RD 1, Pick 8: Alex Nylander LW/RW

Hoss

I have no idea who that is, but I've been in a few orchestras. Viola player jokes : orchestras :: Polish jokes : 1985 Buffalo

Sure.

But do you Tweet? Kate Holzemer (sp?) is a fun Sabres-ish follow. She plays viola for the BPO and is originally from ... Minnesota, I think.

Don't think I've commented in here yet.  Really like the pick.  Would have preferred Keller slightly to Nylander but he was off the board so I'm very glad Murray went with Nylander over Serg.  Guy has elite skill.  I think we've got enough horses who can play big and physical.  It was the perfect time to add a high end skill guy to the group.

I'm thinking Jari Kurri.

Hopefully not Tim Curry though. Actually, that'd be pretty awesome too, but maybe not for the Sabres.

It was much worse in 1975

My Father-in-Law was flabbergasted that MrsPie and I invited him to the Polish festival in Sloan. He told me that when he was young, you hid the fact you were Polish as if your relatives were notorious criminals. Things change, sometimes for the better!  (Fun fact: I asked him "permission" to marry MrsPie while we were there)

Kurri had the shot, but not the puck handling or explosiveness IMO.

He made up for it by being one of the most positionally sound players I ever seen.

Well, I'd say Kurri had the speed, although that's not quite the same as "explosiveness." 

He also had great hands, but you're probably right about the puck handling.

My Father-in-Law was flabbergasted that MrsPie and I invited him to the Polish festival in Sloan. He told me that when he was young, you hid the fact you were Polish as if your relatives were notorious criminals. Things change, sometimes for the better!  (Fun fact: I asked him "permission" to marry MrsPie while we were there)

Congratulations by the way!!!! Marrying a nice Polish girl.

The height of the Polish traditions was in the late 50's and early 60's. Sattlers, Kobackers, Neisners, Kolipinski's Furniture and the Polish Market were mainstays on Broadway. What I remember most about Sattlers as a kid was the giant escalator in it. Mom used to take me on shopping sprees, we would take the NFT to Broadway and when we finished there we would transfer the NFT to downtown. I want to say her favorite store there was Grants but that was so long ago my brain cells may not be functioning properly

Favorite Polish jokes (I am Polish on both mother and fathers side by the way) Circa 1975

A mexican, italian and Polack were working on the top floor of a construction project

The mexican said if I have to eat one more taco for lunch I'm going to jump off this building

The italian said if I have to eat one more pizza for lunch I'm going to jump off this building

The Polack said if I have to eat one more baloney sandwich for lunch I'm going to jump off this building

Next day

The mexican saw his taco and jumped to his death

The italian saw his pizza and jumped to his death

The Polack saw his baloney sandwich and jumped to his death

At the funeral

The mexican wife said if I knew he hated tacos I wouldn't have made him it again

The italian wife said if I knew he hated pizzas I wouldn't have made him it again

Everyone then looked at the Polish wife and she said "don't look at me, he makes his own baloney sandwiches"!!!!!!!!!

Sign at the gun store

Polish infantry rifle for sale

Once dropped never fired

Edited by jsb

Yea, I still like our GM

"33. Buffalo GM Tim Murray has it down to four words: “Buffalo selects Alex Nylander.”

Don’t know if he can get that any lower, but he told Jeff Marek during the week that one day he wants to go to the podium and simply point at whoever he’s taking. THAT I want to see."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-couldnt-edmonton-montreal-make-deal/

Filip Forsberg. Maybe Alex is shiftier.

I like this comparison.  I think Alex has 30/30 potential for sure.  He's not going to battle in the corners or play a ROR style game.  But offensively he's going to put up numbers.  Slide in his skill set with a guy like Jack and he could put up some unbelievable numbers.  His coach said he's the most skilled players he's ever seen in all his years of coaching.

Yea, I still like our GM

"33. Buffalo GM Tim Murray has it down to four words: “Buffalo selects Alex Nylander.”

Don’t know if he can get that any lower, but he told Jeff Marek during the week that one day he wants to go to the podium and simply point at whoever he’s taking. THAT I want to see."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-couldnt-edmonton-montreal-make-deal/

Ha. Almost as though he reads this board. Someone here had suggested he do something like this with the Eichel pick.

If Murray has any interest in us, he would be like the Martians in the War of the Worlds.

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment.

If Murray has any interest in us, he would be like the Martians in the War of the Worlds.

The musical audio book of War of the Worlds is unbelievably good. Listened to it several times on a road trip throughout the States.

...as if you can hide dat accent dere.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.