Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

Assets are draft picks, average joes and minor leaguers. We may value them more on a personal basis but they are nothing more than bargaining chips.

We traded valued players Myers, Zadorov and assets for Kane, Bogosian, ROR, Lehner and different assets. Plus picked up Eichel. How can this be anything but AWE INSPIRING for Sabre fans.

We will be able to watch an NHL team again in Buffalo. I say we slightly overpay in 3 year contracts for Oduya and Martin (older LHD's) and this team is primed to be EXCITING.

If I'm not mistaken, Oduya already played with Kane and Bogo plus Martin I believe has ties with Bylsma, so I don't believe either of my requests are not possibilities. This will give Pysyk and McCabe some time to develop before being thrown to the lions and will give some stress relief to Risto until he's fully capable of being on the #1 blue line.

It was definitely time.  And the timing actually worked out well.  Had we fired him in summer 2013, I really doubt the new GM (*any* new GM) would have come in and explicitly worked to tear everything down hoping we'd finish 30th each of the next two seasons.

We gave it one last go with Pegula's money (Leino, Ehrhoff, Regehr) and it didn't work.  I'm glad Regier's last moves as GM were to start nuking every single thing about the roster to set us up for later.  And I'm glad Murray came in and got it.  It would have been tempting to come in as a new GM and make moves to improve now versus later. 

True dat. Well said

Assets are draft picks, average joes and minor leaguers. We may value them more on a personal basis but they are nothing more than bargaining chips.

We traded valued players Myers, Zadorov and assets for Kane, Bogosian, ROR, Lehner and different assets. Plus picked up Eichel. How can this be anything but AWE INSPIRING for Sabre fans.

We will be able to watch an NHL team again in Buffalo. I say we slightly overpay in 3 year contracts for Oduya and Martin (older LHD's) and this team is primed to be EXCITING.

If I'm not mistaken, Oduya already played with Kane and Bogo plus Martin I believe has ties with Bylsma, so I don't believe either of my requests are not possibilities. This will give Pysyk and McCabe some time to develop before being thrown to the lions and will give some stress relief to Risto until he's fully capable of being on the #1 blue line.

To be fair, some are young players that flashed a fair amount of upside at the NHL level, too. Zadorov was one such asset. 

Although his disappearance over the last 20 games last year was concerning. Maybe that had to with with Nolan or just playing on a sinking ship, but it raised flags for me none the less. I contrast that to a player like Girgensons who plays balls out regardless of the situation. Passion for the game cannot be turned on or off; you either have it or you don't. 

GO SABRES!!!

It was definitely time. And the timing actually worked out well. Had we fired him in summer 2013, I really doubt the new GM (*any* new GM) would have come in and explicitly worked to tear everything down hoping we'd finish 30th each of the next two seasons.

We gave it one last go with Pegula's money (Leino, Ehrhoff, Regehr) and it didn't work. I'm glad Regier's last moves as GM were to start nuking every single thing about the roster to set us up for later. And I'm glad Murray came in and got it. It would have been tempting to come in as a new GM and make moves to improve now versus later.

Yep. Regier himself had to know that even though he prepared the fans for "suffering", he just couldn't survive it when rhetoric met reality. It was certainly time for him to go, but I give him credit for starting the process and basically giving his successor no choice but to continue nuking the roster. It had to be done.

Yep. Regier himself had to know that even though he prepared the fans for "suffering", he just couldn't survive it when rhetoric met reality. It was certainly time for him to go, but I give him credit for starting the process and basically giving his successor no choice but to continue nuking the roster. It had to be done.

I've never thought of it that way, but it takes stones to start a process that will definitely help the team even if it costs you your job before the rewards are realized.

This whole situation was so interesting to be a part of as it unfolded. The second O'Reilly's name was out there in rumors it became an obsession for many of us.

My brother went to the Colorado game in Buffalo this year and said there were fans around him that would cheer more when he had the puck than when the Sabres did anything.

Then it got even more heightened when Bob McKenzie said that the Sabres (more specifically Murray) wanted O'Reilly badly. There was some talk at the deadline but it was always more of an offseason deal...

Then came the O'Reilly thread that spawned out of several other unrelated threads. So many said the thread was stupid for various reasons, but there was a TON of heathy discussion from both sides. It really was one of the better and less personal debates this board has had since I've been here. Those firmly against it were, for the most part, open to other voices and flexible. Those firmly for it stated their case with legitimate evidence and consistent attitudes towards O'Reilly.

However, the most interesting part is how spot on the price many had in mind was. Those against it were often against it because of the assets they thought it would take, but it took almost exactly the Zadorov, Grigorenko and 21 price that many had in mind. It was 31 instead of 21, but Compher and McGinn being involved nearly evens it out.

The fans on here are smart. We saw the prize that Murray wanted, dissected it, assessed the price and watched it all happen. What a time to be a fan of the Buffalo Sabres.

Very well put

To be fair, some are young players that flashed a fair amount of upside at the NHL level, too. Zadorov was one such asset. 

Although his disappearance over the last 20 games last year was concerning. Maybe that had to with with Nolan or just playing on a sinking ship, but it raised flags for me none the less. I contrast that to a player like Girgensons who plays balls out regardless of the situation. Passion for the game cannot be turned on or off; you either have it or you don't. 

GO SABRES!!!

We traded valued players Myers, Zadorov and assets

Not to quibble with you but I did say this. I guess what is so surprising to me was their best NHL assets, Ennis, Girgs, Reinhart, Larrson and Risto they didn't have to give up. Add in Eichel, Kane, Bogo, ROR and Lehner and that is a pretty darn good under 25 team and core. WOW, GO SABRES. How long until October?????

