Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

I agree with your assessment of Carrier. I actually think he plays Foligno's role much more effectively. I don't agree on Baptiste though. He seemed weak to me last year. I seem to remember him being a healthy scratch quite a few times. Carriers +14 vs Baptiste's -3 seems in line with how they looked to me on ice. I'll be interested to see how he does in the A this year. We both agree that Fasching and Bailey have the better shot. I've been getting all giddy thinking about all that live hockey. Are you close enough for Amerks hockey?

I agree with your assessment of Carrier. I actually think he plays Foligno's role much more effectively. I don't agree on Baptiste though. He seemed weak to me last year. I seem to remember him being a healthy scratch quite a few times. Carriers +14 vs Baptiste's -3 seems in line with how they looked to me on ice. I'll be interested to see how he does in the A this year. We both agree that Fasching and Bailey have the better shot. I've been getting all giddy thinking about all that live hockey. Are you close enough for Amerks hockey?

I live in the Atlanta.  I follow the Amerks through video and the occasional live broadcast on the NHL Network.  I also have the Center Ice to watch my beloved Sabres.  One of the nice thing about my cable package is that I get a ton of college hockey through various fox affiliates and the bigten network.  I try to record as many of the prospect college games as possible.  

Also before you judge Baptiste to harshly remember he is a year behind Carrier on the development curve.  Carrier made huge strides in scoring and 2 way play last year.  I suspect Baptiste will make much the same jump, especially if Bailey makes the Sabres (which I think he will).

One other note.  The Amerks are over flowing with forwards for this coming season.  Sabres prospects Nylander, Carrier, Fasching, Bapiste, Cornel, Karabacek, Dupuy, Rodrigues, Catenacci, Kea and maybe Bailey, will be vying for time with vets COR, Grant, Schneider and AHL signees Lane and Muzito.  That's 16 guys right now, with 8 of the 16 with at least some NHL experience.  Should make for a very interesting year down on the farm.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Baptiste is the only Sabre who came to play tonight. 3 goals.

Baptiste is the only Sabre who came to play tonight. 3 goals.

I originally asked if you were in the area because I often have extra Amerks tickets. It would be fun to have beers and debate the futures of X,Y and Z. For the record I'm always hoping I'm wrong about my negative impressions about XYZ. I'll be watching Baptiste again this year so I'm hoping your more right than I am.

• 4 weeks later...

Notre Dame prospects Hurley and Petersen off to strong starts

http://bufsabres.co/RwCxYV

Maybe Hurley finally gets it? I've been holding out hope for him. We'll see.

+1 I was just thinking about posting this. 

I remember that Hurley was one of the younger guys in his draft. I hope after 2 more years in College and a year or 2 in Rochester he might just surprise us all.

Edited by LGR4GM

+1 I was just thinking about posting this.

I remember that Hurley was one of the younger guys in his draft. I hope after 2 more years in College and a year or 2 in Rochester he might just surprise us all.

I believe he was THE youngest player in the draft and was only eligible by a few days.

It'll be interesting to see how Murray plays it with him. It might not be smart to risk letting him get through a fourth year because he could blow up and then you've got a Vesey situation. GMs generally get their college guys done after their junior season (Hurley's a junior now) if they have a shot at being a pro. I would try to get him done now and then have him in camps and Rochester for two years.

Hurley was born Sept 15, on the day the league starts the draft year.

In my world, he's not a propect, but his linemate is, Anders Bjork (Boston). For 2015, I have Bjork as the 27th best forward in his draft class. Hurley was in the 70's last year, but I could easily have Hurley in the wrong year. I ought to look into it.

If Hurley has a big year he can easily put himself back on the Sabres radar.  Our organization is very thin a center with only Asplund and Estephan as real center prospects, unless they move Cornel back to the middle.  It would be great for the organization if Hurley (and or Malone) could develop into a promising center prospect to give us more depth and players to compete for roles in the NHL over the next 2-3 years.

With camp just about over it's become very clear who our best prospects are 

1) Nylander - getting better daily

2) Guhle - again earning a long look

3) Fasching - I thought he was behind Bailey, but his physical play around the net is really awesome. I'd love to see this great kid get a shot at staying in Buffalo.

4) Nelson -  Looks like he is going to earn last NHL slot, but D needs work

5) Bailey - Rough early camp ending well.  First call up from the Amerks.

