The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Here's what you said:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22742-terry-and-kim-pegula-owners-of-the-sabres-and-the-bills/?view=findpost&p=606514

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22742-terry-and-kim-pegula-owners-of-the-sabres-and-the-bills/?view=findpost&p=606574

Again:  are you really going to pretend that this was not speculating that TP would keep the Toronto series going? 

One thing about trolling on a message board:  it leaves a written record.

There are plenty of valid grounds on which you can criticize TP's ownership of the Sabres.  Cheapness isn't one of them.

Gorby didn't answer this when I asked it -- perhaps when the polite FNG does so the result will be different.

I trust others here have greater reading comprehension than you do. You need to learn how this trial thing works. You don't introduce evidence that's exculpatory.

I trust others here have greater reading comprehension than you do. You need to learn how this trial thing works. You don't introduce evidence that's exculpatory.

Depends on who you are introducing it for.

Edited by 3putt

I don't know Mike Babcock, but to me he appears to have way too many smarts to get involved with an organization like the one the Sabres have become. Too much kookiness going on, too much subterfuge. Just like the GM hire, the Sabres will wind up with a first-timer NHL coach. And not necessarily a good one. Sorry, folks.  I don't share the sunny optimism about this ownership regime that just about everyone else has.  I've been around the block too many times and heard all the promises before.  I hope I'm way wrong, but I don't think so.... 

I don't know Mike Babcock, but to me he appears to have way too many smarts to get involved with an organization like the one the Sabres have become. Too much kookiness going on, too much subterfuge. Just like the GM hire, the Sabres will wind up with a first-timer NHL coach. And not necessarily a good one. Sorry, folks. I don't share the sunny optimism about this ownership regime that just about everyone else has. I've been around the block too many times and heard all the promises before. I hope I'm way wrong, but I don't think so....

Sucks to be you.

I don't know Mike Babcock, but to me he appears to have way too many smarts to get involved with an organization like the one the Sabres have become. Too much kookiness going on, too much subterfuge. Just like the GM hire, the Sabres will wind up with a first-timer NHL coach. And not necessarily a good one. Sorry, folks.  I don't share the sunny optimism about this ownership regime that just about everyone else has.  I've been around the block too many times and heard all the promises before.  I hope I'm way wrong, but I don't think so.... 

Well when you use words like subterfuge and regime you don't strike me as one who views the organization objectively.  

How exactly has there been subterfuge? 

Just turrible nfreeman. Turrible.

I think I've debunked your Bills in Toronto revisionism before. I won't do it again.

I am not biting this morning, or afternoon, on any of the rest of your falderol.

Nice. My vote for word du jour!

Babdick on the future of the Red Wings:

We have lots of good, young players, no question about it, and we've got some good ones coming. But who's going to replace [Datsyuk]? I don't think [Datsyuk] is going anywhere right away, but that's what you've got to do. You've got to have big-time players up the middle and on the back to be successful. So those are questions that our organization works towards, we've been drafting good, we've been developing good, but we've been winning too much (to get high draft picks). That's the facts.

Boooooom.  He wants himself some Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Bogosian, and Eichel.

I'm not sure I want him if he doesn't know the word "well," though.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I'm wondering if Babcock might want to have more control on the acquiring of players than traditionally a NHL coach has.  Maybe not wear both the GM and coach hats but have significant say in who gets acquired.  I wonder how that might work with Murray.  If Babcock comes in and says I want control over players where's that leave Murray and what do the Pegulas do?

That was my take too. 

I don't think he speaks English very goodly.

Except that you can do good and develop good.

I'm wondering if Babcock might want to have more control on the acquiring of players than traditionally a NHL coach has.  Maybe not wear both the GM and coach hats but have significant say in who gets acquired.  I wonder how that might work with Murray.  If Babcock comes in and says I want control over players where's that leave Murray and what do the Pegulas do?

Terry might have to change his no emperor, hold hands and work together policy. If Babcock wants that, he should get it. If GMTM doesn't like it, back to Ottawa. ZFG. He's done his job. I wouldn't lose Babcock over Murray.

Terry might have to change his no emperor, hold hands and work together policy. If Babcock wants that, he should get it. If GMTM doesn't like it, back to Ottawa. ZFG. He's done his job. I wouldn't lose Babcock over Murray.

You are treading on dangerous ground here, my friend.

I'll draw to your attention what happened the last time the Sabres tried this.

Not that it would happen, but could you imagine the reaction to the Murray-worshipers on here?

Babdick on the future of the Red Wings:

Boooooom.  He wants himself some Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Bogosian, and Eichel.

I'm not sure I want him if he doesn't know the word "well," though.

Wtf would a soon to be $5MM coach need to know where the cheap booze is kept? :unsure:

:P

@TSNDaveNaylor: ."If he's leaving Detroit, I would put Edmonton at the top of the list." -- @TSNBobMcKenzie on #TSNDrive, in reference to Mike Babcock.

IF Babcock went to Edmonton, it would definitely alter the desirability of northern Alberta as a landing spot for FA's.

Look, I get that there is thankfully only a select few of you who don't like Pegula or Tim Murray. But there is so much conjecture it's mindnumbing.

First of all, this idea that someone would have no faith that Murray will make the right hire for coach is based on what? He's never hired an NHL head coach as GM before! He did offer Ted Nolan a contract, but Ted was already here, and it was the right thing to do at the time. He also let Ted hire his own assistants. Tim did have some input in some pretty good hires in Anaheim and Ottawa, including Mike Babcock and Luke Richardson. But until he actually hires his first head coach as GM and then the guy is here for a year or two you can't really pass judgement on his abilites to hire a qualified head coach. What, do you miss Darcy and his choice of Ron Rolston?

Secondly, how does one claim GMTM is an "emperor"? Because he makes decisions? If you watched the Sabres draft videos, you see how much he values the input of his scouts. He extended Ted Nolan, and then told us later that even though he had suggested some options for assistant coaches, he let Ted hire his own staff. It's obvious he also let Ted play who he wanted, including in net, tank or not. He also let Ted suspend Zadorov because that is what Ted wanted to do even if Tim disagreed. If you're basing this on who GMTM traded or who he called up or sent down to Rochester, well, that is not the coach's call - especially when he doesn't have a great relationship with the coach. He didn't have any relationship with Ted before he got here, and they apparently never developed a close one, which GMTM admitted was as much his own fault as anyones. However, and I love Ted, but he does not have a good track record of getting along with his general managers. GMTM also said in his press conference that if he hadn't had a chance to see Rochester play for a while that he relied on his scouts and his coaches on the Amerks to give him feedback on who was ready for a call-up. I don't see any "emperor-like" behavior out of GMTM.

Tim Murray has a strong personality, and I can see why it might rub some people the wrong way, but I love the guy and I still completely trust his plan and what decisions he'll make. If the Sabres are still horrible in a few years, I'll change my opinion then.

@TSNDaveNaylor: ."If he's leaving Detroit, I would put Edmonton at the top of the list." -- @TSNBobMcKenzie on #TSNDrive, in reference to Mike Babcock.

Not surprising at all. Edmonton really is a great landing spot now that Lowe isn't in charge of hockey operations.

Why should personnel decisions be given to someone who has no experience in personnel decisions. Babcock is a coach with no experience in scouting or personnel development. The Wings model is Holland's doing not Babcock.

Why should personnel decisions be given to someone who has no experience in personnel decisions. Babcock is a coach with no experience in scouting or personnel development. The Wings model is Holland's doing not Babcock.

Using this logic Murray should not be the one hiring our next coach.  

If noone ever steps up in weight class, noone ever develops.