TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

I guess Murray is happy he got something for McGinn. Murray got nothing for Chad Johnson, David Legwand and Carlo Colaiacovo. This was a disappointing result today. 

It's all a matter of perspective.  I found it disappointing too.  I'm sure we won't agree on why it was disappointing though.  I'm not looking forward to watching an AHL'er in the lineup for the rest of the season so we can draft another guy with a 15% chance of making the NHL in 4-5 years.

Mostly Bylsma for me, unless Murray makes poor moves trying to get better.

This got me thinking, what percentage of Murray's moves have actually been to make the team better? Not long term, obviously, but how many moves can you say," the team on the ice now is better than it was before."

I bet it's about 50%, maybe less, at this stage in the rebuild.

Edited by SwampD

This got me thinking, what percentage of Murray's moves have actually been to make the team better? Not long term, obviously, but how many moves can you say," the team on the ice now is better than it was before."

I bet it's about 50%, maybe less, at this stage in the rebuild.

Well, how many trades were intended to make the team better on the ice? If we're going straight off the transactions for immediate impact, I'd say Gorges > 2nd round pick, ROR > Grigs/Zads/futures, Lehner & Legwand > 1st round pick. Even if you think the Kane deal was a wash, that's still 3/4.

Edit: oh and Moulson. Good lord Moulson...so 3/5?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Well, how many trades were intended to make the team better on the ice? If we're going straight off the transactions for immediate impact, I'd say Gorges > 2nd round pick, ROR > Grigs/Zads/futures, Lehner & Legwand > 1st round pick. Even if you think the Kane deal was a wash, that's still 3/4.

I said not long term. Trading Stafford for a guy who couldn't play (Kane) did not make us better at the time of the trade, by design. McGinn for a pick does not make us better.

I said not long term. Trading Stafford for a guy who couldn't play (Kane) did not make us better at the time of the trade, by design. McGinn for a pick does not make us better.

I guess I didn't consider the season after the tank long term. So you really mean instant improvement. I just think you gave to evaluate moves in context of what their intent was to try to judge Murray. If all we're interested in is things to make the team better, it's really just this offseason we have to work with.

I guess I didn't consider the season after the tank long term. So you really mean instant improvement. I just think you gave to evaluate moves in context of what their intent was to try to judge Murray. If all we're interested in is things to make the team better, it's really just this offseason we have to work with.

Like I said, I get there is a long term goal, but eventually he is going to have to make a move that make us better right away. I think I'm just said that that time isn't today.

Oh, yeah, he traded Miller,... and Molson (when he was still good).

I'm really amazed at this thread, had no idea people were so attached to the concept of McGinn. I never really got attached to him since it was obvious he wasn't going to be a Sabre for more than a season.

The trade deadline is for teams looking to bulk up for the playoffs or teams to cut their losses and deal their best assets for a good return. This year's deadline did not apply to the Sabres. Murray will make this team better byet making deals near the draft and in free agency, by then nobody will much care about Mcginn.

I'm really amazed at this thread, had no idea people were so attached to the concept of McGinn. I never really got attached to him since it was obvious he wasn't going to be a Sabre for more than a season.

The trade deadline is for teams looking to bulk up for the playoffs or teams to cut their losses and deal their best assets for a good return. This year's deadline did not apply to the Sabres. Murray will make this team better byet making deals near the draft and in free agency, by then nobody will much care about Mcginn.

Hurray for the future!!!

I'm starting to think that GMTM is even better at playing the "promise of the future" game than even Darcy was. If he ever says "we just have to wait for our core to mature..." well, that's when I'll know all hope is lost.

Just ftr, I agree with this move. Still sucks, though.

Hurray for the future!!!

I'm starting to think that GMTM is even better at playing the "promise of the future" game than even Darcy was. If he ever says "we just have to wait for our core to mature..." well, that's when I'll know all hope is lost.

I think some people are unfairly projecting deep rooted Darcy frustration onto GMTM.

One year, hopefully soon, we'll be buyers at the deadline. Then we can trade for a McGinn type dime a dozen depth player and watch as people get pissed that GMTM didn't do enough. It'll be fun.

Remember when we traded for Brad Boyes? Dang. Those were the days.

