Robin Lehner injury "not short-term"

Hoss

It's just a matter of time before Hiller enters into the conversation. I hate the Internet.

I believe he entered the conversation on Thursday.  Maybe it was yesterday, though.

Keep hating the Internet.

I hate radio right now.  Used to be, a man could listen to a baseball game in October....

This year is no different than the pre-tank years. There is no need to hope for a 7/8 seed playoff spot. This team is not going anywhere this year. I don't think the plan expects it to. So as much as

I hate to say it - we will be talking draft picks a lot sooner than later.

We are in year 3 of a 5 year rebuild.

Could not be more wrong. This team is starting the process of becoming a Cup contender and that starts with making the playoffs. It is completely different when a young team at the beginning of the process makes it as a 7th or 8th seed as opposed to an old and tired team with its window rapidly closing.

Missing the playoffs in a year that they are not expected to make them is no major setback but making the playoffs could jump start the process.

Haven't we explicitly discussed the time table for this before? IIRC we looked at Chicago and Pitt and saw that they each had very similar time tables. As soon as you get your pieces, you barely miss the playoffs. The year after, you out in a nice run to the 2nd round or CFs, then, Stanely Cup contender

I believe he entered the conversation on Thursday.  Maybe it was yesterday, though.

Keep hating the Internet.

I hate radio right now.  Used to be, a man could listen to a baseball game in October....

Holy crap! You are so right.  I wanted to listen to the games while at work on local radio Friday.  Do you think any one of the billion stations in Columbus, Ohio was playing them?  Oh, and as a side note, even finding a programming schedule is difficult for most stations. 

Could not be more wrong. This team is starting the process of becoming a Cup contender and that starts with making the playoffs. It is completely different when a young team at the beginning of the process makes it as a 7th or 8th seed as opposed to an old and tired team with its window rapidly closing.

Missing the playoffs in a year that they are not expected to make them is no major setback but making the playoffs could jump start the process.

you don't get it, making the playoffs when your not the favorite to win a cup is a bad thing for the team and it's development. You have to only do what the Blackhawks and Pens did exactly or else you will never have a cup contending team.

TANK on!

Bring on Hiller.

yeah, but not at more than 4th rounder, we are not competing.

Elliott Friedman just said on HNIC that Robin Lehner has a high ankle sprain and will be out months. He also said, it is expected the Sabres will go with Chad Johnson and also will give Linus Ullmark a chance, who got cleared today and is starting in Rochester tonight.

I'm willing to give Linus a shot, but we need to ease him in.  A two week conditioning in Rochester wouldn't be to bad.

Thank you

you don't get it, making the playoffs when your not the favorite to win a cup is a bad thing for the team and it's development. You have to only do what the Blackhawks and Pens did exactly or else you will never have a cup contending team.

TANK on!

Your ability to consistently contribute nothing other than biting sarcasm is impressive. Useless, but impressive.

Another top 5 pick (or #1 pick possibly) will help this team far more than a first round loss. Mute point anyhow. This is one of the worst, if not the worst, defeneses and goaltending teams in Sabre history. Too make matters worse we have virtually nothing in the pipeline. Call me Debbie Downer all you want. We have virtually depleted all our prospects and picks. Where is this goaltending and defense coming from?

While i am at it please answer me this question. We tank for Reinhart and Eichel. We accomplish that. Then we go and trade damn good prospects for ROR. What the hell was the point of getting Reinhart? Your ok tanking for a freaking 3C? Because with Eichel and ROR for the next 7 years we pretty much have the center position covered.

So now lets take our tank reward and move him to wing. The guy is a freaking center. You want a damn winger then draft Bennett. As far as I am concerned Murray is an idiot. This team should have been built around Eichel and Reinhart as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years. As far as I am concerned Murray has no plan. Trading Zadarov is one thing. Trading a #1 for a goalie is another. Keep the pick - draft the best dman on the board to replace Zadarov and sign a FA goalie. Doesn't seem too difficult.

So you all go and bash me. It doesn't matter. Deep down a lot of you have the same concerns. You just won't admit it.

Grigo & Zads are "damn good prospects?" Seriously?

Our tank reward ain't moving anywhere except from 2C to 1C 6 months to 2 years from now. Reinhart is a side bonus of the tank. Eichel's the ####ing tank reward. Do you truly believe Reinhart was the tank reward?

