Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

Can you at least understand why there would a lack of excitement to pay a ransom to acquire a sub 60 point player and have to pay him like Toews? I can understand yours and others excitement about bold moves, but I am still wondering why this guy wasn't getting paid by his club if he is the messiah that many seem to think he is. Nice player? Sure. 8 million nice? Not sold. Therefore not as excited as you and others. Moving on, cheering for the laundry.

Still getting through the thread, so I apologize if this has been said, or is redundant at this point. But:

You know who is a 60 point player? Jonathan Toews.

I would say that having scored more than 60 points in a season already, and at only 24 years of age, ROR is perfectly capable of repeating this feat many more times. I think the Toews comparison is a good one, as both are seen as very good defensive players, who do all the little things, can penalty kill, and are extremely hard workers, in addition to being able to contribute meaningfully on the scoresheet. Obviously ROR isn't in the same class as Toews, but the comparison in points output and style is apt.

And ROR won't be paid like Toews. Toews makes over 10 Mil a year. ROR will get 7 or 8.

Edited by Thorny

Better late than never, Thorny. I think many have latched on to the Toews idea. If Chicago had to choose between Kane and Toews it is not even a discussion. Toews wins. But the Avs chose to move ROR. So it begs the question, is he really similar or just an above average Player who has maxed to his ceiling? The intangibles Toews has are what makes him special. He is respected by players much his senior. He has great offensive skill but will do whatever the team needs including putting that on the back burner if necessary. I can't get over the idea that the Avs let him go despite the raves from the members of this board. But as the last line of the post said time to move on and cheer for the laundry and ROR will be wearing it.

Still getting through the thread, so I apologize if this has been said, or is redundant at this point. But:

You know who is a 60 point player? Jonathan Toews.

I would say that having scored more than 60 points in a season already, and at only 24 years of age, ROR is perfectly capable of repeating this feat many more times. I think the Toews comparison is a good one, as both are seen as very good defensive players, who do all the little things, can penalty kill, and are extremely hard workers, in addition to being able to contribute meaningfully on the scoresheet. Obviously ROR isn't in the same class as Toews, but the comparison in points output and style is apt.

And ROR won't be paid like Toews. Toews makes over 10 Mil a year. ROR will get 7 or 8.

So we have a consistent 60 point player, very good all around, power play, penalty kill, hard worker, Lady Byng nominee................................

2007 Jason Pominville?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Better late than never, Thorny. I think many have latched on to the Toews idea. If Chicago had to choose between Kane and Toews it is not even a discussion. Toews wins. But the Avs chose to move ROR. So it begs the question, is he really similar or just an above average Player who has maxed to his ceiling? The intangibles Toews has are what makes him special. He is respected by players much his senior. He has great offensive skill but will do whatever the team needs including putting that on the back burner if necessary. I can't get over the idea that the Avs let him go despite the raves from the members of this board. But as the last line of the post said time to move on and cheer for the laundry and ROR will be wearing it.

I think it's worth noting that the Avs tried very hard to sign O'Reilly for quite a while. It's not like they didn't want to keep him. But it got to the point that they were just unwilling to pony up the money he was asking for. Money was the main issue, they weren't prepared to spend like a cap team. The had to trade him or lose him for nothing.

I believe you are probably right in saying that Chicago keeps Toews over Kane if they had to choose. The O'Reilly situation is a bit different though, and I am not going to say that O'Reilly is in the same class as Toews (And he won't be paid as such). But he is a similar type player who won't net you significantly less points, and perhaps could match him in some seasons.

Having finished the thread, a lot of what I am saying has already been covered, so I won't ramble on further. I agree with your bottom line regarding the laundry. :beer:

So we have a consistent 60 point player, very good all around, power play, penalty kill, hard worker, Lady Byng nominee................................

2007 Jason Pominville?

Jason Pominville is a really good player and was one of my favorites when he was here. I do think though that Toews (obviously) and ROR do things that separate themselves from Mr. Short-handed-OT-series-winner.

• 3 months later...

Grigorenko is a victim of Darcy's haste and paranoia. I will always believe that. He could have been handled so much better.

No doubt he could've been handled better, but you also have to factor in why, to the surprise of a lot of people, he was available for us to draft.

Chances are others saw exactly what he's currently becoming - A highly touted bust.

But yes, Darcy handled him like an amateur.

I still regret losing Zadorov. A couple years from now O'Reilly will be redundant with all of our center depth. Hopefully we won't have a big gaping hole at LHD by then but I doubt whomever Murray gets to fill the void will be as good as Zadorov.

Having quality center depth is really important, though.  If you're serious about winning in the playoffs you need 3 good centers and a couple more on the wings in case any go down.

Having quality center depth is really important, though. If you're serious about winning in the playoffs you need 3 good centers and a couple more on the wings in case any go down.

Yes it is but so is having a stud top pairing. We have Gorges, Weber, and McCabe on our left side at this point and even without O'Reilly we'd have plenty of center depth with Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson, Legwand, and even Ennis and Foligno who have played center at times in the past. Having O'Reilly is great right now to allow Eichel and Reinhart time to grow into their roles but I still hope we can trade him to a team like Toronto in a few years after our young centers have developed and we need to free up cap space to lock them and others guys up to long term contracts.

I don't think Zadorov was traded because Murray is short-sighted or he was what it would take to get the deal done.  On the contrary, I think Zadorov was traded because Murray didn't want a lazy player with an attitude messing up the locker room and Zadorov WAS what helped get the deal done.

I liked Nikita. I think he would have been fine here. I hope he has a good career in Colorado except if they play us.

But we needed forwards. Specifically centers. You can't win without those. You can have the best D corps in the world but if they have no one to pass the puck to it doesn't matter.

Trading a D prospect for an NHL center is the move you always make. Always.

I liked Nikita. I think he would have been fine here. I hope he has a good career in Colorado except if they play us.

But we needed forwards. Specifically centers. You can't win without those. You can have the best D corps in the world but if they have no one to pass the puck to it doesn't matter.

Can't disagree with this.

And I think the key thing to that trade is Murray traded unproven, highly questionable talent with a lot of upside for a proven NHL commodity with a unique skill set.

Also, trading Nikita is much easier with Pysk, McCabe, and Risto already here. It made him expendable 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.