Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

I still don't think when the dust settles Zemgus will be a 3rd line guy.  He may see it on occasion for depth reasons but his production won't be 3rd line. 

I agree. I would see him as the second line LW overtime. That or we will have a line up like the 2002 red wings and he can gladly take on the role as shutdown 3rd liner.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/morning_roundup/2015/06/oreilly-excited-about-joining-buffalo-sabres.html

There are reports that the Sabres will sign O’Reilly to a long-term $60 million contract once the new National Hockey League year begins on July 1.

Term of extension- AAV - Age at expiration

6 years - $10M - 31

7 years - $8.5M - 32

8 years - $7.5M - 33

9 years - $6.7 - 34

10 years - $6M - 35

11 years - $5.5 - 36

12 years - $5M - 37

13 years - $4.6M - 38

14 years - $4.2M - 39

15 years - $4M - 40

In bold is the nice sweet spot in my mind.  Good AAV, especially in the future higher-cap years.  Locks up all of his prime years.  Reduced risk of retiring before the contract's up/minimizes penalty.  He can extend that contract in a different (reduced?) role as an old man and retire a Sabre if he/we wants.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/morning_roundup/2015/06/oreilly-excited-about-joining-buffalo-sabres.html

Term of extension- AAV - Age at expiration

6 years - $10M - 31

7 years - $8.5M - 32

8 years - $7.5M - 33

9 years - $6.7 - 34

10 years - $6M - 35

11 years - $5.5 - 36

12 years - $5M - 37

13 years - $4.6M - 38

14 years - $4.2M - 39

15 years - $4M - 40

In bold is the nice sweet spot in my mind. Good AAV, especially in the future higher-cap years. Locks up all of his prime years. Reduced risk of retiring before the contract's up/minimizes penalty. He can extend that contract in a different (reduced?) role as an old man and retire a Sabre if he/we wants.

You can only sign up to 8 years for an extension.

I also think Bizjournals is citing non-existent reports.

Edited by Hoss

So we know how much cap space we have to play with?

ROR's deal won't affect the cap until next season. Jack Eichel is getting the rookie max. I don't think it will change how Murray does things today.  I do however expect to hear about both of these signings today or tomorrow. 

So we know how much cap space we have to play with?

The combination of Eichel's deal & Cody's buyout basically wash w/ what Cody was scheduled to get.

O'Reilley is pencilled in at $7.5MM AAV (maybe $8MM worst case).

They still have plenty of cap room.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.