6) Baptiste - Right on Fasching and Bailey's heels.  Looks like a much improved player.

7) Asplund - It will be interesting to watch his progress in Sweden this year.

8) Estephen - Obviously did something in camp after excellent season last year to earn a late return to juniors

9) Petersen - ND goalie continuing where he left off last year.  

10) Ullmark - Showed flashes in camp of the goalie we saw in Buffalo last year.  Amerks starter needs a big year.

11) Borgen - We need this steady player to continue his development curve

12) Carrier - I was hoping for a big camp, but.....

13) Cornel - I root for this kid.  Took a big step last year in Jrs., It will be interesting to see if he can shine in a crowded Amerks forward group.

14) Pu - Skilled forward who is going to get big minutes in Jrs this year.  Can't wait to see what he does with the opportunity

15) Fitzgerald - Can he improve on big year last season at BU?

Honorable mentions:  Hurley, Karabacek, Catenacci, Rodrigues, Dupuy, Kasdorf, Olofsson.

Potential breakout player: Vasili Glotov.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

If Hurley has a big year he can easily put himself back on the Sabres radar.  Our organization is very thin a center with only Asplund and Estephan as real center prospects, unless they move Cornel back to the middle.  It would be great for the organization if Hurley (and or Malone) could develop into a promising center prospect to give us more depth and players to compete for roles in the NHL over the next 2-3 years.

What NHL center roles? You have ROR (7yr deal), Jack Eichel (come on now), Sam Reinhart (Currently a winger), and Larsson/Zemgus who are both young and can fill that 3rd line center spot. Not a lot of room for NHL centers in Buffalo. 

Edited by LGR4GM

What NHL center roles? You have ROR (7yr deal), Jack Eichel (come on now), Sam Reinhart (Currently a winger), and Larsson/Zemgus who are both young and can fill that 3rd line center spot. Not a lot of room for NHL centers in Buffalo.

You have no idea what this lineup will look like 2-3 years from now and don't you want prospects pushing the vets for jobs? Can you guess that ROR and Eichel will still be in the middle, sure, but after that who knows. You can't assume that Larsson and or Girgensons will continue to develop and earn long-term deals or that we'll have cap space to afford it. Injuries, trades, and prospect development, and about 100 other things will also effect who are centers are in 2018 or 2019. It's why GMTM added Asplund to our prospect pool. He doesn't want to end up like Reiger and have no depth in the prospect pool down the middle, but Asplund isn't enough.

Remember how great we were down the middle coming out of the 1st lock out with Connolly, Gaustad, Roy, Briere and Drury down the middle? Then just a few years later Connolly had concussions, Briere and Drury left in Free Agency and all we had left was Roy who wasn't good enough to build a team around. Do you want to live through that again? Things can change pretty quickly in a lineup.

Depth in the organization is the only way to survive.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

You have no idea what this lineup will look like 2-3 years from now. Can you guess that ROR and Eichel will still be in the middle, sure, but after that who knows. You can't assume that Larsson and or Girgensons will continue to develop and earn long-term deals or that we'll have cap space to afford it. Injuries, trades, and prospect development, and about 100 other things will also effect who are centers are in 2018 or 2019. It's why GMTM added Asplund to our prospect pool. He doesn't want to end up like Reiger and have no depth in the prospect pool down the middle, but Asplund isn't enough.

Remember how great we were down the middle coming out of the 1st lock out with Connolly, Gaustad, Roy, Briere and Drury down the middle? Then just a few years later Connolly had concussions, Briere and Drury left in Free Agency and all we had left was Roy who wasn't good enough to build a team around. Do you want to live through that again? Things can change pretty quickly in a lineup.

Depth in the organization is the only way to survive.

I have a fairly good idea what the lineup will look like in 2 years down the road. Depth is good, but we didn't draft Asplund because we needed center depth. We appear to be drafting bpa. If we drafted for depth we wouldn't have taken Nylander or Asplund and would have taken defenders.

As someone who was actively advocating tanking in 2013, yes I am aware of what happened to our centers post lockout. Management over Drury, ignored Briere and Connolly got injured. Then they spent 7 years not bothering to address the issue. I don't forsee that happening again.

I hope all our prospects do well.

