Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I agree, to a point. Two things that need to be considered. Take the bottom 7-8 teams in attendance and most of them have ticket discounts days before a game that isn't selling well. When the new onwer came in he said that was going to end because he said it wasn't fair to fans that paid full price to be sitting next to somebody that paid half as much. When you're a non-playoff team, that will make a considerable impact on the attendance numbers. Also, the Panthers have had pretty good attendance in the past when they had good teams. 2011-12 when they won the division and even the following year when they unloaded all the guys that got them there, the attendance was middle of the pack. All while the typical low attendance teams were still near the bottom.

This is supposed to be the year the Panthers break through from their long rebuild. I want to wait and see how the attendance turns out by the end of the year before deciding whether or not the Panthers should stay or not. Viola also owns Sunrise Sports and Entertainment group, if he leaves he takes all the arena events with him which leaves the county with an empty arena.

Well.. that's just worse if you ask me.  If he owns everything happening in the arena then you'd think he'd want as many people in there as possible.  The cost of putting a fan in a seat has to be minimal in a venue like that.  A few extra security guards, a few extra ushers, a few extra people to clean up.  An empty seat generates zero revenue, in ticket sales or concessions.  Fair or not, you need butts in the seats. With no one there it has to be hard to even keep the team break even.

If people don't start showing up the NHL will put pressure on them to move as it looks horrible for the league to have highlights of a team with empty seats everywhere.

Well.. that's just worse if you ask me.  If he owns everything happening in the arena then you'd think he'd want as many people in there as possible.  The cost of putting a fan in a seat has to be minimal in a venue like that.  A few extra security guards, a few extra ushers, a few extra people to clean up.  An empty seat generates zero revenue, in ticket sales or concessions.  Fair or not, you need butts in the seats. With no one there it has to be hard to even keep the team break even.

If people don't start showing up the NHL will put pressure on them to move as it looks horrible for the league to have highlights of a team with empty seats everywhere.

I'm wondering if they already got pressure from the NHL when the NHL approved Viola as the new owner. I'm sure the NHL would rather see increased season tickets sales and it sounds like that's what Viola was trying to accomplish. If you're offering tickets at highly discounted rates, what's the sense in buying season tickets? By getting rid of the discounts season ticket sles doubled for this year with a 90% renewal rate from last year.

They've made some big improvements at the arena this year. I want to wait a year before I pass judgement. It's a pivotal year for the team.

http://www.thescore.com/news/847667

Pitkanen says he is close to returning to form, hard to imagine him coming back from this type of injury though.

Completely fractured his heel bone.  Was wondering what happened to him, damn that looked bad.

Edited by Huckleberry

I'm wondering if they already got pressure from the NHL when the NHL approved Viola as the new owner. I'm sure the NHL would rather see increased season tickets sales and it sounds like that's what Viola was trying to accomplish. If you're offering tickets at highly discounted rates, what's the sense in buying season tickets? By getting rid of the discounts season ticket sles doubled for this year with a 90% renewal rate from last year.

They've made some big improvements at the arena this year. I want to wait a year before I pass judgement. It's a pivotal year for the team.

Appreciate the insight on the season ticket sales.  It'll be interesting to see where it goes.  I'm not doubting that ownership has a short time frame to turn it around (1 year?).  

I really like seeing Dylan Larkin do so well. USA hockey has 3 good centers coming up (him, Eich, and Auston) which has always seemed to be a weak spot. Also, it makes me feel better about Murray, who wanted to use the 3 seconds in 2014 to go up and grab him, a move that might have horrified me at the time, but now would have been a steal.

I really like seeing Dylan Larkin do so well. USA hockey has 3 good centers coming up (him, Eich, and Auston) which has always seemed to be a weak spot. Also, it makes me feel better about Murray, who wanted to use the 3 seconds in 2014 to go up and grab him, a move that might have horrified me at the time, but now would have been a steal.

Larkin and Fasching were a fun pairing to watch at the WJC.  Glad to see Larkin continue to ball.

I was a little curious to see where the standings were at this time last year to see how much we can get from the first two weeks (just under).

Fourteen of the sixteen playoff teams held a playoff spot at this point last season (Blue Jackets over Rangers, Kings and Sharks over Blues and Jets).

Three of the bottom five teams in the standings finished in the bottom five (the Rangers and Avs were the two that didn't).

The year before:

Eleven of the sixteen playoff teams held a spot.

Two of the bottom five teams in the standings finished there (two of the other three made the playoffs).

Edited by Hoss

Appreciate the insight on the season ticket sales.  It'll be interesting to see where it goes.  I'm not doubting that ownership has a short time frame to turn it around (1 year?).  

Take it for what it's worth, I'm not sure how many season tickets were sold last year. This is the year of their rebuild where anything less than making the playoffs is unacceptable. Could be a long offseason if it doesn't happen...... for the team and the status of the organization in SoFL.

