Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Also: the greatest hit in Sabres history should have resulted in a penalty, using this standard.

Disagree. I think we've been through this before. Campbell separates Umberger from the puck at the moment Umberger possesses it (it's in his feet, or on his stick), or in ~.10 seconds after it leaves his possession. Also, Umberger is lurching forward, putting himself in that "vulnerable" position. Clean hit, I think -- even by modern standards.

Or do you mean one of Peca's beauts, ALL of which probably would be illegal now.

Good Lord, yes.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Do you mean the hit on Umberger?  The rules were different then and I think Campbell had the puck.

Or do you mean one of Peca's beauts, ALL of which probably would be illegal now.

I'm talking about a penalty for interference. That rule hasn't changed. The targeting of the head has been brought into play, and I don't think Campbell was guilty of that.

I guess I'm just a little lost. I don't know when .5 seconds became the standard time for defining "immediately following loss of possession." I should probably do some reading on the matter.

someone I don't know was traded to the NJD: Brian O'Neill

NYI claims Berube

TOR claims Corrado

MON claims Byron

I'm going to need you to source this information, sir. :p

Also: Patrick Roy told reporters Grigorenko will start the season as a healthy scratch.

I guess I'm just a little lost. I don't know when .5 seconds became the standard time for defining "immediately following loss of possession." I should probably do some reading on the matter.

Until today, I was not aware either. If you Google terms like  .5 seconds and NHL Department Player Safety, you will, interestingly enough, get a lot of message board chatter and blogs. You will also get results from Patrick Burke's Twitter account.

So this has to be the NHL creating a standard for an aggravating circumstance when there's a hit to the head or something of that ilk. It's not creating a standard for run of the mill interference calls. Picture a player passing the puck and getting hit on a count of one one thous... Tell me that's ever been an interference penalty or ever will be.

It makes no sense to have two standards, but, hey, it's the NHL we're talking about.

Edited by pASabreFan

So this has to be the NHL creating a standard for an aggravating circumstance when there's a hit to the head or something of that ilk. It's not creating a standard for run of the mill interference calls. Picture a player passing the puck and getting hit on a count of one one thous... Tell me that's ever been an interference penalty or ever will be.

I take your point. My guess is that, in circumstances where there's no great speed or distance and the hit is unremarkable, it's thought that there's little apparent interference to penalize. Which should probably not be the case. 

The key thing was the hit to the head. 

I think that's PA's point: The hit to the head penalty is an entirely separate issue from the interference penalty. The interference call is tied to the amount of time that passes. The head-hit is not.

TSN put out an article today listing the top line for each team going into the season:

http://www.tsn.ca/top-30-lines-heading-into-nhl-season-1.372439

8 teams they have a "1" and "1A" line due to certain teams being stocked with so much talent there's no clear cut definition of a first line.

It's nice to see the Sabres listed as one of those 8 teams. Anaheim, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, San Jose and Tampa Bay are the other 7 teams on that list. Pretty good company to be in. Things are starting to come up Sabres!

Edited by mustacheofgod

Woman tells Jimmy Kimmel that she cheated on her boyfriend with an NHL player.  Further research determines that there's only one possibility to her claim.  Tyler Johnson of the Lightning denies it, though.  I lean towards believing her.   :w00t:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/10/06/tyler-johnson-lightning-jimmy-kimmel-cheating-video

Why is this "story" even worth being posted by SI?

Woman tells Jimmy Kimmel that she cheated on her boyfriend with an NHL player.  Further research determines that there's only one possibility to her claim.  Tyler Johnson of the Lightning denies it, though.  I lean towards believing her.   :w00t:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/10/06/tyler-johnson-lightning-jimmy-kimmel-cheating-video

I think it's important to understand how many tenths of a second Tyler took before forming an opinion.

Anyone know the Leafs will be doing anything special in 2016-17 for the 50th anniversary of their last trip to the Stanley Cup Finals? :devil:

Tanking.

I am watching the Laughs V. Candiens, should be fun.

I would wish badcock luck but, I like Byslma better now anyway.

Brad Boyes is on the Leafs top line... yup remember those sad sad days.

Bernier takes a shot high and it trickles in over his shoulder. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Komorov just hit Subban from behind.  Dirty hit IMPO.  Subban did get up but slow.  Komorov and a Montreal player each take a penalty. Stupid part is Komorov doesn't get any extra time.  Why don't they penalize these hits in game the way they should. 

You hit a guy like that and the team retaliates with a scrum.  2 for the guy who jumped in and 4 for the ###### who did the original hit.

Link to the gif of the hit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CQwGubLW8AAkORZ.mp4

A hit like that should be an automatic 10 game suspension.  The NHL needs to stop around.

Edited by LGR4GM