Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

There was a reference to the hit being .8 seconds after loosing possession being a reason the hit was illegal. Is this part of the new language? I work to bargain and support a cba so I am particularly interested in the wording. For the sake of curiosity.

I'm shaking my head at that one. In fact the narrator (the new Shanny?) said .8 seconds is "well past" the time a check can legally be made. That should be a fun interpretation to watch this season. Even when the NHL gets it right, they get it wrong.

I'm shaking my head at that one. In fact the narrator (the new Shanny?) said .8 seconds is "well past" the time a check can legally be made. That should be a fun interpretation to watch this season. Even when the NHL gets it right, they get it wrong.

I haven't watched it. Why say something like that? That's a hard and fast rule that is bound to be an ill fit with another scenario in the coming season. Isn't it enough to say, "Given the distance traveled, the speed of approach, and the timing of the hit in view of the player's possession of the puck, this hit is reckless and late."

I haven't watched it. Why say something like that? That's a hard and fast rule that is bound to be an ill fit with another scenario in the coming season. Isn't it enough to say, "Given the distance traveled, the speed of approach, and the timing of the hit in view of the player's possession of the puck, this hit is reckless and late."

Yes it is,  

Honorable Smell, allow me to introduce you to the National Hockey League...

It wasn't late. Why gild the lily? Charging and hit to the head are enough. Throw in intent to injure. But it wasn't interference, not unless the league want to make the amount of time that's less than .8 seconds so small that you can't legally check anyone who isn't touching the puck.

It wasn't late. Why gild the lily? Charging and hit to the head are enough. Throw in intent to injure. But it wasn't interference, not unless the league want to make the amount of time that's less than .8 seconds so small that you can't legally check anyone who isn't touching the puck.

Interesting.

Looking at the video, if that was any other player I doubt it gets much if anything especially if the player isnT badly hurt. I saw it and don't think the hit looked that bad, or any worse then what they typically let go.

Unfortunately, I think you're right for many players (maybe not *any* other player), and that's one of the problems with this league.

Ok, PA, now I've watched it a few times and I think the hit was late.  Still, stupid to be counting tenths of a second.

Edited by eleven

I actually don't have a problem with putting some math to this. There is research out there about athlete reaction times. NBC I believe did a study on goalies and found reaction times around 0.5 seconds or less. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to hold pro athletes accountable based on their abilities to react to changing situations. 

I almost wonder if the standard was driven by the players, looking for some guidelines to make discipline more fair. 

"Okay, you know you have bad reaction times. Better control yourself." 

The Hossa hit (by Torres) prompted me to look back at this issue.

Turns out, .5 seconds is an official standard for the Department of Player Safety. (I believe Burke is the director now - he's probably the voice on the video explanation.)

@emptynetters We begin looking at hits that occur around .5 seconds late. A 2 second late hit would be absurdly late.

•  
9:51 AM - 3 Dec 2014

So, there you have it. If you're over .5 seconds, you're probably getting a second look. At .8 seconds, you're probably getting disciplined.

And I'm with d4rk: There are innumerable reactions in the NHL that happen in fractions of a second. These standards sound and seem fair, actually. 

Look at the Torres hit. Is it late? Yes it is. Egregiously late? Maybe not. But it's late, for sure.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Look at the Torres hit. Is it late? Yes it is. Egregiously late? Maybe not. But it's late, for sure.

My point was that apparently the league is changing its longtime standard (which was always in violation of its written rule that talks about the period of time "immediately" after loss of possession). Players are hit more than a second after giving up the puck all the time. See every check Kaleta has ever laid.

What of the refs' reaction time? How on earth does he calculate .5 vs. .8 seconds?

And what about players who turn their back, or otherwise make themselves vulnerable, at the last second, before a hit? The league has always given the player delivering the hit the benefit of the doubt there.

Also: the greatest hit in Sabres history should have resulted in a penalty, using this standard.

Woman tells Jimmy Kimmel that she cheated on her boyfriend with an NHL player.  Further research determines that there's only one possibility to her claim.  Tyler Johnson of the Lightning denies it, though.  I lean towards believing her.   :w00t:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/10/06/tyler-johnson-lightning-jimmy-kimmel-cheating-video

Edited by EastsideOasis

My point was that apparently the league is changing its longtime standard (which was always in violation of its written rule that talks about the period of time "immediately" after loss of possession). Players are hit more than a second after giving up the puck all the time. See every check Kaleta has ever laid.

It's apparently not .5+ seconds in a vacuum -- you need other aggravating factors in order to get supp. discipline (speed, distance, lunging up, head as principal point of contact).

What of the refs' reaction time? How on earth does he calculate .5 vs. .8 seconds?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the refs are doing that. It's the Dept of Player Safety that uses this as a tool of guidance, apparently. After the fact. The refs are still making calls based on what they see in real time.

And what about players who turn their back, or otherwise make themselves vulnerable, at the last second, before a hit? The league has always given the player delivering the hit the benefit of the doubt there.

Dept of Player Safety has "educational" videos on that very issue.

Also: the greatest hit in Sabres history should have resulted in a penalty, using this standard.

Off to re-watch it now.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Do you mean the hit on Umberger?  The rules were different then and I think Campbell had the puck.

Or do you mean one of Peca's beauts, ALL of which probably would be illegal now.