Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

So that tells me that he has a high Corsi, but that's correlated to less time on ice and more starts in the offensive zone, right?

High relative Corsi with easier minutes, yea.

I think the simplest inference is that he's getting somewhere between 2nd/3rd pairing ice time (considering minutes, zone starts, and competition in totality) and doing better at it than everyone else in a similar role. It's really hard to compare the numbers to Gorges and Risto since their minutes are so much more difficult, but the other four is a reasonably fair (though imperfect) comparison. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

High relative Corsi with easier minutes, yea.

I think the simplest inference is that he's getting somewhere between 2nd/3rd pairing ice time (considering minutes, zone starts, and competition in totality) and doing better at it than everyone else in a similar role. It's really hard to compare the numbers to Gorges and Risto since their minutes are so much more difficult, but the other four is a reasonably fair (though imperfect) comparison. 

Got it--thanks.

Not to be a me too with Tom but.. me too.  I don't look at stats.  I am looking at his play on the ice.  

I think the defensive problems are real but they should not be laid at Pysyk's feat.  I'd look at McCabe and Bogosian first.  Bogosian just hasn't been all that overwhelming this year to me.

The D corps is thin.  If the Sabres are moving Pysyk it has to be part of a multi-player deal that would net a better D in return.

Not to be a me too with Tom but.. me too.  I don't look at stats.  I am looking at his play on the ice.  

I think the defensive problems are real but they should not be laid at Pysyk's feat.  I'd look at McCabe and Bogosian first.  Bogosian just hasn't been all that overwhelming this year to me.

The D corps is thin.  If the Sabres are moving Pysyk it has to be part of a multi-player deal that would net a better D in return.

I think it's unlikely that we'll see that type of deal at this time of the year.

That's the point. McGinn has materialized into a solid third liner with second line potential and he is 4 years older.

Part of the problem, I believe is that the line is being blurred across the NHL as to what is top 6. It really is the top 4 with other interchangeable pieces being thrown in. There are currently only 108 players with 13 goals which gives them a chance of hitting 20. With 30 teams in the league, you will have roughly 4 players per team if you divided them equally. A winger that can score 15 goals is a legitimate top 6 forward in this league.

This is the new Daryl Talley. Talley went from being the most underrated player to being the ,most overrated because everyone kept calling him underrated. Foligno has gone form being a favored son because of his father to being underrated because of it.

McGinn, 57 games 12 goals -13 assists - give him a new contract

Foligno 50 games 7 goals - 8 assists - he isn't even a bona fide NHL'er

Considering Foligno has battled injuries, received no power play time, gets lesser line mates, outhits McGinn, is more trustworthy in defensive situations and is younger, those stats are pretty telling

i'm hearing you're not the only one who hasn't liked Pysyk's game.

jw

I have been a Pysyk booster, but I haven't seen much of the Pysyk I like this year.

I'm tempted to blame the organization for not letting him be himself.

Edited by dudacek

in fairness, there was a time where he looked to be Teppo Lite.

Well, this was probably optimistic. Tempo had 9 seasons of 37 points or more, including 3 with 48 or more. Pysyk produced modestly on offense in juniors and not at all in 3 seasons in Rochester.

With all due respect to Freeman, that "former first rounder......" Is crap and belittles those of us who have touted Pysyk. As I have stated elsewhere, it's not an exact science but my opinion of Pysyk is a lot more evolved then some infatuation with his past draft status.

Jeez. Just having a little fun.

And I would remind you, sir, that despite what Ricky Bobby believes, the phrase "with all due respect" is not a free pass.

Well, this was probably optimistic. Tempo had 9 seasons of 37 points or more, including 3 with 48 or more. Pysyk produced modestly on offense in juniors and not at all in 3 seasons in Rochester.

Yeah. I never saw him with the offensive upside of Numa Numa

But it was his vision out of the d-zone and his ability to take great angles that reminded me of Teppo.

Credit here to X, who proffered Teppo as the reference point for Pysyk at his best. I'd thought Bill Hajt, but X said Teppo was a better point of comparison (at least in theory).

