End of Year Press Conference

WildCard

Correct me if I am wrong, but since he did not sign with the Preds isn't he already an UFA, or is he still restricted by the date?

No, they own his rights until August 15th. You are thinking of an undrafted college player, like Caggiula. Vesey was drafted and is only becoming a ufa because of a special cba clause.

They stil have his rights until July 1st.

August. He's class whatever ufa under the cba.

Is the full video anywhere?  Sabres.com only has the 1-on-1 post interviews and the stream link to nhl.com no longer works.

Here's the full video.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/season-ending-press-conference/t-277437090/c-43452903

All of Duff's 1-1 interviews can be found on the bottom as well

"I don't think if I trade that pick, I could get a high back end top guy." Roughly what he said. This to me indicates he is taking a defender

Yup. Combine this with his praise earlier about our 'high end' forwards and talented forward group coming up

Agreed. And it also says to me that, because he's thinking about that high end D type player, that if we were to luck into 1st overall, he would explore the potential for an OEL type trade for the pick, should a deal like that be in any way available.

Guys, we're not trading out of our pick.

Short of him being offered a deal where he can land an OEL/Barrie, I really doubt it. Everything he said in that presser sounds like we're keeping our pick; from the availability of trading it for a young QB d-man to the fact that we're hosting the draft

That's exactly it. He's probably drafting a D, but us securing the top pick would fairly likely lead to Murray trying to facilitate a trade for OEL if he's available or someone near his level.

I wonder if there's an import/exchange thing going on here. There are tons of places that serve better burgers than McD's, but (last I checked, a few years ago) nothing that'll touch the ~$1-2 for the basic and maybe $5 for the fancy stuff. You can get great burgers, but they're going to start around $6-8.

well for 5 - 6 euro i can get a medium pack of fries, its a lot really , and two pieces of meat in most places.

Ryan O'Reilly is a Newport client and Murray and Don Meehan are close.

Not sure but don't think O'Reilly is the only one, thought there were like 2- 3 on our team.

Meehan is Stamkos' agent right ?

Edit: its Kane and O'Reilly.

Edit2: Reinhart and Pysyk as well.

Edited by Huckleberry

Agreed. And it also says to me that, because he's thinking about that high end D type player, that if we were to luck into 1st overall, he would explore the potential for an OEL type trade for the pick, should a deal like that be in any way available.

That's exactly it. He's probably drafting a D, but us securing the top pick would fairly likely lead to Murray trying to facilitate a trade for OEL if he's available or someone near his level.

Arizona's GM has already said OEL will not be on the trading block. Apparently they don't want Matthews enough. And why should they? OEL is young, has room for improvement and is already amongst the elite. Sure, Arizona's GM could have said OEL is not tradable to drive up the stock. Unless a lot is offered for the guy OEL should remain a Coyote. 

Arizona's GM has already said OEL will not be on the trading block. Apparently they don't want Matthews enough. And why should they? OEL is young, has room for improvement and is already amongst the elite. Sure, Arizona's GM could have said OEL is not tradable to drive up the stock. Unless a lot is offered for the guy OEL should remain a Coyote.

As of ~7PM last night, the Desert Dogs don't have a GM.

Further reflections on GM TM positively gushing over Bailey, Fasching, Rodrigues (especially E Rod): What are the chances that tune is consistent with, mostly motivated by GM TM's efforts to pump up values of his prospects in connection with trades this summer?

Do press conference statements have measurable effects on other general managers?

Do press conference statements have measurable effects on other general managers?

I have no idea. I doubt it. That was not my point or implication, though.

My suggestion was that that particular line of talk could be an indicator of the positions he's taking in private conversations. The Rodrigues thing specifically sounded a bit ... over the top.

I quite like the idea of GM TM bundling some of those surplus 2nds and 3rds and a promising prospect for someone who will help next season.

If I heard Tim correctly, whether Risto gets a bridge deal or a long-term contract will be a big clue about where the GM sees his team heading in the short term. He said if he thinks the team will be contending soon, a bridge deal could allow him the flexibility to add a major piece.

My suggestion was that that particular line of talk could be an indicator of the positions he's taking in private conversations. The Rodrigues thing specifically sounded a bit ... over the top.

I quite like the idea of GM TM bundling some of those surplus 2nds and 3rds and a promising prospect for someone who will help next season.

