RD 1, Pick 8: Alex Nylander LW/RW

Hoss

Watching the highlights.  God, I love a player who doesn't need to stop the puck to shoot it - on net.  The break-away skill, wow.  He has those top far-corner shots down.  He's like the Eichel of wingers. Very patient and confident. Looks like he belongs in a metal band. 

This guy on a line with Eichel and Reinhart, wut?  That'll be a treat.

Watching the highlights.  God, I love a player who doesn't need to stop the puck to shoot it - on net.  The break-away skill, wow.  He has those top far-corner shots down.  He's like the Eichel of wingers. Very patient and confident. Looks like he belongs in a metal band. 

Shhhhhhh! Don't let Vesey see this!

Very solid pick! I think I slightly preferred Sergachev, but then again my total knowledge of 2016 hockey prospects consisted of about 30 minutes worth of YouTube videos with terrible rap or metal music in the background. 

Heading into this offseason, the Sabres needed 2 more top 6 forwards and a top lefty defenseman in order to complete the rebuild. We're now one-third of the way there. Vesey and Fowler (or their equivalents) would complete it.

I would say 1 year of development. Especially since he can get in the AHL right away

That is good.   Just seen his interview and he seems to be pumped buffalo picked him, Murray wanted him badly to and probably nerved the Fowler deal for it.

kid had a smile on his face when he was talking about future games against his brother.

Edited by Huckleberry

Agree....something I like in the highlights is that he uses a WRIST shot.  I think too many NHL forwards depend on a slapper which end up being off target or deflected by the opposing defense....in other words missed SOG's and scoring opportunities.

I wanted D as well but BPA was Alex on GMTM's list.

I like the options we have for his development,

The skill level of our top six will be awesome. We will also be able to split talent on three lines.

Let's get Vesey done soon.

Still need a D but really like this pick along with Getting Vesey done solves skilled scoring foreward need if both signed in spades. Get a D and draft D in 2 and 3rd to go along with Guhle, Borgen and Nelson near developed and Chukarov et al a few years out and gotta believe Sabres have some debth coming.

I was really glad Keller went at #7 as I loved the kid and am pretty sure BUF would have passed on him. Happy with Nylander as I went in only hoping they wouldn't trade #8 for Fowler or take chychrun. When you get the drafts best skater and best shooter at #8, that's got to be a good thing. He just need to add muscle/weight. He'll replace Kane nicely in 2 years

I missed all the drama last night. Camp out with kids. I fell in love with Nylander after WJC s. I was hoping for Sergachev for the simple reason that Serg is the defensive equivalent of Nylander. Incredible skill skating shot etc. This am I am looking at it as we filled a need on the wing with a true winger instead of a converted center. I think the plan is for Samson to make that move to his natural position sooner rather than later. The creativity and explosiveness up front in the coming years is going to be enjoyable to watch. Good pick. I am in the minority, but I think he may be on the big club by the end of February especially if Vesey doesn't sign.

Some quick thoughts on the pick:

1. I really like that we didn't get sucked into drafting for position.

2. I also really like that we didn't trade the pick since there's an expansion draft coming up, and probably another one pretty soon after that.

3. His highlights are really impressive.  They show highlights for every guy in the draft and you can tell some guys are mostly just great athletes and have great stats because their athleticism helps them put the puck on the net more.  Nylander's highlights show a lot of goals where he's being really patient, or faking out the goalie, or picking a corner with his wrist shot.  His skill really stands out (at least in the goals they showed).

4. The response to the pick seems really muted.  Maybe the Reinhart and Eichel picks spoiled us.  Pre-2014, I feel like a 1st round pick like this would have had this board in a frenzy.   In the bad old days, Grigorenko at 12 had us excited.  :sick:

Some quick thoughts on the pick:

1. I really like that we didn't get sucked into drafting for position.

2. I also really like that we didn't trade the pick since there's an expansion draft coming up, and probably another one pretty soon after that.

3. His highlights are really impressive.  They show highlights for every guy in the draft and you can tell some guys are mostly just great athletes and have great stats because their athleticism helps them put the puck on the net more.  Nylander's highlights show a lot of goals where he's being really patient, or faking out the goalie, or picking a corner with his wrist shot.  His skill really stands out (at least in the goals they showed).

4. The response to the pick seems really muted.  Maybe the Reinhart and Eichel picks spoiled us.  Pre-2014, I feel like a 1st round pick like this would have had this board in a frenzy.   In the bad old days, Grigorenko at 12 had us excited.  :sick:

The response is muted more in comparison to Murray's wheelings and dealings last year than the second picks. The expectation was phase two, to get better now, but it didn't happen.

As for highlights, I take them with a grain of salt. He won't be making many of those moves on NHL defensemen and goalies.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.