Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Well they far exceeded their low bar. The NHL has been playing the "long game". They're not incompetent. :p

Hopefully Zac Rinaldo thinks twice about running Lehner or Eichel this season.

If the Sharks aren't an MFT, then Rinaldo may be fine :(

From what I understand he wasn't a repeat offender for the basis of fines, but that isn't necessarily applied to suspensions. That's how I read the tweets about it anyway.

It specifically mentions suspensions in the CBA.  I love that the league did it, but I get the feeling that they'll lose this one on appeal Tom Brady style.

(d) status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen (18)

months on a rolling basis. For example, where a Player is suspended for the first time, he

becomes a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen (18) months of the first

incident. If he does not have another suspension within eighteen (18) months of the first

incident, his next suspension will be treated as a "first" offense.

Then again, the wording there seems a bit off to me, the way they use the whole "first offense" term.  With this wording, it seems like someone who was suspended 3 times within 18 months, only the first of those three could ever be counted as the "first" offense.  I'm overanalyzing I'm sure, their intent is clear, but I'd say they wrote it poorly.

It specifically mentions suspensions in the CBA.  I love that the league did it, but I get the feeling that they'll lose this one on appeal Tom Brady style.

Then again, the wording there seems a bit off to me, the way they use the whole "first offense" term.  With this wording, it seems like someone who was suspended 3 times within 18 months, only the first of those three could ever be counted as the "first" offense.  I'm overanalyzing I'm sure, their intent is clear, but I'd say they wrote it poorly.

This is all I've got:

On Raffi Torres, "Repeat Offender" status under NHL CBA relates only to compensation and not to length of suspension...

...which means NHL can rely on player history even if last violation is outside 18 month window.

Montreal GM on Kassian:  "“I’m a firm believer in character, and that’s really a lack of character and judgment on his part.”

Wait, how so?  The guy was a passenger in a car where the woman may have been drinking and all reports indicate that the police are waiting on blood tests to see if she was.  I'm going to put it out there and say that if she was visibly drunk, they wouldn't need to wait on the blood test.

So what, exactly, did Kassian do wrong here that reflects on his character and judgment?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/zack-kassian-montreal-canadiens-car-crash-1.3257148

Blood Alcohol Level probably comes into play in determining the degree of the charge, and also is easier to convict on than visual sobriety test I would guess.

Montreal GM on Kassian:  "“I’m a firm believer in character, and that’s really a lack of character and judgment on his part.”

Wait, how so?  The guy was a passenger in a car where the woman may have been drinking and all reports indicate that the police are waiting on blood tests to see if she was.  I'm going to put it out there and say that if she was visibly drunk, they wouldn't need to wait on the blood test.

So what, exactly, did Kassian do wrong here that reflects on his character and judgment?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/zack-kassian-montreal-canadiens-car-crash-1.3257148

Choosing to get into a vehicle driven by a woman he knew to be drunk?  drug use on the cusp of the season?  There are a couple character and judgement related decisions there.

New cba language. That hit was dirty.

There was a reference to the hit being .8 seconds after loosing possession being a reason the hit was illegal. Is this part of the new language? I work to bargain and support a cba so I am particularly interested in the wording. For the sake of curiosity.

Help me out here.  Kassian is wasted, but a passenger in a car wreck, and he's suspended indefinitely.  O'Reilly is the driver, and wasted, and he's cool?  Is that right?  If "drugs!" is weed, this is messed.  If coke or whatever, ok, but wtf is Kassian thinking a: admitting to use, or b: allowing a test.

Kassian in stage 2 means he's been in the NHL's substance abuse system before, no?

I was one of the guys shrugging off his dust up in a bar as a junior, but if this is strike 2 + his junior incidents........ not looking good.