The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

The Sharks hired Peter DeBoer. Two bullets dodged there.

Bylsma only has the Sabres or Devils left and it doesn't sound like the Devils are interested.  So, Bylsma to Buffalo should be a done deal if both sides are interested and the terms of the contract are right.  Disco Dan just lost some negotiating leverage with the SJ hiring.

Honestly, I think this might be a possibility. It kinda seemed this year that Geno was over the pens and the pens were over him. The question is what else would it take beyond the 21st pick?

Really, if they want that pick what else do they really have? Beau Bennett, thats all I can think of. Maybe Bennett, Peron, and Bylasma for the 21st.

The Pens have little organizational depth since year-after-year they trade away top-3 draft picks to acquire players at the trade deadline.  That's why they want a 1st rounder this year if they can swing it.  They're desperate to get some "home grown" youth into the organization.  We have tons of picks and prospects (and cap space), but I don't think the Pens have anyone worth #21 that they'd be willing to part with.  It'd have to be a multi-player deal of some sort (with the Bylsma compensation factored in as a small part of the deal).

The Sharks hired Peter DeBoer. Two bullets dodged there.

Agreed and an added bonus is maybe Peters will stuff the man crush on the radio every day for DeBoer.

The Pens have little organizational depth since year-after-year they trade away top-3 draft picks to acquire players at the trade deadline.  That's why they want a 1st rounder this year if they can swing it.  They're desperate to get some "home grown" youth into the organization.  We have tons of picks and prospects (and cap space), but I don't think the Pens have anyone worth #21 that they'd be willing to part with.  It'd have to be a multi-player deal of some sort (with the Bylsma compensation factored in as a small part of the deal).

Thanks for responding. ^This is what I have been thinking. What do they really have thats worth our other first. IMO nothing. If they want a 3rd round pick or something like that so they can feel better about themselves, then fine. But thats all I'm willing to give up.

Honestly, I think this might be a possibility. It kinda seemed this year that Geno was over the pens and the pens were over him. The question is what else would it take beyond the 21st pick?

Really, if they want that pick what else do they really have? Beau Bennett, thats all I can think of. Maybe Bennett, Peron, and Bylasma for the 21st.

You're probably not getting Bennett or Perron on their own for 21... Let alone both.

You're probably not getting Bennett or Perron on their own for 21... Let alone both.

I bet they'd give us Perron to get that first back. I wouldn't want him, though.

Not Bennett, though. If that guy can stay healthy he's a good player.

Edited by MBHockey13

Bylsma only has the Sabres or Devils left and it doesn't sound like the Devils are interested.  So, Bylsma to Buffalo should be a done deal if both sides are interested and the terms of the contract are right.  Disco Dan just lost some negotiating leverage with the SJ hiring.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/05/more_evidence_that_dan_bylsma_is_devils_no_1_coach.html

I bet they'd give us Perron to get that first back. I wouldn't want him, though.

Not Bennett, though. If that guy can stay healthy he's a good player.

They gave a first and Klinkhammer to get him. At the time it was deemed to be a steal, and I think it still was. We'd probably need to add another piece (nothing big). But the point still stands that Bennett and Perron for 21 is far off.

The Pens really don't have much I would be interested in beyond the obvious stars and young guys. They likely aren't going to move any of them unless they get very good value (picks and NHLers) back.

Your probably right. But when it comes to trades, their are two types of partners givers and takers. As a Sabres fan I am no longer willing to be the giver. Now is the time for zfg cutthroat negotiations. Basically I'm at the point that if you want something from us, your going to have to pay.

Your probably right. But when it comes to trades, their are two types of partners givers and takers. As a Sabres fan I am no longer willing to be the giver. Now is the time for zfg cutthroat negotiations. Basically I'm at the point that if you want something from us, your going to have to pay.

Both teams come away from trades thinking they're the takers in most situations. There is no world where a death stare over the phone is going to convince another team to give 2-3 more valuable assets than they should.

They gave a first and Klinkhammer to get him. At the time it was deemed to be a steal, and I think it still was. We'd probably need to add another piece (nothing big). But the point still stands that Bennett and Perron for 21 is far off.

The Pens really don't have much I would be interested in beyond the obvious stars and young guys. They likely aren't going to move any of them unless they get very good value (picks and NHLers) back.

Kris Letang has had injury troubles and has a big contract.

But he is the mobile PP quarterback we need and is still just 28.

Not sure what the Pens' direction is, and there is some risk, but I'd be asking about his availability.

Both teams come away from trades thinking they're the takers in most situations. There is no world where a death stare over the phone is going to convince another team to give 2-3 more valuable assets than they should.

Lmao that's why I see GMTM as a Skype man. Death stare through the internet. But in all seriousness your right. I'm just ready to get max value for our assets. No more of this who got the better end of the trade, cause the answer is we did.

Kris Letang has had injury troubles and has a big contract.

But he is the mobile PP quarterback we need and is still just 28.

Not sure what the Pens' direction is, and there is some risk, but I'd be asking about his availability.

He was one of the stars (Crosby, Malkin and Letang). We'd have to give them the world for him, so he isn't really part of the discussion if the Pens really want 21.

But I feel like we should move this discussion to the 2015/16 lineup thread.

I think we'll be meeting Bylsma as the new head coach within a few days. Either a Friday or Monday conference.

Edited by Hoss

Trades are a microcosm of the free market (sort of). In any transaction, both sides have to feel they "won" otherwise it wouldn't happen. No one is going to sell something if they think they're getting a bad deal. They may complain about the deal (and maybe outside observers would agree), but they deal doesn't happen unless both sides are relatively happy with the outcome.

Wait... you mean trade a budding superstar for one who's already plateaued and a fired coach? How would that make sense for the Sabres? I mean Bylsma might turn out to be a fine coach, but I'd be shocked if the Sabres gave up more than a 3rd round pick (what they would have given up for the best coach available in Babcock) to get Bylsma. No team needs to take Bylsma off the Penguins' hands; there are other fish in the sea.

Wait... you mean trade a budding superstar for one who's already plateaued and a fired coach? How would that make sense for the Sabres? I mean Bylsma might turn out to be a fine coach, but I'd be shocked if the Sabres gave up more than a 3rd round pick (what they would have given up for the best coach available in Babcock) to get Bylsma. No team needs to take Bylsma off the Penguins' hands; there are other fish in the sea.

So that would be a "no."

Wawrow is reporting that the Sabres met with Bylsma earlier today... Meanwhile the Pegulas were spotted at FNC sans Danny boy on their way out around the same time their plane is set to land at BNIA from the Hudson Valley. Late night pickup and interview? The family?