from the Islanders?  Or even early 2nd round picks like Aho or Carlo?

(No.)

The late first round pick we traded for Lehner would have probably netted us a really strong prospect that would either already be with the team now or be ready to join and help next year.  And we would have been just fine with guys like Nilsson or Johnson this year and last.  It was not a good trade.

Don't forget we also gave Uncle Bryan $3 mill of cap relief by taking Legwand of his hands.

Do you mean the first rd pick he wasted on a goalie that can't stop a breakaway or an odd man rush and who has been mostly outplayed by two career backups that we got for next to nothing? ;) Do you mean that goalie? Do you mean the pick that he could have used on top D prospects Jacob Larsson or Noah Juulsen or top G prospect Samsonov? Just asking.

What is the percentage likelihood that the goalie prospects you mentioned will have better NHL careers than Lehner?

I would guess that for each of them -- it's less than 30% that he will turn into a full-time NHL starter.

(No.)

Whoa. 

The #21 pick overall almost never makes the NHL before serving another 2 years in juniors, plus at least a year or 2 in the A.

And the #21 pick overall very often becomes a marginal NHL player/washout.  In particular:

2008 -- Anton Gustafsson © -- played 1 game in AHL and returned to Sweden

2009 -- John Moore (D) -- became a full-time NHLer in 2013-14; now low-scoring #4 defenseman on NJ

2010 -- Riley Sheahan © -- last year -- 25 pts in 81 games

2011 -- Stefan Noesen (RW) -- 33 NHL games since being drafted

2012 -- Mark Jankowski © -- 1 NHL game since being drafted

2013 -- Frederik Gauthier © -- 28 NHL games since being drafted

2014 -- Robby Fabbri © -- 66 pts in 123 NHL games -- so far he's the only solid player

2015 -- Sabres traded pick for Lehner -- Ottawa drafted Colin White © -- still in college -- too early to tell.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.