TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

Better than having nothing in 4 years, if Jamie walks. Unless you think he was going to re-sign but now won't because we traded him?

Actually, I'm pretty sick and tired of watching the GM throwing in the towel every single year. Fans bitch that we don't have enough gritty, crash the net, 2nd/3rd line forwards who put in an effort every single night.......... so it makes sense to trade one away when we get one instead of keeping him and try to work on a new contract. 

I thought it would be a good idea to try to finish off the season looking strong so that the players have something to look forward to in the offseason. With O'Reilly out. that's unlikely to happen when you get rid of somebody who was playing a moderate role in the scoring department. 

Actually, I'm pretty sick and tired of watching the GM throwing in the towel every single year. Fans bitch that we don't have enough gritty, crash the net, 2nd/3rd line forwards who put in an effort every single night.......... so it makes sense to trade one away when we get one instead of keeping him and try to work on a new contract. 

I thought it would be a good idea to try to finish off the season looking strong so that the players have something to look forward to in the offseason. With O'Reilly out. that's unlikely to happen when you get rid of somebody who was playing a moderate role in the scoring department. 

He didn't throw in the towel man, we were KO'd in the second round. Jaime McGinn is a nice player. A nice player of which there are about 100 of in the NHL at any given time.

Well, you're not going to find agreement here that that is what McGinn is, I guess. I was definitely on TrueBlue's side of the McGinn debate.

And I really don't think the trade affects the chances of him signing here again. Either he was going to explore options in FA or he wasn't, right?

Sorry you're bummed, though. I definitely can't wait to be buyers at a deadline again as well.

He didn't throw in the towel man, we were KO'd in the second round. Jaime McGinn is a nice player. A nice player of which there are about 100 of in the NHL at any given time.

He's traded something that works, for something that might not work. Traded a definite for an unknown. A 3rd round pick isn't an asset because it's not going to be the deciding factor in some blockbuster deal he plans to make in the offseason. 

This team is borderline painful to watch, now it's worse. 

Murray says wasn't close to re-signing McGinn

Would be interested having him back

He's traded something that works, for something that might not work. Traded a definite for an unknown. A 3rd round pick isn't an asset because it's not going to be the deciding factor in some blockbuster deal he plans to make in the offseason. 

JJ, what are your limits on the contract you would have offered McGinn, and do you think Murray stopped way short of that, and that McGinn would have accepted your offer?

Keeping McGinn was an unknown. You have no idea whether he's re-signing or not.

But he could still end up a Sabre next year AND we have another pick.

How the hell do you know that? They have five or six 3rds over the next two drafts depending on what happens with McGinn's conditions; those could CERTAINLY go for a player like Drouin or Yakupov or be paired with a player for a Taylor Hall. Picks are pure assets, especially in this league where player for player trades are happening less and noone wants to give up firsts.

If I'm actually a good team two years from now McGinn isn't in my top-six, and I could give a what happens in the last two months of this season outside of an injury. 

Is Lee stempniak really better than McGinn?

Also, price makes me think we won't need 4/4 million to re-sign him

Absolutely. And he's a lot cheaper to boot--contract is less than 1/3 of McGinn's.

Career PPG and relative CF:

Stempniak: .53 and .6

McGinn: .36 and -4

Murray says wasn't close to re-signing McGinn

Would be interested having him back

Murray gets it, I think. I'd be surprised if McGinn were in a Sabres uniform come fall unless his asking price drops through the floor.

I disagree in your assessment of a 3rd round pick not being an asset. 3Rd round picks are the new 2nd rounders if you look at the last couple deadlines. No one really trades 1st rounders the way they use to. Also you assume we would have signed Mcginn instead of letting him walk for nothing. I don't murray was ever going to give him the years and dollars he will get.

I don't know what I would have offered him. But I do know that he can't make any offers now. 

I just got a vibe that it wasn't okay that he got something for an expiring contract. Since it appears that he did have talks regarding an extension but couldn't get close, and that it isn't wise to overpay somebody, is it just that you don't trust Murray's judgment of what is an appropriate contract for McGinn? Because that's the only reason I can find to spin getting anything for him after attempting to negotiate into a bad outcome. 

Keeping McGinn was an unknown. You have no idea whether he's re-signing or not.

But he could still end up a Sabre next year AND we have another pick.

I'm sick of watching a depleted lineup to finish off another season. And now with the 2nd and 5th leading scorers on the team gone, it's going to be another miserable end to the season. 

I just got a vibe that it wasn't okay that he got something for an expiring contract. Since it appears that he did have talks regarding an extension but couldn't get close, and that it isn't wise to overpay somebody, is it just that you don't trust Murray's judgment of what is an appropriate contract for McGinn? Because that's the only reason I can find to spin getting anything for him after attempting to negotiate into a bad outcome. 

I doubt talks were serious at this point. 

I'm sick of watching a depleted lineup to finish off another season. And now with the 2nd and 5th leading scorers on the team gone, it's going to be another miserable end to the season. 

It would have been miserable either way. A few garbage goals from McGinn and power play assists from ROR won't save this season.

Edited by mustacheofgod

I'm with you here, the only difference is that I don't think McGinn would change this, he certainly hasn't made the games since ROR got hurt any more bearable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.