I think Larsson deserves the patience that many here have for Foligno. He finished last season producing quite well on the top line with Ennis and Moulson (and Girgensons before he got hurt maybe?), and this year he's been a beast centering the third line for us.

I think it's more than reasonable to expect him to be a strong 3rd line center who can chip in 30-35 points.

I think Larsson deserves the patience that many here have for Foligno. He finished last season producing quite well on the top line with Ennis and Moulson (and Girgensons before he got hurt maybe?), and this year he's been a beast centering the third line for us.

I think it's more than reasonable to expect him to be a strong 3rd line center who can chip in 30-35 points.

I have no patience for Larsson if he's bound for the wing. I love him centering the third and think he's been great too

Anyone who still has "patience" for Foligno being anything more than a 4th line player needs a cerebral examination.

I think it's unlikely that we'll see that type of deal at this time of the year.

Maybe not a multiplayer deal, but you do occasionally see "hockey trades" at the deadline that work out well for both teams, just look at the Hodgson for Kassian trade, both players went on to have productive, lasting..meanin...Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Jeez. Just having a little fun.

And I would remind you, sir, that despite what Ricky Bobby believes, the phrase "with all due respect" is not a free pass.

If you don't chew Big Red.........

TSN Insider a Trading: http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-who-might-hit-the-market~809747

- Sabres asking for a second round pick for Jamie McGinn, per Bob McKenzie.

- Coyotes now shopping Mikkel Boedker, per Bob McKenzie. Chicago and Pittsburgh may be fits.

- Pittsburgh could be a fit for Roman Polak.

Some other good stuff in there.

TSN Insider a Trading: http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-who-might-hit-the-market~809747

- Sabres asking for a second round pick for Jamie McGinn, per Bob McKenzie.

- Coyotes now shopping Mikkel Boedker, per Bob McKenzie. Chicago and Pittsburgh may be fits.

- Pittsburgh could be a fit for Roman Polak.

Some other good stuff in there.

A second sounds about right.... to a playoff team , which is mid-low second.

Trades as predicted by some writer, what do you guys think?

To Buffalo: D Cam Fowler, F Stefan Noesen

To Anaheim DucksF Tyler Ennis, 2016 3rd round pick (DAL or STL)

To Buffalo: D Raman Hrbarenka, 2016 4th round pick

To New Jersey: F Johan Larsson

To Buffalo: 2016 5th round pick

To Arizona: G Chad Johnson

To Buffalo: F Kerby Rychel

To Columbus: D Jake McCabe, F Nicholas Baptiste, 2017 Conditional 5th round pick

(Calls this last one 'not going to happen')

http://thehockeywriters.com/predicting-the-buffalo-sabres-trade-deadline/

To Columbus: D Jake McCabe, F Nicholas Baptiste, 2017 Conditional 5th round pick

I think the first one is reasonable, the rest is just junk.

I don't know the others well enough, but I don't see Johnson going to AZ. Domingue has been OK for them and Mike Smith is supposedly coming back this season. I think they just fill the spot with a prospect until Smith returns.

I think the 3rd one is very possible (value wise). He claims that McGinn is a deadline deal. 

I don't know the others well enough, but I don't see Johnson going to AZ. Domingue has been OK for them and Mike Smith is supposedly coming back this season. I think they just fill the spot with a prospect until Smith returns.

Same here. I could see Johnson going to a ton of contenders that'd like a solid back-up. Arizone is not one of them

As for Ennis to Anaheim, they need direct offensive help now, not a guy who's been on the shelf all season. A healthy Ennis and we could very well have Fowler. Now? We're screwed

Edited by WildCard

I think it would be a no brainer for the Sabres to accept the first one. Don't know the players well enough to comment on 2.  Number 3?  Sure.  I wouldn't do #4.

I actually like that first one.

I think it would be a no brainer for the Sabres to accept the first one. Don't know the players well enough to comment on 2.  Number 3?  Sure.  I wouldn't do #4.

No. 2:  That defenseman hasn't been able to break out of the AHL or even to play more than 48 games in it.  No thanks.

No. 3:  Why the hell would the Sabres want a fifth round pick? 

No. 4:  No; Sabres need McCabe more than they need a forward prospect.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.