Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

This team won't sniff the ECF without seriously upgrading their LHDs. Gorges, McCabe, and Weber isn't going to get it done. They need a lefty for the top pair and for McCabe to develop into a top 4 so Gorges can move to bottom pair and Weber can be 7th.

I have absolutely no doubt that McCabe will be a top 4 LHD within a year or two.

That's fair. We've already debated where we both think the cap is going and what a 7.5 mil player will be worth in 4 or 5 years so no sense rehashing it. It's not his faceoff ability I love. it's the leadership and all around gameplay.

Leadership like watching the guy drafted #2 overall last year getting knocked on his ass after the whistle and not even giving a Tyler Myers level response? Even Drew Stafford would have done more.

Leadership like watching the guy drafted #2 overall last year getting knocked on his ass after the whistle and not even giving a Tyler Myers level response? Even Drew Stafford would have done more.

Yeah I remember that, that really pissed me off. 

Ennis took a similar hit and nobody really did anything other than a Gaustad level response. 

Edited by WildCard

I'm asking ROR to be an overall leader on and off the ice, not a tough guy.  Frankly, I think Reinhart needs to get knocked on his ass a few times.  From several reports he's been the first guy on the ice and last guy off. Every. Single. Day.  And guys like Reinhart are also practicing with him.  I don't need ROR around to jump into fights after the whistle based on a clean play by a Panthers Dman.

Edited by Derrico

I'm asking ROR to be an overall leader on and off the ice, not a tough guy.  Frankly, I think Reinhart needs to get knocked on his ass a few times.  From several reports he's been the first guy on the ice and last guy off. Every. Single. Day.  And guys like Reinhart are also practicing with him.  I don't need ROR around to jump into fights after the whistle based on a clean play by a Panthers Dman.

Like it or not, that's what leadership is. Tavares stuck up for his guy last night and he's not a tough guy.

I'll never forget the Sedin Sisters failing to stick up for themselves or their teammates against the Big Bad Bruins. It hurts your team if your leader isn't a leader

He doesn't have to drop the gloves, but he needs to stick up for his teammates and show some leadership. Push the guy back, get in his face, do something. Don't just watch it happen like a bitch and twittle your thumbs or pretend it didn't happen.

Like it or not, that's what leadership is. Tavares stuck up for his guy last night and he's not a tough guy.

I'll never forget the Sedin Sisters failing to stick up for themselves or their teammates against the Big Bad Bruins. It hurts your team if your leader isn't a leader

Exactly. Even Crosby would have done something and he's definitely not known for his toughness.

He doesn't have to drop the gloves, but he needs to stick up for his teammates and show some leadership. Push the guy back, get in his face, do something. Don't just watch it happen like a bitch and twittle your thumbs or pretend it didn't happen.

Hahahhaa, well I would have liked to seen a response as well but I'm not going to micro analyze every minor mistake.  It wasn't like the Lucic / Miller stick swinging incident here.

Edited by Derrico

Hahahhaa, well I would have liked to seen a response as well but I'm not going to micro analyze every minor mistake.  It wasn't like the Lucic / Miller stick swinging incident here.

It's not a minor mistake. We've bitched for years about how this team has no spine, and many of us have speculated Kane is on Eichel's wing to protect him. But Reinhart gets thrown down and the guy with the highest contract in team history, who is supposed to be a leader and who Reinhart said has taken him under his wing, literally did nothing. 

It's not a minor mistake. We've bitched for years about how this team has no spine, and many of us have speculated Kane is on Eichel's wing to protect him. But Reinhart gets thrown down and the guy with the highest contract in team history, who is supposed to be a leader and who Reinhart said has taken him under his wing, literally did nothing. 

That wasn't a big deal IMO. He was in the crease. 

The whistle was blown and your 20 year old building block got decked from behind. Crease or not, O'reilly needs to stick up for Reinhart. Or someone does at least. 

I didn't think it was from behind.  Reinhart was whacking for the puck at/slightly after the whistle and that type of play happens all of the time.  There was no penalty call (nor should there have been).  I just think most guys don't actually fall down.

I know I'm biased because O'Reilly is my guy, but if the definition of leadership is pushing a guy, I think we've officially gone nuts.

Well stripping anything to their basics will make it seem ridiculous. Might as well say if we're valuing someone for how fast they can move on frozen water is nuts too. 

Everyone on this board wanted new leadership. We wanted to be tough, power forwards like Kane and Foligno with mean streaks, Myers finally using his size in hitting and fighting, and Grigensons and Zadorov just being animals. I saw twice last night where two key parts of this team's core moving forward will hit in circumstances that would warrant a teammate stepping in, and the response was 'meh' 

Well stripping anything to their basics will make it seem ridiculous. Might as well say if we're valuing someone for how fast they can move on frozen water is nuts too. 

Everyone on this board wanted new leadership. We wanted to be tough, power forwards like Kane and Foligno with mean streaks, Myers finally using his size in hitting and fighting, and Grigensons and Zadorov just being animals. I saw twice last night where two key parts of this team's core moving forward will hit in circumstances that would warrant a teammate stepping in, and the response was 'meh' 

It takes time to build that level of "oh hell no." patience

I'm willing to bet we could go through game by game of Chicago last year and find plenty of innocuous hits with no real response.

It takes time to build that level of "oh hell no." patience

I disagree. I think some players are like that and others aren't. There were sparks in the years prior where we all thought a certain guy was finally going to be as tough as we wanted, and then they would revert to what they really are

I'm willing to bet we could go through game by game of Chicago last year and find plenty of innocuous hits with no real response.

True.  I was just actually trying to look up how many roughing penalties Towes has but couldn't find anything.  I'm not sure I want him jumping in after every whistle if I'm a Hawks fan.

True.  I was just actually trying to look up how many roughing penalties Towes has but couldn't find anything.  I'm not sure I want him jumping in after every whistle if I'm a Hawks fan.

Toews, Ovechkin, and Crosby have all fought. And the Penguins stick up for Crosby 

Reinhart will have to learn and his team will have to learn when they need to fight or scrum. Again it takes time. Let's see what this team is doing and how it is reacting in December or February. Right now, Reinhart isn't exactly a key member of the team. He's got a ton to prove.

Edited by LGR4GM

The whistle was blown and your 20 year old building block got decked from behind. Crease or not, O'reilly needs to stick up for Reinhart. Or someone does at least. 

The only thing that worried me about that was Samson didn't keep his feet. he got right back up. Really that was nothing. IMO. 

He should expect to get his ass dumped hanging out there. And he will. And he shouldn't stop. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.