Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

We had an internal cap and Regier felt Pecas demands were too rich. Sucks to be a small market team with a small minded G.M. 

Actually, the Rigas family.  Regier was torn up about the whole thing, especially if anyone remembers the press conference when the trade was finally announced.

Hadn't occurred to me until you brought it up.

If the Sabres trade for Gratton, Dumont, and Gilmour at the deadline, and then suddenly decide to pay Peca, do we make the SCF that year?  Probably.  That team was so close.

Actually, the Rigas family.  Regier was torn up about the whole thing, especially if anyone remembers the press conference when the trade was finally announced.

Yeah he was under some constraints but I've never subscribed to the theory that Darcys bad moves were because of budgetary handcuffs and his good moves were because he was some sort of genius. He could have found a way.

If the Sabres trade for Gratton, Dumont, and Gilmour at the deadline, and then suddenly decide to pay Peca, do we make the SCF that year?  Probably.  That team was so close.

Don't make me emotional!

Yeah he was under some constraints but I've never subscribed to the theory that Darcys bad moves were because of budgetary handcuffs and his good moves were because he was some sort of genius. He could have found a way.

He did.  Turning Grosek into Dumont and Gilmour is still one of the most inexplicable accomplishments I can think of for an NHL GM.  Getting either one of those guys for Grosek would have been a steal.  He also stole Gratton from Tampa to load us up for a run that year and then flipped him for Briere a couple years later.  He was the best GM Buffalo could have ever asked for in the pre-salary cap era.

He doesn't have Murray's strengths but what he was able to do with a small-market, cash-strapped team was close to witchcraft.  

I'm happy Murray is here to finish the rebuild but it's silly to pretend Regier wasn't a good GM for a very long time.

He did.  Turning Grosek into Dumont and Gilmour is still one of the most inexplicable accomplishments I can think of for an NHL GM.  Getting either one of those guys for Grosek would have been a steal.  He also stole Gratton from Tampa to load us up for a run that year and then flipped him for Briere a couple years later.  He was the best GM Buffalo could have ever asked for in the pre-salary cap era.

He doesn't have Murray's strengths but what he was able to do with a small-market, cash-strapped team was close to witchcraft.  

I'm happy Murray is here to finish the rebuild but it's silly to pretend Regier wasn't a good GM for a very long time.

It was such a relief to see him go. I'm still waiting for another team to hire him as G.M. Its kind of strange that hasn't happened.

It was such a relief to see him go. I'm still waiting for another team to hire him as G.M. Its kind of strange that hasn't happened.

It was definitely time.  And the timing actually worked out well.  Had we fired him in summer 2013, I really doubt the new GM (*any* new GM) would have come in and explicitly worked to tear everything down hoping we'd finish 30th each of the next two seasons.

We gave it one last go with Pegula's money (Leino, Ehrhoff, Regehr) and it didn't work.  I'm glad Regier's last moves as GM were to start nuking every single thing about the roster to set us up for later.  And I'm glad Murray came in and got it.  It would have been tempting to come in as a new GM and make moves to improve now versus later. 

Wasn't watching the Sabers that closely back then, could you explain?

The Rigas Family who owned the Sabres at the time refused to pay Peca, who was a pretty good 2 way center, his contact demands which I believe was 3.5 Million per. The Sabres would go to 3 million I believe, but neither group would not budge. As a result he was traded in his contract year. Peca's salary demands should have been met with ease, this debacle would rank in the top three horrible Sabres Management Decisions with Black Sunday the clear cut winner. Friday was the antithesis of those two days

Kinda feel like we just un-did the Michael Peca trade from 15 years ago.

Very good take. That's pretty much exactly what happened.

And Peca is a good comparable in that he was so much more effective than the numbers show.

Warning for those who haven't seen O'Reilly much: he's not at all physical like Peca.

Very good take. That's pretty much exactly what happened.

And Peca is a good comparable in that he was so much more effective than the numbers show.

Warning for those who haven't seen O'Reilly much: he's not at all physical like Peca.

Good point and nor does he have to be. His offensive superiority to Peca makes him a pain in the ass to play against at both ends of the rink as does his ability to play in all game situations. 

Not predicting this necessarily, but If Bylsma put him on the wing next to Kane and Eichel, would there be a faster trio in the league? I don't think so and speed kills. But not before it leaves a string of defenders dead, bloodied, and dying along the way. 

GO SABRES!!!

The Rigas Family who owned the Sabres at the time refused to pay Peca, who was a pretty good 2 way center, his contact demands which I believe was 3.5 Million per. The Sabres would go to 3 million I believe, but neither group would not budge. As a result he was traded in his contract year. Peca's salary demands should have been met with ease, this debacle would rank in the top three horrible Sabres Management Decisions with Black Sunday the clear cut winner. Friday was the antithesis of those two days

It's a new era in Buffalo, that's for sure.  :beer:

I still think we need a name for Friday; is it just Eichel Day?

Here's how Colorado's AP views the O'Reilly trade. Let's just say they aren't exactly burning the city down over his departure

Because of O’Reilly’s unreasonable salary demands, the Avalanche got younger, bigger and better equipped financially — now and in the future — by sending O’Reilly and fellow Irish chum Jamie McGinn to Buffalo for some of the Sabres’ top picks in 2012 and 2013. I mean, it’s like the Avs raided Buffalo’s draft classes, getting C Mikhail Grigorenko (2012 12th overall) and D Nikita Zadorov (2013 16th overall) plus forward J.T. Compher, the University of Michigan captain selected 35th overall in 2013, and Saturday’s first pick of the second round (31st overall) — which might deliver D Brandon Carlo of Colorado Springs to Denver

Bottom line: The Avs got four players (two currently in the NHL) who are at least four years away from unrestricted free agency for two guys who are 2016 pending UFAs.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2015/06/26/good-riddance-ryan-oreillys-starting-point-was-8-million-annually-64m-over-eight-years/21632/

O'Reichel day, obviously ;)

Well if that's the name, let's hope the 4th installment turns out better than the 3rd era did.... :ph34r:

A great player and *the captain of our team*.  It's insane how that went down in retrospect but that was life before the salary cap.  He sat out the entire 2000-2001 season (another thing that happened back then) before we finally traded him for Connolly and Pyatt.  (And how much different is 2006 if Connolly is never concussed?)

