End of Year Press Conference

WildCard

I think you would have to offer a player like OEL straight up for #8 for him to consider moving that pick. He sounded very content with drafting 1 of the 3 defenders. I would want to know which one he views as the best, Chychrun, Sergachev or Juolevi

I'll probably make another thread at some point making the same observation, but I love GMTM. I could listen to him talk all day. For me, he's by far the most interesting sports personality to listen to. For a person who doesn't actually play, he adds to my entertainment substantially - and not in the Rex Ryan circus way.

Thank you Patty. I love that he is our GM right now.

I'll probably make another thread at some point making the same observation, but I love GMTM. I could listen to him talk all day. For me, he's by far the most interesting sports personality to listen to. For a person who doesn't actually play, he adds to my entertainment substantially - and not in the Rex Ryan circus way.

Really well put.

Mcdonalds been trying to get into the belgium market for years now, they have given up.

Every town in belgium has 1 - 2 spots where you can get better fries and burgers at same or cheaper price.

And then there is the competition from Quick, pretty much like Mcdonalds but more liked in france and belgium, just bought by burger king, but they will be dumping the belgian franchises for the same reason.

I wonder if there's an import/exchange thing going on here. There are tons of places that serve better burgers than McD's, but (last I checked, a few years ago) nothing that'll touch the ~$1-2 for the basic and maybe $5 for the fancy stuff. You can get great burgers, but they're going to start around $6-8.

Thank you Patty. I love that he is our GM right now.

Couldn't agree more. Honestly didn't want the presser to end.

My observations:

-He and I are of like mind on the need to add a high end puck moving defenseman. However, I think he made it pretty clear he's aware  how hard it will be.

-Obviously he can't talk about Stamkos in particular, but he came across happy with our high end forwards. I think he even said at one point "we have a lot of high end forwards" then went on to talk about how we have prospects coming, with Bailey's name in particular being mentioned. Combine that with our continued interest in Caggiula, and I think he's more interested in cheap youth with potential on the wings than taking a huge swing at a big name. Beyond Stamkos, it doesn't seem to me that someone like Okposo is really on the radar. Maybe he swings at a buy-low RFA in a vulnerable situation, but I'm not sure I see him giving up major assets here.

-Loved him saying that Jack is going to treat the offseason like training for a prize fight. Perfect.

-Definitely comes off that he and Bylsma have a healthy working relationship. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during a few of their talks.

-It was mentioned by somebody else, but his comments on Ennis were super fascinating. Kinda seems that Ennis was getting by as the most talented guy on bad teams, and was in a bit of system shock that he might only be the 5th or 6th most talented forward. I'm excited to see him next year.

-It's not surprising it happened, but I really wish fewer questions were about Jack & Samson and more (see: any) asked about Pysyk, McCabe, Bogosian, Foligno, Larsson, and Girgensons. Jack and Samson were great this year and got better and there's no reason to expect them to stop, and they're not going anywhere. I find the secondary pieces to be more interesting to talk about with respect to team building.

-Likewise, I'm not sure I would have utilized this end of season presser to ask about McCormick and Franson, with all due respect to (and hope for) their health.

-Chad Johnson: if he wants to get paid as a starter, he's not coming back. I think Murray made it pretty clear he thinks Johnson is a high end backup, nothing more.

-Murray, for the first time with any conviction since he was hired, said the playoffs were the goal next year. Awesome. If he thinks it, we should too. I almost want the playoffs to be over to get to the offseason moves sooner.

Murray: "I do have some GMs who will talk to me and make a trade with me, so that's a good thing."

This sounds an awful lot like something is in the works. I know the Kane and O'Reilly deals weren't just spur of the moment. He had talked to those GMs a ton.

I did not get to watch, was GMTM asked about any efforts to go after Harvard's Hobey Baker winner, Jimmy Vesey ? I found a YouTube clip of him taking over a game against my alma mater by scoring a hat trick in the 3rd period for a 3-1 win. Pretty damn impressive, and he has a Yeichel connection.

I did not get to watch, was GMTM asked about any efforts to go after Harvard's Hobey Baker winner, Jimmy Vesey ? I found a YouTube clip of him taking over a game against my alma mater by scoring a hat trick in the 3rd period for a 3-1 win. Pretty damn impressive, and he has a Yeichel connection.

GMTM can't say anything about Vesey until august 15th when he becomes a ufa.

In the one-on-one with Duff after the pc, Murray says Girgensons spoke to him the same way Ennis did during his exit interview - unsolicited, Girgs said "I sucked and have to be better."

I'd encourage you guys to watch the Gionta ROR and especially Gorges interviews from locker clean-out day at the Sabres site. Just three guys who aren't satisfied with being better. There is a reason Eichel is moving into Rocky mode. Murray did a great job picking leaders for this team.

Listening to Gorges talk about Risto and our other young Dmen made me smile.

From the same set of interviews, Larsson and Foligno sound like guys who feel like they have found their role and plan to be back.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.