And there isn't a single RW prospect in the pipeline. / sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Haven't we explicitly discussed the time table for this before? IIRC we looked at Chicago and Pitt and saw that they each had very similar time tables. As soon as you get your pieces, you barely miss the playoffs. The year after, you out in a nice run to the 2nd round or CFs, then, Stanely Cup contender

Good point in regard to there being a timetable, in that everything doesn't just turn around immediately, but Pittsburgh actually finished last place in the East and second last overall the year after they drafted Sid. It takes time!

TANK on!

Sarcasm noted, but again on the Pens, they themselves had a first round exit the first year they made the playoffs with Sid.

Moving on...

Taro, I am very happy to see you quoted that post there, as I was going to respond to it and it disappeared before I could quote it. I still want to respond to that thing:

Another top 5 pick (or #1 pick possibly) will help this team far more than a first round loss. Mute point anyhow. This is one of the worst, if not the worst, defeneses and goaltending teams in Sabre history. Too make matters worse we have virtually nothing in the pipeline. Call me Debbie Downer all you want. We have virtually depleted all our prospects and picks. Where is this goaltending and defense coming from?

While i am at it please answer me this question. We tank for Reinhart and Eichel. We accomplish that. Then we go and trade damn good prospects for ROR. What the hell was the point of getting Reinhart? Your ok tanking for a freaking 3C? Because with Eichel and ROR for the next 7 years we pretty much have the center position covered.

So now lets take our tank reward and move him to wing. The guy is a freaking center. You want a damn winger then draft Bennett. As far as I am concerned Murray is an idiot. This team should have been built around Eichel and Reinhart as your top 2 centers for the next 10 years. As far as I am concerned Murray has no plan. Trading Zadarov is one thing. Trading a #1 for a goalie is another. Keep the pick - draft the best dman on the board to replace Zadarov and sign a FA goalie. Doesn't seem too difficult.

So you all go and bash me. It doesn't matter. Deep down a lot of you have the same concerns. You just won't admit it.

I am not going to bash you, first off. I just want to respond to the bold points, which, sorry, I find to be ridiculous.

The first bit, would only be true in a vacuum. If we lose in the first round this year, we would be MUCH better off than being near the bottom and getting a top pick, because it would mean we took some massive strides forward this year.

Virtually nothing in the pipeline? One - our best prospects are ON THE TEAM. Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson, Ristolainen. These are cornerstones of the future. These guys WERE our pipeline, and have now graduated to the big club. They are extremely young, they are our future. The pipeline can be replaced over the next decade as these studs grow and mature into their roles. Beyond that, we do have some good prospects in the pipeline anways. Baptiste, Bailey, McCabe, Guhle, Possler. All guys that have a shot at the NHL.

And finally, Reinhart IS the future #2 center. In case you hadn't noticed, O'Reilly can and has played left wing. His best statistical season was at left wing. I foresee him moving to the left within the next couple years, when Eichel moves up to #1 and Sam is ready for #2. So ya, Sam can and will play center. But he can also play wing. He's done that in junior, too.

And Bennett is a center. Taro addressed the rest.

Good point in regard to there being a timetable, in that everything doesn't just turn around immediately, but Pittsburgh actually finished last place in the East and second last overall the year after they drafted Sid. It takes time!

Sarcasm noted, but again on the Pens, they themselves had a first round exit the first year they made the playoffs with Sid.

Moving on...

Taro, I am very happy to see you quoted that post there, as I was going to respond to it and it disappeared before I could quote it. I still want to respond to that thing:

I am not going to bash you, first off. I just want to respond to the bold points, which, sorry, I find to be ridiculous.

The first bit, would only be true in a vacuum. If we lose in the first round this year, we would be MUCH better off than being near the bottom and getting a top pick, because it would mean we took some massive strides forward this year.

Virtually nothing in the pipeline? One - our best prospects are ON THE TEAM. Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson, Ristolainen. These are cornerstones of the future. These guys WERE our pipeline, and have now graduated to the big club. They are extremely young, they are our future. The pipeline can be replaced over the next decade as these studs grow and mature into their roles. Beyond that, we do have some good prospects in the pipeline anways. Baptiste, Bailey, McCabe, Guhle, Possler. All guys that have a shot at the NHL.

And finally, Reinhart IS the future #2 center. In case you hadn't noticed, O'Reilly can and has played left wing. His best statistical season was at left wing. I foresee him moving to the left within the next couple years, when Eichel moves up to #1 and Sam is ready for #2. So ya, Sam can and will play center. But he can also play wing. He's done that in junior, too.

