TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

I'm not sure we can blame DD for missing his top center and having only 2 of his wingers playing

I don't blame DD for doing this to manage injury situations that crop up, but he's been doing it all year anyway. Just because Moulson has a couple decent shifts on the 4th line, doesn't mean he should be rewarded with top 6 opportunities. Conversely, Bailey struggles for a couple shifts and he's relegated to 4th line with inferior offensively gifted players and he suffers. Dan is married to his "pairs" system and really doesn't seem to care much who any particular third member of a line may be. I don't like it. 

GO SABRES!!!

He's gone, let's move on.

See what kind of numbers he puts up after someone gives him 4x 4.5M.

Probably not Moulson like, but a dip would be expected unless he plays top line minutes and PP on his '16-'17 team.

Ducks can play him with Getzlaf and Perry inflate his numbers and them trade him at the draft.

Maybe GMTM has a favour from Bob Murray to have the inside track on Fowler at the draft. The old future considerations trade.

What is your opinion of the trade?

I was never a McGinn fan, so the trade doesn't matter to me. However, I would be concerned it could affect the locker room. Not that I would have re-signed McGinn just because of that, but the team has some youngsters on it whose world-view is still being shaped.

It's not just you, but perhaps you have noticed that this is the way millennials handle differing opinions nationwide. It's an easy dynamic to grasp: if you present a certain percentage of the millennial population with a POV different than theirs, the only way they know how to handle it is if you had picked a fight with them. This phenom has been all over the news for the past year.

I have, it's becoming irritatingly commonplace.

Don't see these trades hurting us down the stretch.

Weber for Cola is pretty meh at number 7, and it increases the chances Pysyk and McCabe don't get benched.

Probably a good thing long-term giving Bailey or Fasching a look in McGinn's even strength role.

And there's a chance Ennis just slides into that slot.

On the PP, McGinn stealing Moulson's role down low has probably has played a role in 26's lack of production.

Wishful thinking I'm sure, but I hope he gets a shot there and helps him get some confidence/value back.

I'm not sure we can blame DD for missing his top center and having only 2 of his wingers playing

We can do whatever we want. This thread is IMAGINATION LAND! 

I'm imagining a world right now. Come with me! 

mAKGBxO.gif

I'm imagining right now, oh what a fantastic thing, a dream where Jamie McGinn's agent says "Sure Jamie, definitely take what Tim Murray is offering you. There's no way you could do better in free agency. Go on Jamie...take it..."

What a magical place! 

I was never a McGinn fan, so the trade doesn't matter to me. However, I would be concerned it could affect the locker room. Not that I would have re-signed McGinn just because of that, but the team has some youngsters on it whose world-view is still being shaped.

I would say that it taught them a very valuable lesson about holding on and letting go.

He's gone, let's move on.

See what kind of numbers he puts up after someone gives him 4x 4.5M.

Probably not Moulson like, but a dip would be expected unless he plays top line minutes and PP on his '16-'17 team.

Ducks can play him with Getzlaf and Perry inflate his numbers and them trade him at the draft.

Maybe GMTM has a favour from Bob Murray to have the inside track on Fowler at the draft. The old future considerations trade.

He'll be a UFA, why would anybody trade for him?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention Weber and McGinn were 4th and 5th on the team in hits/game.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Unfortunately, I think you're right. DD is too hell bent on rewarding good play with promotions to top lines.

GO SABRES!!!

I don't see that all. I see him keeping his pairs together at all times regardless of how they play and throwing a third guy there randomly.

He'll be a UFA, why would anybody trade for him?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention Weber and McGinn were 4th and 5th on the team in hits/game.

Teams often trade for UFAs to acquire their exclusive rights with the hope of reaching a deal before FAgency kicks in. 

Doubt McGinn generates enough interest though. 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't see that all. I see him keeping his pairs together at all times regardless of how they play and throwing a third guy there randomly.

Yeah, I alluded to this in another post as well. And he often changes lines due to PP and PK situations. But it sure seemed like he was quick to pull the trigger on Bailey after the Penguins game. 

GO SABRES!!!

PASabreFan, on 29 Feb 2016 - 8:48 PM, said:

I confess to laughing too loud for this.

I missed it. What is Sizzle's analysis?

He's talking about this: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23419-trade-ideas-and-speculation/page-73?do=findComment&comment=799417

In context, the idea of trading Samson came up.  I don't think the concept applies nearly as intensely to McGinn, but I still think it's worth something.  More than a "they get paid enough, they'll get over it" dismissal of the idea, at least.

Yeah, I alluded to this in another post as well. And he often changes lines due to PP and PK situations. But it sure seemed like he was quick to pull the trigger on Bailey after the Penguins game. 

GO SABRES!!!

Well, you know why, right?

He's talking about this: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23419-trade-ideas-and-speculation/page-73?do=findComment&comment=799417

In context, the idea of trading Samson came up.  I don't think the concept applies nearly as intensely to McGinn, but I still think it's worth something.  More than a "they get paid enough, they'll get over it" dismissal of the idea, at least.

Well, you know why, right?

Um, Jackie likes Matty better? 

GO SABRES!!!

The Sabres suck. JJ is right. Sure professors saw it coming. Us hopeful fans wished it away. GMTM said expect to win this year. Tired of it.

When did he say that? Was it part of a larger interview? I think it would be an interesting interview to revisit

The Sabres suck.  JJ is right.  Sure professors saw it coming.  Us hopeful fans wished it away.  GMTM said expect to win this year.  Tired of it.

Once you accept the fact that we just aren't that good yet, it's easier to reconcile. I wouldn't want GMTM thinking any other way at the start of the season. But I gotta be honest, when GMTM has the team he wants, McGinn is not a big contributor to that team, anyway. That will be born out when he signs with somebody else and underperforms the inflated deal he signs. 

GO SABRES!!!

When did he say that? Was it part of a larger interview? I think it would be an interesting interview to revisit

I don't know.  Maybe more of just "winning culture" required.  This is a suck culture.

Once you accept the fact that we just aren't that good yet, it's easier to reconcile. I wouldn't want GMTM thinking any other way at the start of the season. But I gotta be honest, when GMTM has the team he wants, McGinn is not a big contributor to that team, anyway. That will be born out when he signs with somebody else and underperforms the inflated deal he signs. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yeah I get it.  Just so tired of being on this end of it.  "When..."  When?  Really when?  Look at Edmonton. Way more examples of perpetual suck/lack of cup than tank---->cup.  You got Jeremy and wonder-boy on WGR selling you (us) tank all day long.  There's no guarantees.  It's just another year of suck. McGinn leaving is cherry on top.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.