I think some people are unfairly projecting deep rooted Darcy frustration onto GMTM.

I agree. This team is in phenomenal shape going forward.

21 draft picks in the next two seasons. Ryan O'Reilly, Jack Eichel, Evander Kane, Rasmus Ristolainen and Sam Reinhart solidified as legitimate top-end pieces (whether it's for a good team or not is, admittedly, to be seen).

Lehner, Ennis, Girgensons, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Pysyk, McCabe and Bogosian all with potential to have good roles that should be determined within the next two or three years (many sooner).

The calls for GMTM's head if the team isn't a playoff team next year is a tad confusing. He has pulled off some great moves. The argument for grabbing the pitchforks so soon after having two of the worst teams in NHL history is because we acquired so much talent so quickly that you can't compare this team to the teams of the last two seasons. That's a CREDIT to GMTM. If the team underachieves it's likely due to growing pains and, possibly, bad coaching. GMTM gets a full two seasons after this season from me. If there's marked improvement in that span then he gets until this team hits a wall or suddenly slumps badly.

This offseason will be a great chance to see GMTM flex some muscle. There will be plenty of free agent opportunities to sway wanted players (Stamkos, Okposo, Yandle for starters). And he's got just as much ammo as anybody else in a similar position throughout the league.

Edited by Hoss

Hurray for the future!!!

This has been the plan laid out by Murray since the day he came on board. Anyone who thought we'd be out of the dumpster this year is delusional. My faith in Murray gets a free pass until the end of next season. Murray has addressed the problems at center and in goal and you better believe he'll be bringing in some serious upgrades to our defense this summer along with finding another winger to replace Mcginn.

I can only have hope for the future because the only other alternative involves more booze than I can afford.

Like I said, I get there is a long term goal, but eventually he is going to have to make a move that make us better right away. I think I'm just said that that time isn't today.

Oh, yeah, he traded Miller,... and Molson (when he was still good).

But the trade deadline is the time for teams making a playoff push to add current short term assets & non-playoff teams to sell ST assets. The time for teams like the Sabres to add current assets via trade is the draft. And last year, the Sabres picked up Eichel, O'Reilly, Lehner, McGinn, & Legwand within about 48 hours. That was a good weekend. It's kind of cool that the Sabres only dumped 2 guys that brought back 2 useful picks. That they weren't giving away Johnson for a 5th or Legwand for a 5th/6th is a good thing IMHO. They weren't the Loafs selling anything that wasn't tied down (or at least trying to, there was some junk they couldn't give away). I expect at least 1 of Legwand or Johnson to be back next year & if his market value is less than expected so will be McGinn.

I was hoping we'd see a hockey trade or 2 in the Fall while teams were still honing their squads, but it wasn't meant to be. I expect to see the Sabres trade for Drouin @ the draft, grab Chychrun w/ the 7-8 pick, & make at least 1 more hockey trade probably for another D-man. Add a UFA winger & Fasching to the guys that are here and they should be in the playoff mix next year & will FINALLY be buying in late February.

'17-'18 should be really fun. Next year should be entertaining as well.

I just don't get all the hype over all the draft picks upcoming. So we've got 11 picks in the top 3 rounds over the next two years. 6 of those are in the 3rd round, so we've got 1 extra pick in the top two rounds. Are the chances even 1 in 6 that one of those six  3rd round picks plays more than 100 games in the NHL? All these extra picks won't do us any good, but it sure makes Rochester happy. I doubt it makes a difference in a blockbuster trade. "So Pete, you don't like that proposal I gave you for Hall? What if I threw in a 3rd rounder?"

I just don't get all the hype over all the draft picks upcoming. So we've got 11 picks in the top 3 rounds over the next two years. 6 of those are in the 3rd round, so we've got 1 extra pick in the top two rounds. Are the chances even 1 in 6 that one of those six  3rd round picks plays more than 100 games in the NHL? All these extra picks won't do us any good, but it sure makes Rochester happy. I doubt it makes a difference in a blockbuster trade. "So Pete, you don't like that proposal I gave you for Hall? What if I threw in a 3rd rounder?"

Could see a couple of those 3rd going out along w/ Ennis (if he plays before this season ends) & 1 other piece for Fowler. Could also see some picks going out for a 2nd in a future draft if somebody that a team really likes slips a bit & a 2nd is excellent currency at the trade deadline.