Me too. For some reason I don't think Mr. ZFG, non-jingle singer GMTM will allow himself to be so impressed by the second half that he thinks only a few tweaks are needed. There's no way we see the splashes we saw last year, but I think it's going to be more than a lot of fans seem to be expecting.

If I heard Tim correctly, whether Risto gets a bridge deal or a long-term contract will be a big clue about where the GM sees his team heading in the short term. He said if he thinks the team will be contending soon, a bridge deal could allow him the flexibility to add a major piece.

Me too. For some reason I don't think Mr. ZFG, non-jingle singer GMTM will allow himself to be so impressed by the second half that he thinks only a few tweaks are needed. There's no way we see the splashes we saw last year, but I think it's going to be more than a lot of fans seem to be expecting.

Good stuff.

That's also part of what's fascinating with GM TM: The level of candor with which he speaks about a lot of things might seem to exclude the possibility that he's not, on other levels, engaging in gamesmanship, managing information, hiding or obscuring true intentions, etc. But he almost certainly is, isn't he? #ThelayersofGMTM

To the bolded, I think some are reading too much into the draft choice comments. So he doesn't think he can trade 8 for an impact player. He doesn't say he can't trade it for a good player, or package it for an impact player. He also said he'd like to give the fans something to cheer about. I could see myself cheering a trade.

He very clearly said we will be players in free agency. He very clearly has one or more possible deals on the table for the draft. And he very clearly wants a puckhandling defencemen.

Agree with you 100 per cent.

To your first point, I read his comments as his direction would likely be dictated a lot by factors that are still fluid: Risto's demands, trade possibilities that may or may not come together, and UFA demands.

Further reflections on GM TM positively gushing over Bailey, Fasching, Rodrigues (especially E Rod): What are the chances that tune is consistent with, mostly motivated by GM TM's efforts to pump up values of his prospects in connection with trades this summer?

I can honestly believe that GMTM likes all three guys and feel they can contribute sooner than later. Rodrigues especially. The two games he was gone from the Amerks show how much offensive zone time he brought to he team. Kids pure honey badger all game. I'd like to see him on jacks line again some day.

Well I think Murray will definitely make a trade, I also think he can be patient to an extent. He might not be impressed by the 2nd half but it will be enough to show him he is heading in the correct direction and doesn't need to burn this thing to the ground or trade all the prospects for players.  We will probably get a top 4 LHD, another college UFA and something else (be that a forward/defender/prospect). 

Edited by LGR4GM

Did anyone ask if they would be able to talk to Terry personally? Maybe we can set something up now? Did they push further and say when was Terry available? He was available at a ribbon-cutting ceremony I heard, but was not answering hockey questions. Would we maybe be able to get Terry to speak soon? 

We've got a lot of guys who play a similar role and are a young age. It seems like at least one will be moved over the summer.

Between the three Colorado players available and GMTM saying he has GMs he works with, I'm anticipating a splash or two. I'm more optimistic about an ANA or Avalanche trade than I am a big free agent signing or winning the lottery.

I can honestly believe that GMTM likes all three guys and feel they can contribute sooner than later. Rodrigues especially. The two games he was gone from the Amerks show how much offensive zone time he brought to he team. Kids pure honey badger all game. I'd like to see him on jacks line again some day.

I do agree on Rodrigues - and thanks for the insight on what he was bringing to Roch. The move he made on his first NHL goal was an eye-opener for me. Nifty, agile, and smart. That said, I do not imagine that he projects to be Eichel's winger in the NHL.

Did anyone ask if they would be able to talk to Terry personally? Maybe we can set something up now? Did they push further and say when was Terry available? He was available at a ribbon-cutting ceremony I heard, but was not answering hockey questions. Would we maybe be able to get Terry to speak soon? 

:huh:

We've got a lot of guys who play a similar role and are a young age. 

'zactly.

Do you want to hear Pegula awkwardly stumble through random questions again? I don't.

What would you even ask him?

And now something that you all thought I would never post ...

@buffalosabres put out a tweet on my feed that Cody Mac is set to announce his retirement.

My apologies if it has been posted up thread, but seems that it was mentioned by GM TM in the presser. 

The blood clots are making him retire. I really hope he has a long and healthy life, the guy deserves it

Frankly I prefer to hear from TM. What would Terry offer that you really want to know that hasn't been covered by Murray?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.