Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

I was at a wedding on Friday when the trade went down, and have pondered the trade since then.  A couple thoughts...

1 - In a quantity for quality type of trade, it always feels good to get the best player in the deal.

2 - The Sabres gave up the 1st pick of the 2nd round in a "reported" good draft, Compher who had a really disappointing sophomore year at UofM, Grigs who while mishandled, has shown NOTHING at the NHL level that makes me believe he will ever be an impact player, and Zadorov who has tons of potential in all areas of the game, but clearly has some growing up to do.  That being said, all have good potential, and you have to give something to get something.

3 - As I posted a couple weeks ago, be prepared for SHOCKING contract numbers.  The Sabres have NO leverage, and I believe are about to get bent over by O'Reilly's agent.  I wouldn't be surprised to see cap numbers approaching or even hitting 8 mil per year.

4 - I know little about McGinn other than looking at his stat line.  Seems like a guy who had a career year two years ago with 19 goals.  Two negatives...Back problems are bad for the normal person, let alone an athlete.  Also, he is a UFA after this year.  

Edited by LabattBlue

4 - I know little about McGinn other than looking at his stat line.  Seems like a guy who had a career year two years ago with 19 goals.  Two negatives...Back problems are bad for the normal person, let alone an athlete.  Also, he is a UFA after this year.  

Slight correction. In 2011-12, playing 78 games for two different teams he scored 20 goals total. Plus he had 11 in only 47 games the next year. His back is an issue for sure.

Avs fans seem to rave about him. OReilly just did, too, today in an interview. He's big, tough, drives to the net, tries hard and has some skill, too. Good 3rd line guy or 4th.

Slight correction. In 2011-12, playing 78 games for two different teams he scored 20 goals total. Plus he had 11 in only 47 games the next year. His back is an issue for sure.

Avs fans seem to rave about him. OReilly just did, too, today in an interview. He's big, tough, drives to the net, tries hard and has some skill, too. Good 3rd line guy or 4th.

If McGinn's back is fine, I'm very excited. 

Good point.  I guess I didn't look that close.  

Edited by LabattBlue

So since GoDD seems to be on hiatus, I figured somebody should be looking into what makes RoR tick.

Here's a story that broke during his 2013 contract standoff:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-colorado-avalanche-father-denver-post-letter/

Here's a piece that gets into his upbringing:

http://wiggesworld.blogspot.ca/2013/04/to-ryan-oreilly-his-family-is-truly.html

Here's his dad's business:

http://www.brianoreilly.ca

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.