End of Year Press Conference

WildCard

Sabres Fan In NS, on 12 Apr 2016 - 2:08 PM, said:

I agree.

I also hope he has a role with the team going forward.  Cody has been one of my favourite Sabres of recent times.

Didn't GMTM mention something to that effect?  Both times I listened to the presser, I've been interrupted, but I thought I heard something to the effect that Cody has been at the rink everyday, helping out and can see a role for him like that..?

Didn't GMTM mention something to that effect?  Both times I listened to the presser, I've been interrupted, but I thought I heard something to the effect that Cody has been at the rink everyday, helping out and can see a role for him like that..?

He did mention that he was around and doing something, but I didn't catch exactly what that was.  He did say that Cody seemed to enjoy it and he seemed to say that they would like Cody to be doing something with the Sabres going forward.

He did mention that he was around and doing something, but I didn't catch exactly what that was.  He did say that Cody seemed to enjoy it and he seemed to say that they would like Cody to be doing something with the Sabres going forward.

he was helping rehabbing players on ice.

It was the basis on the entire end of year press conference in 2013. 

http://news.wbfo.org/post/listen-sabres-end-year-press-conference

What a sh1t show that was. That sort of stuff is, I think, why Ted Black is no longer with the team.

The franchise is in a very, very different place than it was in April 2013. Lindy Ruff had just been fired. Regier was still sitting around as a lame duck, talking about suffering.

Quite unlike 2013, there is a clear direction for the franchise now. The course has been charted and is being followed.

Was anyone calling for Pegula to speak this year? Does anyone want him to? It mattered not to me.

Has any other team owner participated in a season's end press conference this year? I'm asking.

Edited by That Aud Smell

It was the basis on the entire end of year press conference in 2013. 

http://news.wbfo.org/post/listen-sabres-end-year-press-conference

In 2013 TPegs didn't have a real coach and gm to simply answer the questions outright. If your owner is speaking at end of year stuff you have problems.  I almost never hear about other teams owners speaking except for the few owners who are really heavily involved which Pegula has not been really since GMTM took over.

In 2013 TPegs didn't have a real coach and gm to simply answer the questions outright. If your owner is speaking at end of year stuff you have problems.  I almost never hear about other teams owners speaking except for the few owners who are really heavily involved which Pegula has not been really since GMTM took over.

Pegula didn't speak at that presser.

then what are we even talking about?

about the OP's question (at least I think this was the question) on why, if demand had been made for Terry Pegula to speak in April 2013 (along with accusations of Ted Black being a liar and Mike Harrington saying defamatory things), the same demand was not being made in April 2016.

What a sh1t show that was. That sort of stuff is, I think, why Ted Black is no longer with the team.

The franchise is in a very, very different place than it was in April 2013. Lindy Ruff had just been fired. Regier was still sitting around as a lame duck, talking about suffering.

Quite unlike 2013, there is a clear direction for the franchise now. The course has been charted and is being followed.

Was anyone calling for Pegula to speak this year? Does anyone want him to? It mattered not to me.

Has any other team owner participated in a season's end press conference this year? I'm asking.

Interesting that you refer to Darcy as a lame duck. He had just gotten an extension a few months before that. And interesting that you think there was no clear direction in April 2013. I just listened to most of that presser (because it was awesome! Harrington and Scott Brown were on their game) and the outline Darcy presented of where the franchise had been, where it was and where it was going it exactly what we've seen play out: suffering, the accumulation of picks, the use of picks to get top players, either through the draft or trades, the need to have top players and be a top team and not just make the playoffs and hope to catch lightning in a bottle, and so on. I still wonder why Darcy got fired.

There's another line in the water...

See the way he jiggered the bobber and such? That's how you do it, son. I might even circle back around.

I wondered about this. The OP is unfamiliar to me. But I think his question was asked in earnest. Was I hooked?

I thought 11 was referring to LIGERPEG.

Interesting that you refer to Darcy as a lame duck. He had just gotten an extension a few months before that. And interesting that you think there was no clear direction in April 2013. I just listened to most of that presser (because it was awesome! Harrington and Scott Brown were on their game) and the outline Darcy presented of where the franchise had been, where it was and where it was going it exactly what we've seen play out: suffering, the accumulation of picks, the use of picks to get top players, either through the draft or trades, the need to have top players and be a top team and not just make the playoffs and hope to catch lightning in a bottle, and so on. I still wonder why Darcy got fired.

