Robin Lehner injury "not short-term"

Hoss

I suspect that the gang mentality will be that there shouldn't be any criticism of the team or Murray this year. After all, they were in 30th place the last two seasons. Even if the captain, citing how much he hated the last two seasons, has already seen enough to call a players only meeting, in an apparent attempt to stop the losing before it really starts.

Well he's the captain. If he can't play, he's gotta do something. Seriously, I'm kind of to the point that I just want to watch hockey.  The train wreck that the Sabres used to be has been cleared off the tracks.  I'm willing to just sit back and watch a few games....kind of like I used to, before the tank, and just kinda root for wins.  Any off-ice drama I'm not too worried about.  We just tanked for two years; I don't think it can get any worse than that.  Just try to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Well he's the captain. If he can't play, he's gotta do something. Seriously, I'm kind of to the point that I just want to watch hockey.  The train wreck that the Sabres used to be has been cleared off the tracks.  I'm willing to just sit back and watch a few games....kind of like I used to, before the tank, and just kinda root for wins.  Any off-ice drama I'm not too worried about.  We just tanked for two years; I don't think it can get any worse than that.  Just try to sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is where I am too.

I just like the fact we are worth watching, with some talented players, very few passengers and a coach who preaches an interesting style.

I like our group and watching has been fun even when we lose. Hope and optimism are what makes this fun.

We have a real, entertaining hockey team again, and I find myself with a lot of patience for that.

I will third Robin's and Dud's POV on this season. I can't muster up any sincere criticism of this group, save for Lehner, which is not really on him, but on Murray.

I'm not buying into the "our D is weak" narrative that pervades this forum as well. I want to see what it is we really have here, and it will take time to reveal exactly what it is.

I will third Robin's and Dud's POV on this season. I can't muster up any sincere criticism of this group, save for Lehner, which is not really on him, but on Murray.

I'm not buying into the "our D is weak" narrative that pervades this forum as well. I want to see what it is we really have here, and it will take time to reveal exactly what it is.

With the injury to Bogosian, "our D is weak" was no narrative.  It's a little better now that McCabe seems to be contributing, but Colo, Weber, and Franson were all getting regular time at once.  We'll have a decent group once Bogo is back and we don't have to lean so hard on Gorges, who is doing well so far with the tough assignments.

Edited by qwksndmonster

They didn't have Bogo all pre-season. And these first three games, I'm not seeing the D as particularly weak, but discombobulated like the rest of the team for the first two games plus one period.

The D should be allowed time to gel just like the offense is being given time to gel. You have (in no particular order) Pysyk, Risto, Gorges, Weber, Bogo, McCabe as the top 6, say. Half of that line-up are youngsters. They need time. But I think that line-up can take the team pretty far as is.

They didn't have Bogo all pre-season. And these first three games, I'm not seeing the D as particularly weak, but discombobulated like the rest of the team for the first two games plus one period.

The D should be allowed time to gel just like the offense is being given time to gel. You have (in no particular order) Pysyk, Risto, Gorges, Weber, Bogo, McCabe as the top 6, say. Half of that line-up are youngsters. They need time. But I think that line-up can take the team pretty far as is.

I don't, too thin.  1 injury and we're blech.  2 injuries and we're done for.

It's almost like we need to wait out October and possibly November so the team can gel and figure things out.

@NicholsOnHockey: LeBrun, asked for early tease of Insider Trading: I spoke w/ Tim Murray about goaltending situation, and will share answer tonight. #Sabres

That guy's a real dick if that report turns out to be something generic like "We're looking at all options" -Murray

@NicholsOnHockey: LeBrun, asked for early tease of Insider Trading: I spoke w/ Tim Murray about goaltending situation, and will share answer tonight. #Sabres

The answer from GMTM will be:  "We are talking to other teams, but we also have several goalies in our system.  We're always looking for a good deal, but it's got to be the right deal for our club.  We're not going to mortgage the future to resolve a temporary setback."

Can't say as I'm surprised, and actually quite glad we will see  our 2 AHLer's getting some time with the big club. It seems to fit into what this season is all about, jelling as a team and finding out what we got.

The train wreck that the Sabres used to be has been cleared off the tracks.  I'm willing to just sit back and watch a few games....kind of like I used to, before the tank, and just kinda root for wins.  Any off-ice drama I'm not too worried about.  We just tanked for two years; I don't think it can get any worse than that.  Just try to sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is exactly where I'm at too. I think I was caught up with so much of the drama for the past few years, because I had to pay attention to something and what was on the ice was heartbreaking. I couldn't stand to watch something I love go through that kind of pain.

It's amazing right now. Forget the playoffs, forget the cup. Yesterday I smiled ear to ear and loved watching a hockey game. It feels like coming home after a very long trip.

This is exactly where I'm at too. I think I was caught up with so much of the drama for the past few years, because I had to pay attention to something and what was on the ice was heartbreaking. I couldn't stand to watch something I love go through that kind of pain.

It's amazing right now. Forget the playoffs, forget the cup. Yesterday I smiled ear to ear and loved watching a hockey game. It feels like coming home down after a very long trip.

FTFY

(I feel the same way, stuck and Robin)

Friedman (30 Thoughts) on Lehner: Conditioning perhaps part of the reason that Lehner was injured?  :blink:

"I really don’t like to comment on people’s conditioning, because no one’s done a worse job staying in shape for most of the last 25 years than me. Lehner’s 2014-15 season ended with a concussion, and he was not ready for this year. I did not get the opportunity to discuss this with Murray, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if that contributed to the injury. The Sabres are very excited about hiring Oliver Finlay as director of player performance. Getting Lehner sorted out is a major priority."

Friedman (30 Thoughts) on Lehner: Conditioning perhaps part of the reason that Lehner was injured?  :blink:

"I really don’t like to comment on people’s conditioning, because no one’s done a worse job staying in shape for most of the last 25 years than me. Lehner’s 2014-15 season ended with a concussion, and he was not ready for this year. I did not get the opportunity to discuss this with Murray, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if that contributed to the injury. The Sabres are very excited about hiring Oliver Finlay as director of player performance. Getting Lehner sorted out is a major priority."

The guy couldn't even exercise until June...not surprising if he isn't in game shape 4 months later

Friedman (30 Thoughts) on Lehner: Conditioning perhaps part of the reason that Lehner was injured? :blink:

I'm not sure I understand what conditioning has to do with spraining an ankle on a flukey play.

Ya know, I wasn't going to make you pay for the tank bet you lost with me, but you've been sufficiently annoying through two games that I'm going to. Expect a PM later today with the charity of my choice to send your $50 to.

Finally someone else is going to step up on their Tank Bets!

I'm not sure I understand what conditioning has to do with spraining an ankle on a flukey play.

My understanding was he came into camp because of his concussion around 245 lbs, his playing weight is under 220 lbs. That is a lot of excessive weight on his frame for those joints/tendons/muscles to handle.

Playing his way into shape?

Grant Fuhr would be proud.   :P

I know you're kinda joking, but that's really how it works. For a goalie, playing in games is really the only way to get into game shape. You can work all you want in practice, but in game is where it counts. 

You basically just have to hope you don't hurt yourself again before your body gets caught up. In the case of Lehner, his luck was bad. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.