I have a fairly good idea what the lineup will look like in 2 years down the road. Depth is good, but we didn't draft Asplund because we needed center depth. We appear to be drafting bpa. If we drafted for depth we wouldn't have taken Nylander or Asplund and would have taken defenders.

I'm going to call BS on you having a fairly good idea on who will be here in 2 years. 18 players on the current roster are currently free agents (Risto) or will be free agents over the next 2 years including both goaltenders. Of these 9 are UFA's and 2 others, Moulson and Ennis will only have 1 year left assuming one (Moulson) won't be bought out or lost in the expansion draft. If you can figure out which prospects will win jobs, who trader Tim will acquire and who he will re-sign or sign as free agents you need to be playing the lottery.

Also Nylander and Asplund were drafted to fill needs in our prospect pool, although I agree that Asplund was the best player available. LW and Center were our two weakest positions in our pipeline heading into the draft. Guhle, Nelson and the emergence of Borgen give us depth on D. Ullmark and Petersen give us depth in goal and the 3 musketeers, Bailey, Fasching and Baptiste give us excellent depth on RW.

I'm going to call BS on you having a fairly good idea on who will be here in 2 years. 18 players on the current roster are currently free agents (Risto) or will be free agents over the next 2 years including both goaltenders. Of these 9 are UFA's and 2 others, Moulson and Ennis will only have 1 year left assuming one (Moulson) won't be bought out or lost in the expansion draft. If you can figure out which prospects will win jobs, who trader Tim will acquire and who he will re-sign or sign as free agents you need to be playing the lottery.

Also Nylander and Asplund were drafted to fill needs in our prospect pool, although I agree that Asplund was the best player available. LW and Center were our two weakest positions in our pipeline heading into the draft. Guhle, Nelson and the emergence of Borgen give us depth on D. Ullmark and Petersen give us depth in goal and the 3 musketeers, Bailey, Fasching and Baptiste give us excellent depth on RW.

Nylander was drafted because he was the best player available. Asplund was drafted because he was the best player available. They don't fill needs in our prospects pool. We needed defense. Chychrun was available at #8 and so were a bunch of other defenders, and when Asplund was drafted there were several good defenders available there. We are drafted BPS. 

Guhle is a ??????  Borgen is a ?????? and Nelson is hopefully at least a bottom pair guy. You want me to list our wingers? Because I just listed about the only 3 defenders we could say right now have a good shot of making the team at some point. For wingers I can think of about 6 players off the top of my head who fit that description. Nylander, Bailey, Fasching, Carrier, Olofsson, Baptiste. As for centers, our top 2 centers are good and if we want we can bump ROR to the 3rd line as a shut down center in 2 years because TBH Reinhart is very capable of being the #2 center on this team. I am glad we have some center depth behind larsson and zemgus because we could use some options but I feel pretty confident that in 2 years our top 3 centers will be ROR, Eichel and Larsson. Even if Larsson goes away, 3rd line centers can be found. 

As to the bolded... I count 15 players. Many of which are guys like Risto, Jack, Sam, Foligno, Zemgus, and many others are Gorges, Franson, Gionta etc... let's say half of them re-sign. Specifically Risto, Jack, Sam, Kulikov, a GT, Larsson, Foligno, Des.  That leaves what? 5-6 spots we need someone else to fill. Let's say 6 because backup GT is already out because who cares and all the GT depth. So 6 spots. 2 defenders and we will say 4 forwards. Well Nylander, Fasching, Bailey fill up 3 of the forward spots. The 2 defender spots you have 1 for Nelson who I assume is re-signed and then maybe Guhle or whoever? So again... why are we concerned with center depth? It is probably the strongest position for Buffalo. Top 2 is locked up for however long, 3rd line has 2 guys battling it out with Larsson in the lead currently. 4th line spot we can hire any vet to fill it or maybe Grant works out.

Bottom line... between the glut of wingers on this team and the several guys who could play center in 2 years, our prospect pool is deep everywhere except one place... Defense. For Defense we have 3 guys maybe. Oh yippy freaking skippy.

Edited by LGR4GM

Nylander had a goal and an assist in a loss today.

I wish Rochester would get it together and start winning, would rather instill that in our kids.

Yeah I wonder how the Sabres owned Sabres managed Sabres player stocked team can finally start winning some games. slackers... Edited by inkman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.