Yeah - the lame duck thing is misplaced on my part. That's 20/20 hindsight.

I'll refrain from offering my opinion of Harrington in that press conference (doctor's orders) -- other than to say neither he nor Ted Black covered themselves in any kind of glory.

I don't disagree that Regier's vision for the franchise in April 2013 is substantially similar to the one that GM TM has planned and executed to date. A key question, though, is whether the owner should have entrusted Regier to execute that vision given where he'd landed the team, given how the fan base would feel about another go-around with DR, and so on. 

If you were to poll 200 knowledgeable Sabre fans (including those who knew about the Adelphia bankruptcy (!)) and ask them whether it was time for Darcy to go in November 2013, I'd wager that a landslide majority would say "yes."

I don't disagree that Regier's vision for the franchise in April 2013 is substantially similar to the one that GM TM has planned and executed to date. A key question, though, is whether the owner should have entrusted Regier to execute that vision given where he'd landed the team, given how the fan base would feel about another go-around with DR, and so on. 

If you were to poll 200 knowledgeable Sabre fans (including those who knew about the Adelphia bankruptcy (!)) and ask them whether it was time for Darcy to go in November 2013, I'd wager that a landslide majority would say "yes."

YES.

Yeah - the lame duck thing is misplaced on my part. That's 20/20 hindsight.

I'll refrain from offering my opinion of Harrington in that press conference (doctor's orders) -- other than to say neither he nor Ted Black covered themselves in any kind of glory.

But what changed between the extension in January and November?

then what are we even talking about?

PA, do you think or expect TPEGs to talk at the presser?

It might be nice. I don't think there should be this idea that owners don't do press conferences. There could be the caveat that he's not going to answer questions that should be directed to the GM or coach. But he certainly could speak to the jobs they are doing, the state of the hockey and business sides of the franchise and so forth.

It's a moot point. I think after Terry made the unfortunate Brown-Black gaffe and called into Hockey Hotline to pop off that one time, either he or his handlers decided to dial it back. Has he spoken before the media since the LaFontaine hiring presser?

Edited by PASabreFan

Pegula had a chance meeting with PLF.

It's a moot point. I think after Terry made the unfortunate Brown-Black gaffe and called into Hockey Hotline to pop off that one time, either he or his handlers decided to dial it back. Has he spoken before the media since the LaFontaine hiring presser?

Was that the "what's he done wrong" call? No. That was with Howard Simon, I think.

It might be nice. I don't think there should be this idea that owners don't do press conferences. There could be the caveat that he's not going to answer questions that should be directed to the GM or coach. But he certainly could speak to the jobs they are doing, the state of the hockey and business sides of the franchise and so forth.

IMHO, it was seeing that DR wasn't just trying to nose the competition out for 30th but rather that he was trying to rival the '80-'81 Jets (Jest?). It was witnessing that DR was VERY serious about bringing "suffering" to the team & the fans.

Again, IMHO, had DR/RR's version of the '13-'14 Sabres rivaled the '14-'15 Sabres for competitiveness; DR might still be here. Along w/ Myers, Grigorenko, Zadorov, & a couple more prospects that the Sabres drafted. And instead of looking fondly towards what '16-'17 might bring, we'd all be wondering if Matthews or the 2 Scandanavians could be that piece that gets the Sabres out of Euler-level land while having little faith that they would.

Again IMHO, this team would still have no veteran centers to build around and any vets they had would be of the Niedermeier variety, at best.

Pegula had a chance meeting with PLF.

Was that the "what's he done wrong" call? No. That was with Howard Simon, I think.

A better & more succinct answer. :thumbsup:

IMHO, it was seeing that DR wasn't just trying to nose the competition out for 30th but rather that he was trying to rival the '80-'81 Jets (Jest?). It was witnessing that DR was VERY serious about bringing "suffering" to the team & the fans.

Again, IMHO, had DR/RR's version of the '13-'14 Sabres rivaled the '14-'15 Sabres for competitiveness; DR might still be here. Along w/ Myers, Grigorenko, Zadorov, & a couple more prospects that the Sabres drafted. And instead of looking fondly towards what '16-'17 might bring, we'd all be wondering if Matthews or the 2 Scandanavians could be that piece that gets the Sabres out of Euler-level land while having little faith that they would.

I'm not sure I follow: You believe Pegula separated DR because he thought DR was prepared to go too nuclear? Or do you believe that, had DR really gone full-on tank in 13-14, he'd still be here along with other players that GM TM jettisoned? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.