And Bennett is a center. Taro addressed the rest.

The pipeline I was talking about was defense and goaltending. Sure we have forward prospects but Murray has grossly neglected the defense.

I deleted the post after I wrote it because i knew the response I would get. Sorry guys but if you all want to sit here and plan your Cup party because Jack Eichel is know a Sabre then you might be waiting a LONG time.

I feel this rebuild was grossly handled. Going back to when management decided to blow this thing up to today I don't think we remotely maximized what our return could have been.

Too be this far into the process and have this as your defense and goaltending should scare the hell out of you.

Many of you still all have the Eichel giggles. This team has gapping holes. Holes that i am not sure how Murray plans to fill them. We have bashed Edmonton for years how they had all the forwards in the world but no defense and GT'ing. You think help is coming from that never ending list of prospects that we seem to constantly be waiting on?

Our "rebuild plan" is much more similar to Edmonton's than it is Pitt or Chicago. Hope in another couple years many of you prove me wrong. Most likely you will be giving me another prospect list.

Edited by sicknfla

yeah, but not at more than 4th rounder, we are not competing.

I'm fine with that.  This team is not competing; you're right.  At the same time, I don't want the young'uns to enter an Oiler-like spiral of despair.  So I want them to be in games and winning some games.

I'm fine with that.  This team is not competing; you're right.  At the same time, I don't want the young'uns to enter an Oiler-like spiral of despair.  So I want them to be in games and winning some games.

Thing is calgary is carrying 3 goalies at the moment, at some point they have to waive one of them.

I'm fine with that. This team is not competing; you're right. At the same time, I don't want the young'uns to enter an Oiler-like spiral of despair. So I want them to be in games and winning some games.

This. The team had some great energy in game two but if the losing continues at a fast pace this team will be playing dead and developing bad habits now that they have talent.

The pipeline I was talking about was defense and goaltending.

Murray drafted Guhle and signed Fransen. The goalie pipeline is fine with Ullmark, Makarov, Peterson and Kasdorf all a year or two away. The Rochester kids may be ready now. I'm not worried about goaltending. Defense needs work but it's not like murray did nothjng.

Murray drafted Guhle and signed Fransen. The goalie pipeline is fine with Ullmark, Makarov, Peterson and Kasdorf all a year or two away. The Rochester kids may be ready now. I'm not worried about goaltending. Defense needs work but it's not like murray did nothjng.

In 10 games Fransen will have as much love as the Mez. There is a reason he didn't sign with anyone until almost camp.

Guys I honestly don't want to be Debbie Downer but Murray has got to be able to have more to show on his defense than this after all the tools that were in his shed when he took over.

Edited by sicknfla

Well, Debbie, let me be the first to welcome you to the board.

Your avatar looks very familiar, did you steal from a dude who is in Florida and is quite ill?

:P

Lol. I know i am being a jerk. Sorry. It is only two games but, unlike the forwards, the D gives me no hope to get much better.

Lol. I know i am being a jerk. Sorry. It is only two games but, unlike the forwards, the D gives me no hope to get much better.

No worries and you are not being a jerk.

It is only 2 games.  We shall see and have a better idea of where the Sabres stand when we reach your Thanksgiving and not mine.

It would be something if Ullmark emerges, but I wouldn't count on it, and I'd hate to rush him.

Chad Johnson seems like a good soldier, but he is a back-up talent, and that will show more and more as the games progress.

Hiller for a 3-5 seems prudent to me.

It would be something if Ullmark emerges, but I wouldn't count on it, and I'd hate to rush him.

Chad Johnson seems like a good soldier, but he is a back-up talent, and that will show more and more as the games progress.

Hiller for a 3-5 seems prudent to me.

I wouldn't count on anything either but Ullmark has the potential to be the best goalie in our system.

We do have holes in the system.  Defense is one of them.  We could have used that 21st pick on a very talented defender.  It is one of the reasons I have been pushing for that trade with Florida or any other team who has a good young defender in their system.

I wouldn't count on anything either but Ullmark has the potential to be the best goalie in our system.

We do have holes in the system.  Defense is one of them.  We could have used that 21st pick on a very talented defender.  It is one of the reasons I have been pushing for that trade with Florida or any other team who has a good young defender in their system.

Totally agree with you, there is depth on defense and skilled wingers.  I would count Bailey, Possler, Baptiste as at best 3rd line type talents.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.