The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Does anyone remember that Wishbone episode featuring Don Quixote, where Wishbone plays Sancho Panza? Awesome.

WTF! and why do I remember this? I've seen like 6 episodes ever, and I remember this one.

WTF! and why do I remember this? I've seen like 6 episodes ever, and I remember this one.

I've probably seen most of them, but that one sticks out in my mind strongly for some reason.

I remember it too haha

Great episode.

Bylsma turns PIT from a 46% possession to a 52% in a month and some Sabres fans are against his hiring because he surfed on Therrien's work.

That person would be me also. This is the part that worries me about Bylsma being our coach-saviour now. He had infinitely more talent in Pitt then he has here in Buffalo and that was his one and only Cup. Not completely sold on the puck possession times and Corsi stats etc. etc. The Leafs were huge on that this past season and man, they sucked as well. It is the thing to do right now and while puck possession matters to a certain extent. You can have it all you want in the perimeter but if you aren't generating chances with it it won't matter. What matters most is what you can do when you do have the puck. I am willing to give Disco Dan a try as I don't really know who else is out there of relevance. I would take a youngster like Richardson over DeBoer (I think DeBoer is crap, I really do) as he does have a decent track record coaching youth. Should i start a "getting to know Ron Wilson thread"? :w00t:  

On my comment about the overheard Sabres brass at lunch:

I thought K-9 was the originator of this comment. In the way it was stated in his post I thought it was just something he added to fill a hole in his argument.

I will go back and read Webster's original comment on it so I can see what I missed.

Regardless: if there were some comments between Murray or other high-ranking Sabres officials made at lunch what would the big deal be there? Of course they're disappointed and likely upset about it. They know they were used so they'll take some offense to that and express their displeasure amongst themselves. It will be heard and shared with the media and, obviously, this message board. I don't think there's meat unless they were discussing hiring a hit man.

this ghost of dwight drane must be having conniptions given that i might have more than one source with les sabres. he or she'll never admit to it, because he or she is a one-trick pony, and yet i seem to continue to confound his or her's deeply rooted biases that they've long surpassed the delusional. but what the heck do i know, given the disrespect.

:P

jw

I'm just wondering....are you going to show up at Prior tomorrow night when Gibby sends you the flight info on a text, or are you so ashamed that I have used a bully pulpit the past 3 weeks to preach to the Buffalo faithful, the glory which awaits this franchise under Dan Bylsma as opposed to someone who was looking to "Maximize Potential" like Babcock, that you'll just sit this one out?

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm just wondering....are you going to show up at Prior tomorrow night when Gibby sends you the flight info on a text, or are you so ashamed that I have used a bully pulpit the past 3 weeks to preach to the Buffalo faithful, the glory which awaits this franchise under Dan Bylsma as opposed to someone who was looking to "Maximize Potential" like Babcock, that you'll just sit this one out?

Remember this post, folks, when you try to suggest that Wawrow is the one with the obsession. :doh:

this from Yahoo Sports, plugging Bylsma:

"There’s the fact that Buffalo is slowly becoming the cradle of USA Hockey, and Bylsma is a prominent part of that program."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/dan-bylsma-s-seemingly-inevitable-marriage-to-the-buffalo-sabres-125416091.html

this from Yahoo Sports, plugging Bylsma:

"There’s the fact that Buffalo is slowly becoming the cradle of USA Hockey, and Bylsma is a prominent part of that program."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/dan-bylsma-s-seemingly-inevitable-marriage-to-the-buffalo-sabres-125416091.html

I like the "Buffalo is becoming the cradle of USA Hockey" more than than any other part of that statement.

My hope for Bylsma is that he really has studied and learned, and his system will be different than it was in Pittsburgh. He seems like a smart enough guy to be able to re-evaluate from a distance and evolve. My concern is that even if this is true, if what I got from reading Pens forum posts is true, he's not mentally agile enough to adjust on the fly (in-game or in-series changes). Things can be blatantly not working, and he'll stick with them. Is that stubbornness, lack of ability, or that at the time he didn't have the tools to change? I don't claim to know, but it's a worry.

Along those same lines, Pittsburgh's possession numbers jumped a good amount when he took over, plateau'd for a couple years, then declined. This year, even with huge blue line injuries and a forward group no better than last year, Pittsburgh's score-adjusted CF% jumped 7 points. The way I read the stats since Bylsma took over and then through this season, his system changes worked initially but then the league caught up, and he didn't have any answers for it. It's a pretty serious concern.

Speaking of system, he really did rely on stretch passes that Crosby would chip in and go retrieve. Crosby is so good that it worked when he was on the ice, but I don't think that's the best way to utilize an elite offensive talent. If I were coaching, I'd want Crosby to be controlling play and holding the puck as much as possible, not playing a glorified version of dump and chase. It's one reason they got smoked by Boston in the conference final: Boston's defensive system "layers" neutralized the stretch pass, and Bylsma didn't (or was too stubborn to, if you listen to bitter Pens fans) adjust. Basically the system allowed them to dominate inferior teams with speed and skill, but the best teams could too easily neutralize the system when they weren't outclassed talent-wise. Some fans also blamed this for Fleury's meltdowns--he was left exposed to high quality chances. Not sure I buy that, but Fleury did have a markedly better season this year.

Finally, he played Iginla on the LW side because he didn't want to take Dupuis off Crosby's wing. Yes, he made a future Hall of Famer learn a new position on the fly for the sake of Pascal freakin' Dupuis.