Not a bad career at all. 

Curtis Glencross

Left Wing

Born Dec 28 1982  -- Kindersley, SASK 

Height 6.01 -- Weight 200 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----

Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000-01  Brooks Bandits              AJHL   60   23   22   45  113

2001-02  Brooks Bandits              AJHL   53   42   26   68  163

2002-03  U. of Alaska-Anchorage      WCHA   35   11   12   23   79

2003-04  U. of Alaska-Anchorage      WCHA   37   21   13   34   79

2003-04  Cincinnati Mighty Ducks     AHL     7    2    1    3    6   9   1   6   7  10

2004-05  Cincinnati Mighty Ducks     AHL    51    6    3    9   63  12   2   0   2  10

2005-06  Portland Pirates            AHL    41   15   10   25   85  19   4   6  10  37

2006-07  Portland Pirates            AHL    31    6   10   16   74  --  --  --  --  --

2006-07  Anaheim Ducks               NHL     2    1    0    1    2  --  --  --  --  --

2006-07  Syracuse Crunch             AHL    29   19   16   35   53  --  --  --  --  --

2006-07  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL     7    0    0    0    0  --  --  --  --  --

2007-08  Columbus Blue Jackets       NHL    36    6    6   12   25  --  --  --  --  --

2007-08  Edmonton Oilers             NHL    26    9    4   13   28  --  --  --  --  --

2008-09  Calgary Flames              NHL    74   13   27   40   42   6   0   3   3  12

2009-10  Calgary Flames              NHL    67   15   18   33   58  --  --  --  --  --

2010-11  Calgary Flames              NHL    79   24   19   43   59  --  --  --  --  --

2011-12  Calgary Flames              NHL    67   26   22   48   62  --  --  --  --  --

2012-13  Calgary Flames              NHL    40   15   11   26   18  --  --  --  --  --

2013-14  Calgary Flames              NHL    38   12   12   24   12  --  --  --  --  --

2014-15  Calgary Flames              NHL    53    9   19   28   39  --  --  --  --  --

2014-15  Washington Capitals         NHL    18    4    3    7    6  10   1   0   1   2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHL Totals                        507  134  141  275  351  16   1   3   4  14

Edited by X. Benedict

Blues' Bouwmeester just had a goal called off because it hit the curved glass by the bench rather than the flat pane around the rest of the rink.

Rule introduced after glass at benches modified in aftermath of Chara Pacioretty incident. 1st time I'd seen that.

Blues' Bouwmeester just had a goal called off because it hit the curved glass by the bench rather than the flat pane around the rest of the rink.

Rule introduced after glass at benches modified in aftermath of Chara Pacioretty incident. 1st time I'd seen that.

Whaaaaaat. So was it out of play then?

Whaaaaaat. So was it out of play then?

That's what the refs ruled after Price went behind the net to play what he thought was going around the boards but instead the puck went into the newly vacated net.

They made the right call but, it seemed like the refs/linesmen would have let the play continue if it didn't go right into the net. Weird play. Expect it happens more often (coming back into play off the curved glass, not into the net from there) but hadn't noticed it since curved glass went in.

Edited by Taro T

Phillsbury scored a goal in which he knocked the puck down with a high stick before knocking it into the net. They had already overruled a Panthers goal earlier in the game that should have stood, this time Gallant was trying to get the refs attention because he wanted a challenge. Instead of doing so the refs rushed the start of play by dropping the puck before the Panthers even had somebody in the faceoff circle. Gallant was pissed!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/las9dcfrvxcv22l/20151020_231813.wmv?dl=0

Here's the bench view during that same faceoff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awax8sffr1ca7hb/20151020_231947.wmv?dl=0

I've never heard that before. I'm surprised this is the first time it's been mentioned.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I've never heard that before. I'm surprised this is the first time it's been mentioned.

It's probably the first time it ever has happened.  They are very small curved panes and they haven't been around for very long.

Phillsbury scored a goal in which he knocked the puck down with a high stick before knocking it into the net. They had already overruled a Panthers goal earlier in the game that should have stood, this time Gallant was trying to get the refs attention because he wanted a challenge. Instead of doing so the refs rushed the start of play by dropping the puck before the Panthers even had somebody in the faceoff circle. Gallant was pissed!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/las9dcfrvxcv22l/20151020_231813.wmv?dl=0

Here's the bench view during that same faceoff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awax8sffr1ca7hb/20151020_231947.wmv?dl=0

Wow, a professional sports league ignoring/bending their own replay rules to benefit one team over another and/or to cover up their own incompetence?

That never happens!

Hopefully the Panthers make a bunch of noise about that to the league (not that it will do any good).  The on ice officials literally ignored them and did what they could to ensure that there was no review.