And w/ that many picks, TM can definitely do more swinging for the fences. And he pretty much says every chance he gets that he likes having extra darts to throw & knows that many picks won't even see ELC's. Sounds like he'd like to add 4-5 ELC's per draft year. W/ 10-11 cracks at it, that should be very doable.

Like Taro mentions, I'm excited because with 6 extra picks over the next two years, or whatever it is, I see 3-4 hockey deals that have them added as sweeteners. Obviously they won't be main pieces, but with Tim that's what I think those picks mean. I think we're going to have another fun draft week this year, in that sense.

Could see a couple of those 3rd going out along w/ Ennis (if he plays before this season ends) & 1 other piece for Fowler. Could also see some picks going out for a 2nd in a future draft if somebody that a team really likes slips a bit & a 2nd is excellent currency at the trade deadline.

And w/ that many picks, TM can definitely do more swinging for the fences. And he pretty much says every chance he gets that he likes having extra darts to throw & knows that many picks won't even see ELC's. Sounds like he'd like to add 4-5 ELC's per draft year. W/ 10-11 cracks at it, that should be very doable.

Like Taro mentions, I'm excited because with 6 extra picks over the next two years, or whatever it is, I see 3-4 hockey deals that have them added as sweeteners. Obviously they won't be main pieces, but with Tim that's what I think those picks mean. I think we're going to have another fun draft week this year, in that sense.

Fair enough, maybe some day I'll share the same optimism. 

Like I said, I'm not a McGinn fan, so this trade was a no-brainer for today. Actually I'm more inclined to be upset over Websies being cast out. The only thing I got is the negative effect on locker room culture, but, I do, ultimately, have to concede that it is the business and the youth will have to get used to it. Just don't get rid of Samson.

I can empathize with the side that's down on the team, though, now that the trade deadline has come and gone. The Sabres have been selling the future for almost ten years, now. It's disgusting and frustrating.

Sure we have some potential stars, now. But, what have they put up this season? Not enough to get me all tingly down my leg. Bylsma is certainly not a coach you can fall in love with. Indeed, he's as frustrating as the team's play (but, let's ignore the obvious correlation).

Ennis and Girgensons are not worth getting excited over. I've never been an Ennis fan, anyway, and his injury has hurt this team on several levels. Girgensons has been a colossal disappointment this season, and his lack of production makes me question both he and Bylsma.

Speaking of Bylsma, have I mentioned him yet? Last season it was effort and compete, this season it's been dump and chase. Woohoo. Par-tay time on the ice. This system with some of our anti-possession players has been brutal.

Maybe I can get excited about another season with Gionta giving away the puck, and, if healthy, Ennis joining him.

There are players that I like, of course, and I do agree the draft and the UFA market are something to look forward to, but...but... but...

I expected more flash and bang from this season. I wanted to be led to the end of it thinking we might sneak into a wildcard slot. But, here we are, March 1 and we already know the season is over. That sucks.

I'm not looking for jack squat. This trade has spawned a certain discussion with varying points of view. I am making my contribution, sharing my thoughts, such as they are.

Hope is for the weak. We have the here and now, we exist only in the present and the present is as the present is, which is, for Sabres fans, sucky sucky.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

I'm not looking for jack squat. This trade has spawned a certain discussion with varying points of view. I am making my contribution, sharing my thoughts, such as they are.

Hope is for the weak. We have the here and now, we exist only in the present and the present is as the present is, which is, for Sabres fans, sucky sucky.

Well I disagree entirely with that, especially in this league.

Come on.  How about some empathy for your fellow fans.  We traded away a solid player who was part of an exciting trade representative of the new regime and well liked by teammates and fans.  Yeah he's replaceable, but it still sucks.  Our beloved hockey team sucks, again.  Fifth year in a row, crappy team.  We know, many saw it coming.....still....no fun.

still

I don't get the lament that a competent NHLer was traded for a guy unlikely to make the NHL.

Murray is stockpiling assets again so that he can acquire NHL talent.

I'll chuckle if anyone on Team McGinn Lamentation laments this summer that GM TM gave away too much for an NHLer of his choice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.