RD 1, Pick 8: Alex Nylander LW/RW

Hoss

Yes he was on loan to the OHL last season and therefore is exempt from the CHL-NHL Transfer Agreement

They interviewed him on Sportsnet here, and they asked him what his goal was for next season, if he was excited to potentially play with his dad in Europe next season. He said his no, his goal was to be playing for the Buffalo Sabres.

Pretty awesome.

It's worse than that. He was authorized to provide you guys with free beer. :beer:

Never forgive. Never forget.

IIRC, you've been lobbying for Nylander for a while, yes? So you're accountable for this one?

I don't believe I was the first to lobby for him, but I will shoulder the responsibility nonetheless.

#Sabres GM Tim Murray said he had another interview on Friday with Alex Nylander and told him "I'll see you Friday night."

Nylander Highlights

Many people want Stamkos as a sniper on Jack's wing. You may be looking at your future finisher for Eichel. His shot is absurd 

Edited by WildCard

But this still leaves the D wide open. I don't wanna see us as a barely better version of Edmonton.

Gotta be calm. in GMTM I shall trust...

The defense for 2016-2017 was not going to be addressed in this year's draft

Ink has it. Though I do share your worry, StuckinFL. Until we make a trade for a top 4 guy, I will still be seriously worried about this team moving forward. That, and signing Vessey

So his dad played in the NHL for 16 seasons, then 6 more in Europe before retiring at age 42. And his brother was drafted by the leafs a couple of years ago, also at #8.

And there's this: when LQ and TG butchered the Chris Drury contract in 2007, Michael Nylander had just finished his contract with the Rangers. He signed with the Capitals on Black Sunday. LQ mentioned at the postmortem presser, in a feeble attempt to deflect blame, that if Nylander had stayed with the Rangers, Drury wouldn't have signed with them and would've stayed with the Sabres. It was and remains obvious LQ BS, but it popped to mind when I was looking at Michael's stats.

It's a new era. And the kid's highlights look impressive.

LQ mentioned at the postmortem presser, in a feeble attempt to deflect blame, that if Nylander had stayed with the Rangers, Drury wouldn't have signed with them and would've stayed with the Sabres. It was and remains obvious LQ BS, but it popped to mind when I was looking at Michael's stats.

Ah, we miss you LQ. We really miss you dude.

So his dad played in the NHL for 16 seasons, then 6 more in Europe before retiring at age 42. And his brother was drafted by the leafs a couple of years ago, also at #8.

And there's this: when LQ and TG butchered the Chris Drury contract in 2007, Michael Nylander had just finished his contract with the Rangers. He signed with the Capitals on Black Sunday. LQ mentioned at the postmortem presser, in a feeble attempt to deflect blame, that if Nylander had stayed with the Rangers, Drury wouldn't have signed with them and would've stayed with the Sabres. It was and remains obvious LQ BS, but it popped to mind when I was looking at Michael's stats.

So his dad "screwed us over", according to LQ (ha, ha), and now his son has arrived to bring us back to glory and help overthrow the darkness his father helped come about. So Alex Nylander is Luke Skywalker. (He certainly has the hair)

Michael is Darth Vader.

William is Leia.

What is really nice about this pick also is he doesn't have to go back to juniors to play next year if he doesn't stick on the team. They can play him in Rochester which would hopefully speed up his development. Speed is off the charts with this kid also.

This might be the smallest thread we've ever had for our 1st round pick, let alone a #8 pick where a guy who was rated in the top 5 miraculously fell down to us. Rejoice!

It's one of those things where I/we just had no idea what was going to happen, both with trades and who we would pick, how the draft would unfold. Lots of uncertainty surrounding everything so, for me, it takes a little time to process.

The more time goes by, the more ecstatic I am for this pick. He's a top flight talent. What a player to add as possibly the last true as-a-result-of-the-rebuild piece.

Interestingly, our best 4 young players, the first rounders from the last 4 drafts, are all right handed shots.

It's one of those things where I/we just had no idea what was going to happen, both with trades and who we would pick, how the draft would unfold. Lots of uncertainty surrounding everything so, for me, it takes a little time to process.

The more time goes by, the more ecstatic I am for this pick. He's a top flight talent. What a player to add as possibly the last true as-a-result-of-the-rebuild piece.

Interestingly, our best 4 young players, the first rounders from the last 4 drafts, are all right handed shots.

Very true. I also think we had such high hopes for some major trades, and Edmonton lucking out again really put a damper on the whole thing. I think you're right though, over the summer we'll start to become enamored with Nylander

I seem to recall TBPhD and few others touting Nylander in the draft thread.  Not a guy I thought would be available for us, so, he's been off my radar.  I will have to catch up on him. How did he do at the combine?  From what I know, this seems to be one of those crazy end-cap deals you score once a decade.

What is really nice about this pick also is he doesn't have to go back to juniors to play next year if he doesn't stick on the team. They can play him in Rochester which would hopefully speed up his development. Speed is off the charts with this kid also.

Are you sure?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.