If you think about the three captains we lost under Regier -- Peca, Drury, and Briere -- all because ownership never wanted to pay anyone, it's amazing how long it took for everything to fall apart.

Analysis of O'Reilly and McGinn from the writers at Mile High Hockey:

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2015/6/28/8858255/buffalo-sabres-trade-analysis-ryan-oreilly-jamie-mcginn-avalanche

Kinda feel like we just un-did the Michael Peca trade from 15 years ago.

Good call. Lot of superficial near-perfect -1 correlations between the goings on the day of the 2 trades including:

Both happened on 1st day of the draft.

Both sent highly regarded 2 way forward who wouldn't get the deal he wanted w/ the team he started the day away to a team that had been very bad for a package that included 2 former 1st round picks that had been rushed to the NHL.

Both were part of (hopefully) significant improvements in the quality of the 2 teams.

A disgruntled starting goalie was traded away / brought in for a package that was smaller / larger than expected. One being disgruntled due to his team unequivocably not going "all in" on "bringing in the tools to finish the job" and the other being disgrunted because he was no longer merely behind Methuselah but also a guy called "the Hamburglar." Can almost picture the discussion between him and his buddy "call your agent," "ok, it's ringing, now what," "say trade me right ####ing now," "trade me right ####ing now," "now HANG UP!" Hangs up the phone.

A Russian head case was brought in / sent out.

Had thought I'd come up w/ a couple of others (most likely missing some more) and granted, it's pretty much similarities like the Lincoln / Kennedy assasinations, but was bored waiting to head out to a graduation party.

Here's how Colorado's AP views the O'Reilly trade. Let's just say they aren't exactly burning the city down over his departure

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2015/06/26/good-riddance-ryan-oreillys-starting-point-was-8-million-annually-64m-over-eight-years/21632/

Well if that's the name, let's hope the 4th installment turns out better than the 3rd era did.... :ph34r:

Can't believe you went there :lol:

This whole situation was so interesting to be a part of as it unfolded. The second O'Reilly's name was out there in rumors it became an obsession for many of us.

My brother went to the Colorado game in Buffalo this year and said there were fans around him that would cheer more when he had the puck than when the Sabres did anything.

Then it got even more heightened when Bob McKenzie said that the Sabres (more specifically Murray) wanted O'Reilly badly. There was some talk at the deadline but it was always more of an offseason deal...

Then came the O'Reilly thread that spawned out of several other unrelated threads. So many said the thread was stupid for various reasons, but there was a TON of heathy discussion from both sides. It really was one of the better and less personal debates this board has had since I've been here. Those firmly against it were, for the most part, open to other voices and flexible. Those firmly for it stated their case with legitimate evidence and consistent attitudes towards O'Reilly.

However, the most interesting part is how spot on the price many had in mind was. Those against it were often against it because of the assets they thought it would take, but it took almost exactly the Zadorov, Grigorenko and 21 price that many had in mind. It was 31 instead of 21, but Compher and McGinn being involved nearly evens it out.

The fans on here are smart. We saw the prize that Murray wanted, dissected it, assessed the price and watched it all happen. What a time to be a fan of the Buffalo Sabres.

I think O'reilly is a stud. Love that he plays defense too. He is going to be so valuable for this

team as we can use him in any situation. PP..centerman..winger.penalty kill..faceoff winner. Only going to

make our young guys better. I keep thinking he is a mix of drury, peca and gaustad. All three were studs

in a different way who were invaluable.

I was a darcy fan. He did build some great teams in late 90's up until the briere/drury fiasco. He garnered

some great players.The cup run in 98 was unbelievable and the run to the ecf with the kids was

crazy. I cant wait for Oct.

Another thing I miss the real Hockey Hotline: no one can match brian blessing and mike robitaille with danny gare

.Opposing teams loved coming in to hear what they would say. Hsbc was the place to be!

So does anyone else think Tim Murray reads this board and is Santa Claus?

Blue painstakingly makes his case for O'Reilly? Done

GoDD is relentless in his lobby for Bylsma? Here you go

The entire fanbase wants Leino out of here? Check

Eleven wants Stafford gone? That took some doing, but check again

Kane to Buffalo? Sure

Everybody and their dog wants last place for McEichel? All yours, boys and girls.

Does anybody doubt Cody Hodgson will be somewhere else July 1?

Darcy was such a Scrooge

Edited by dudacek

So does anyone else think Tim Murray reads this board and is Santa Claus?

Blue painstakingly makes his case for O'Reilly? Done

GoDD is relentless in his lobby for Bylsma? Here you go

The entire fanbase wants Leino out of here? Check

Eleven wants Stafford gone? That took some doing, but check again

Kane to Buffalo? Sure

Everybody and their dog wants last place for McEichel? All yours, boys and girls.

Does anybody doubt Cody Hodgson will be somewhere else July 1?

Darcy was such a Scrooge

I expect a jersey change next year and a Victoria's Secret show featuring Kim Pegula for Smell 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.