Zadorov I will miss greatly. I enjoyed seeing him play. Huge upside.

However, the return being one Ryan O'Reilly makes that hurt less. It is an awesome addition that helps Eichel and Samson coming in. Having ROR will let them grow into their roles instead of being forced into it right off the bat. I think everyone on all sides including the players themselves should be thrilled with this deal.

Thank you GMTM for providing us with all of this fun.

This whole situation was so interesting to be a part of as it unfolded. The second O'Reilly's name was out there in rumors it became an obsession for many of us.

My brother went to the Colorado game in Buffalo this year and said there were fans around him that would cheer more when he had the puck than when the Sabres did anything.

Then it got even more heightened when Bob McKenzie said that the Sabres (more specifically Murray) wanted O'Reilly badly. There was some talk at the deadline but it was always more of an offseason deal...

Then came the O'Reilly thread that spawned out of several other unrelated threads. So many said the thread was stupid for various reasons, but there was a TON of heathy discussion from both sides. It really was one of the better and less personal debates this board has had since I've been here. Those firmly against it were, for the most part, open to other voices and flexible. Those firmly for it stated their case with legitimate evidence and consistent attitudes towards O'Reilly.

However, the most interesting part is how spot on the price many had in mind was. Those against it were often against it because of the assets they thought it would take, but it took almost exactly the Zadorov, Grigorenko and 21 price that many had in mind. It was 31 instead of 21, but Compher and McGinn being involved nearly evens it out.

The fans on here are smart. We saw the prize that Murray wanted, dissected it, assessed the price and watched it all happen. What a time to be a fan of the Buffalo Sabres.

Well said. I expect the level of discourse to only get higher as the team climbs the standings. Bring on October.

Well said. I expect the level of discourse to only get higher as the team climbs the standings. Bring on October.

It's can only be better than the last 2 seasons of tanking discussions. Can't wait to get back to GDT threads that are longer than 3 pages!

Oh and good posts to both you and Hoss, well said, boys. 

We traded valued players Myers, Zadorov and assets

Not to quibble with you but I did say this. I guess what is so surprising to me was their best NHL assets, Ennis, Girgs, Reinhart, Larrson and Risto they didn't have to give up. Add in Eichel, Kane, Bogo, ROR and Lehner and that is a pretty darn good under 25 team and core. WOW, GO SABRES. How long until October?????

Not a quibble at all, I flat out missed that. Apologies. 

And I agree, we didn't have to raid the cupboard for our best assets. I was worried that with 21 no longer available to them, that Colorado would insist on a Girgs or Risto. I wouldn't have like the deal if either one had. 

Yeah, looking forward to October as well. Hell, I'm jacked about the prospects game in a few weeks. 

I need a life!

GO SABRES!!!

So when will statue of Darcy go up?

Doubt there's a statue on the way, but now that The Tank is complete, the book is finally closed on everything Regier worked on.  He'll be inducted into the Sabres Hall of Fame and Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame eventually, probably at the same time we put Ruff in.

Doubt there's a statue on the way, but now that The Tank is complete, the book is finally closed on everything Regier worked on.  He'll be inducted into the Sabres Hall of Fame and Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame eventually, probably at the same time we put Ruff in.

Really?  :huh:

No, he wont.

Ruff and Regier are the most successful combo in team history and it's not close.  Pretty confident they're both going in.

Ruff without a doubt. I doubt Darcy makes it.

Only because they had nearly half of the team's lifetime to do it

We made the ECF their first year and the SCF their second year, with big trades at the deadline helping both times.  Four trips to the ECF, one trip to the SCF, and one Presidents Trophy in their first 10 years.  People forget because of how bad the last 4 years were.

We made the ECF their first year and the SCF their second year, with big trades at the deadline helping both times.  Four trips to the ECF, one trip to the SCF, and one Presidents Trophy in their first 10 years.  People forget because of how bad the last 4 years were.

1 trip to the SCF, and missed the playoffs 7/16 times in a league where half of the teams make the playoffs every year. IMO that's not worthy of any recognition 

1 trip to the SCF, and missed the playoffs 7/16 times in a league where half of the teams make the playoffs every year. IMO that's not worthy of any recognition 

By this measure, basically no one in team history deserves any recognition.

Are you also saying Ruff doesn't deserve recognition?  Ruff/Regier had a terrible last four seasons.  It doesn't wipe our their incredible first decade of work.

By this measure, basically no one in team history deserves any recognition.

Are you also saying Ruff doesn't deserve recognition?  Ruff/Regier had a terrible last four seasons.  It doesn't wipe our their incredible first decade of work.

I'm not inclined to disagree with this, management wise. Rewarding someone for doing relatively better than those who failed miserably before them isn't something I would like Buffalo to do. 

I'm not inclined to disagree with this, management wise. Rewarding someone for doing relatively better than those who failed miserably before them isn't something I would like Buffalo to do. 

And ownership wise?  The Sabres turned their back on three captains -- Peca, Drury, and Briere -- during Regier's tenure because ownership didn't want to pay them.  (Along with a bunch of other guys they didn't want to pay.)  One ownership group ended up in jail, leaving the team in bankruptcy and owned by the league with its future in doubt.  Even before that, do people remember the pre-salary cap NHL?  The Sabres couldn't afford to sign their own RFAs, let alone find help via UFA.  

We're pretty spoiled now.  The NHL is a fairly level playing field and we have an owner who doesn't care about spending money at all.  

Thinking back to what Ruff and Regier did in their first 10 seasons with the deck completely stacked against them is mind-boggling here in 2015.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.