Again, maybe he can learn and mimic other teams effectively, but after reading what I did there's no way I could be excited about a Bylsma hire.

My hope for Bylsma is that he really has studied and learned, and his system will be different than it was in Pittsburgh. He seems like a smart enough guy to be able to re-evaluate from a distance and evolve. My concern is that even if this is true, if what I got from reading Pens forum posts is true, he's not mentally agile enough to adjust on the fly (in-game or in-series changes). Things can be blatantly not working, and he'll stick with them. Is that stubbornness, lack of ability, or that at the time he didn't have the tools to change? I don't claim to know, but it's a worry.

Along those same lines, Pittsburgh's possession numbers jumped a good amount when he took over, plateau'd for a couple years, then declined. This year, even with huge blue line injuries and a forward group no better than last year, Pittsburgh's score-adjusted CF% jumped 7 points. The way I read the stats since Bylsma took over and then through this season, his system changes worked initially but then the league caught up, and he didn't have any answers for it. It's a pretty serious concern.

Speaking of system, he really did rely on stretch passes that Crosby would chip in and go retrieve. Crosby is so good that it worked when he was on the ice, but I don't think that's the best way to utilize an elite offensive talent. If I were coaching, I'd want Crosby to be controlling play and holding the puck as much as possible, not playing a glorified version of dump and chase. It's one reason they got smoked by Boston in the conference final: Boston's defensive system "layers" neutralized the stretch pass, and Bylsma didn't (or was too stubborn to, if you listen to bitter Pens fans) adjust. Basically the system allowed them to dominate inferior teams with speed and skill, but the best teams could too easily neutralize the system when they weren't outclassed talent-wise. Some fans also blamed this for Fleury's meltdowns--he was left exposed to high quality chances. Not sure I buy that, but Fleury did have a markedly better season this year.

Finally, he played Iginla on the LW side because he didn't want to take Dupuis off Crosby's wing. Yes, he made a future Hall of Famer learn a new position on the fly for the sake of Pascal freakin' Dupuis.

Again, maybe he can learn and mimic other teams effectively, but after reading what I did there's no way I could be excited about a Bylsma hire.

1) if you're basing your opinion off of fan message boards you are likely getting bad info, the average fan really does have a hard time understanding systems from watching the game on TV. 

2)  Have you seen the playoffs?  Virtually every team is giving up big chances and the better goal tending is winning for the most part.  Fleury has been pretty horrible for them, and you can't blame his god awful performances on a perceived system. 

3) you are describing his "system" in way too generic of terms, and during the boston series, he was playing against a trap and did change up his zone entries to counter the trap. Their roster was geared more toward run and gun which also does not translate into the playoffs as well.  Look at some of those Shero trades. 

There are some reasons to be weary of Bylsma, (can he simplify a system for a young roster) but the message board ones dont really hold any water. 

His former players love him and there's a reason he is well respected around the league, guys earn their reps. 

Edited by Patty16

Patty, do you really think that message boards aren't a place to learn about a coach?  Those fans watched Bylsma 100X more than we ever did.  Obviously, you have to sift through the usual internet sewage to get to the good stuff, but when an overwhelming amount of fans dislike the guy it is cause for concern.

Fantastic post. This, in a more well thought out way, sums up my initial concerns on Bylsma. He's grown on me mostly because I think he will be the choice in the end (and soon).

You have to hope he has learned from it. The one thing his teams lacked was rugged defensemen. Most were softer offensive types. The beginning of the end of Douglas Murray's career was in Pittsburgh because it seemed like Bylsma and co. didn't know how to use him. We'll see if having that in Buffalo helps. Fleury has never been good at seeing through screens so maybe having guys to clear the front of the net will provide a different goaltending experience for Bylsma-led teams.

On the dump and chase: this is why, despite his offensive stats, the Iginla trade was a failure. The offense was killed if he was the one carrying the puck up the ice. Everybody would shoot into the zone thinking he was going to dump it in but he wanted to carry it in and set up.

Lets just hope Murray and Bylsma work well together and that they've both learned from their most recent experience.

Patty, do you really think that message boards aren't a place to learn about a coach?  Those fans watched Bylsma 100X more than we ever did.  Obviously, you have to sift through the usual internet sewage to get to the good stuff, but when an overwhelming amount of fans dislike the guy it is cause for concern.

Did a lot of us dislike Ruff at the end? I don't remember anymore but it might be a good comparison.

Remember this post, folks, when you try to suggest that Wawrow is the one with the obsession. :doh:

I actually respect Physics when he attempts a tangential insult. He's can at least hide a beef behind some humor.

Physics.....where are you???

If you show up the day after a coach is hired, I will be very disappointed. I missed your commentary during the previous hiring/firing phase.

Did a lot of us dislike Ruff at the end? I don't remember anymore but it might be a good comparison.

Ruff was criticized by some and in the end most agreed it was time.

But very few said he was an outright bad coach.

A majority of Pens fans unequivocally say Bylsma was a bad coach and list reasons why.

Edited by dudacek

I think there was a lot of respect but also a whole lot of "good riddance." If there was a discussion on it now the complaints about him would be stronger than the support I believe.

Yes I really do NOT think message boards are a great place to learn about a coach's system, as I said. How do you know who respected posters are on a board ? Like I said the average fan and average board poster can't digest the game from watching TV or even at the arena enough in order to state what a coache gameplanning is like. 

How he treats the media, his demeanor etc yea I think you could get a vibe from boards....... but not systems. 

If the fans were right, and Bylsma was such a horrible coach........why did they not do that much better once the horrible coach left?