TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

I think Murray plays coy with this in public. I'll never forget his "entrance interview" with Schopp & Bulldog, and Schopp asked about analytics. Murray's response? "Oh, you mean like Pension Plan Puppets and those guys?" Why in the world would he specifically name a Leafs-based analytics blog if he's not really into it?

Absolutely, he was on a radio interview with a Toronto radio station talking about the 2015 Draft. He was asked about Dylan Strome and he went onto talk about His WOWYs, for a few minutes.

Should I just say that this is a fantastic trade and that Murray is a genius? Would that make everybody happy?

No, we're all basically giving this trade a cursory nod because we didn't expect anything else. We're just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Anywho, can someone post a link to the Murray interview when it gets up please? 

Does losing your 5th leading goal scorer make the lineup any better? 

I think Fasching is a long ways off from making a 2nd line on this team. 

Maybe we can put Johnson on the 3rd line.  B-)

Does letting your 5th leading goal scorer walk for nothing after 19 more games of a lost season make the team better after those 19 games?

Sorry, but I find it hard to claim the lineup has been "depleted" when the 8th or 9th best forward & the #7 D-man are the entirety of what was traded away. They kept the backup goalie, the 2nd best pk'er, the top pairing's LD, the #2 pairing's RD, the 3rd D pair, & the 2nd line LW, an injured 2nd liner, & the entire 3rd line. All of which were believed to be in play on this board and which had 1/2 of that been moved for "the future" the team would've been "depleted."

And I'd thought you wanted the Sabres to retain Johnson. If not, :oops:

I'm sick of watching a depleted lineup to finish off another season. And now with the 2nd and 5th leading scorers on the team gone, it's going to be another miserable end to the season. 

It was going to be miserable with or without McGinn.  

I didn't expect him to re-sign before the deadline. It's not a good idea for the player and the GM. It's like making the first offers when bidding on an item. Nobody is going to agree on each offer. At some point you need to start looking forward, losing another top scorer is just going to help this team finish off a season on another downswing. In a tank year it might make sense. I'm sick of watching it. I don't want to watch this team win 6 times in the next 19 games. This is getting really old. 

The types of players that have a great all around game cost big money. You can't afford to have two complete lines of players that cost $6+mil/yr. At some point you need to find a combination of guys that can either score, or defend. 20 goal/82 game generally gets you a 2nd line position

Or come in the draft and usually near the top.

Edited by Crusader1969

Should I just say that this is a fantastic trade and that Murray is a genius? Would that make everybody happy?

I think engaging more and being less confrontational would be better. I gather you don't like the trade because for 19 games we will be more mediocre. Outside of that I don't really understand why you are so fired up.

I'd also say Mcginn being the 5th leading scorer doesn't make him the 5th best forward on the team.

Edited by LGR4GM

I'm sick of watching a depleted lineup to finish off another season. And now with the 2nd and 5th leading scorers on the team gone, it's going to be another miserable end to the season.

Find another team, my friend, because you need a lift obviously.

I think engaging more and being less confrontational would be better. I gather you don't like the trade because for 19 games we will be more mediocre. Outside of that I don't really understand why you are so fired up.

I'd also say Mcginn being the 5th leading scorer doesn't make him the 5th best forward on the team.

Nobody was being confrontational, but it seems like no matter what I say somebody is in line trying to change my mind instead of trying to accept that I just don't share the same viewpoint. Most are civil about it, I appreciate it and remain civil with them. 

I'm not fired up by the trade, I'm starting to get fed up with being a BFLO sports fan. My patience is wearing thin.

Nobody was being confrontational, but it seems like no matter what I say somebody is in line trying to change my mind instead of trying to accept that I just don't share the same viewpoint. Most are civil about it, I appreciate it and remain civil with them.

I'm not fired up by the trade, I'm starting to get fed up with being a BFLO sports fan. My patience is wearing thin.

But why do you dislike the trade?

Quiet deadline.

I really thought GMTM would have moved more players for picks and gone into full tank mode.

"McEichel" night comes tomorrow; that could be fun.

This isn't a tank

More draft picks - we need fire power for fall 2016 and a push to qualify for wildcard in 2017.   We have had plenty of draft picks built up over the last terrible 2 or 3 years.  We don't need more of something that will produce 2 or 3 years down the road - we need production in 7 months!

GMTM, where's the beef?  Hopefully gonna be some big acquisitions and big moves this summer that will be capable of pointing the puck in the net in October.  Anything else will be disappointing.  

But why do you dislike the trade?

This isn't a tank

No, your rite. It's been a mini-tank, a very clever technical tank that was telegraphed by Murray last offseason. It's been done more on the coaching side than anything else, IMNSHO. At least we better hope so. If this season has shown us DD trying to win, God help us.

Edited by PASabreFan

No, your rite. It's been a mini-tank, a very clever technical tank that was telegraphed by Murray last offseason. It's been done more on the coaching side than anything else, IMNSHO. At least we better hope so. If this season has shown us DD trying to win, God help us.

Tank = removing all veteran talent and expiring contracts from a team to stockpile prospects and picks while increasing the likelihood of a higher 1st round pick.

We didn't do that even in a mini way. We're young, and personally I think we're just about where I'd thought we would be.

McGinn's stats were decent due to him getting PP time, which he would get less of if Ennis were around. He may have been on there to inflate the stats for a better return. Foligno or Bailey would pot as many goals play in that role on the PP.

Bottom line, we got something for a guy that had one foot out the door. If GMTM wanted him, he would've kept him.

I love watching picks play hockey. Someday a player I like to watch might actually stay a Sabre.

'bout where I am at.  Would be nice to watch an actually hockey team for the last 20 games of a season for a change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.