The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

This is really cutting edge analysis on my part, but I have never liked McLellan based on looks alone.  Always looks like he is coming off a 5 day bender.  Thats all I have on this particular candidate.  

:lol:  :lol:

I don't know. It might be cool having an older Patton Oswalt coach the Sabres.

For theater: what's your (anyone) view on Phil Housley?

Phil has been great this year with the Preds.  He coaches defense (highest scoring group in the league) and the power play (average).  I think he is ready for a head coaching job, but Murray will want a veteran coach.

Babcock's situation is interesting.  He is either working the Wings for a huge raise or he legitimately wants a change of scenery.  I tend to think it is the former.

IMO, no chance.

Phil has been great this year with the Preds. He coaches defense (highest scoring group in the league) and the power play (average). I think he is ready for a head coaching job, but Murray will want a veteran coach.

Babcock's situation is interesting. He is either working the Wings for a huge raise or he legitimately wants a change of scenery. I tend to think it is the former.

Thank you both. I was asking about Housley to get informed views on him as a possible Head Coach in general, not with regard to our present opening. You both informed me. I look forward to seeing him as a Head Coach when the time and place are right. My anticipation is based on his history and personal story with deep US/Buffalo roots. With our young talent, I want an experienced, proven, winner immediately. Edited by Neo

Phil has been great this year with the Preds. He coaches defense (highest scoring group in the league) and the power play (average). I think he is ready for a head coaching job, but Murray will want a veteran coach.

I don't want to give him too much credit. With Weber, Ellis, Josi, Jones, and Ekholm, it's not the he didn't have a good hand to play.

I don't want to give him too much credit. With Weber, Ellis, Josi, Jones, and Ekholm, it's not the he didn't have a good hand to play.

On the flip side:

Josi went from good to great under Housley.

Jones is talented, but he's only played under Housley. He's been as good as expected so far so Housley deserves credit for making sure the transition went well.

Ekholm was a 4th-round pick and only had played 3 NHL games prior to Housley joining the staff and now he's a legitimate top-four dman.

Ryan Ellis was an early pick that played 32 games in each of the two seasons before Housley... Since then he's looking like a guy that could put up 30-40 points consistently on your second or third pairing.

He definitely deserves a good amount of credit for that defense.

Edited by Hoss

On the flip side:

Josi went from good to great under Housley.

Jones is talented, but he's only played under Housley. He's been as good as expected so far so Housley deserves credit for making sure the transition went well.

Ekholm was a 4th-round pick and only had played 3 NHL games prior to Housley joining the staff and now he's a legitimate top-four dman.

He definitely deserves a good amount of credit for that defense.

Completely disagree. Not that it matter to you.

Completely disagree. Not that it matter to you.

So your stance is only that the talent was already there and his job was essentially done before he got there?

Weber - absolutely. He was great before Housley was there.

Josi - He was solid at best when Housley arrived... Now he looks like he could get into the Norris discussion.

Jones - Very good prospect. Would've been hard to mess him up. I'm okay with not giving Housley any credit, but I choose to give him at least a nod for Jones not disappointing.

Ekholm - Nope. He was a nobody before Housley came along. Housley deserves tons of credit.

You didn't mention Ellis, but he was a high pick that hadn't done much yet before turning it on with Housley in town.

Edited by Hoss

So your stance is only that the talent was already there and his job was essentially done before he got there?

Weber - absolutely. He was great before Housley was there.

Josi - He was solid at best when Housley arrived... Now he looks like he could get into the Norris discussion.

Jones - Very good prospect. Would've been hard to mess him up. I'm okay with not giving Housley any credit, but I choose to give him at least a nod for Jones not disappointing.

Ekholm - Nope. He was a nobody before Housley came along. Housley deserves tons of credit.

You didn't mention Ellis, but he was a high pick that hadn't done much yet before turning it on with Housley in town.

I did mention Ellis. We can't prove if any or all those things would or wouldn't have happened with a different coach. I'm just saying he wasn't dealt Benoit, Mezaros, Strachan and Weber.

I'm also of the mindset that terrific athletes rarely make good coaches. It came too easy to them and expecting player with 1/10th the ability to do what you did doesn't work.

Edited by inkman

I did mention Ellis. We can't prove if any or all those things would or wouldn't have happened with a different coach. I'm just saying he wasn't dealt Benoit, Mezaros, Strachan and Weber.

I'm also of the mindset that terrific athletes rarely make good coaches. It came too easy to them and expecting player with 1/10th the ability to do what you did doesn't work.

My bad on missing Ellis. But that's the thing with judging a coach -- the talent evaluator in charge of doing it need to judge whether his players benefited from having him as their coach or not. There's absolutely no way you can look at what he's done in his two years with the Preds as a negative. It's definitely a good piece to have on his resume, and I'm sure somebody will eventually give him a shot as a head coach due to it.

My bad on missing Ellis. But that's the thing with judging a coach -- the talent evaluator in charge of doing it need to judge whether his players benefited from having him as their coach or not. There's absolutely no way you can look at what he's done in his two years with the Preds as a negative. It's definitely a good piece to have on his resume, and I'm sure somebody will eventually give him a shot as a head coach due to it.

You are right, it looks good on the resume and its definitely not a negative. However, player development is one of the hardest things to evaluate and get a handle on. It's no different then the stories of Risto and Grigs. The narrative is that Risto benefited and the Grigs suffered but who knows if the results would have been different if they were handled differently? Its not like we can prove it either way,

You are right, it looks good on the resume and its definitely not a negative. However, player development is one of the hardest things to evaluate and get a handle on. It's no different then the stories of Risto and Grigs. The narrative is that Risto benefited and the Grigs suffered but who knows if the results would have been different if they were handled differently? Its not like we can prove it either way,

Exactly. That's why it's up to people that are paid big money to sift through it. I'm not advocating for Buffalo to hire him (I would be disappointed), but I think he deserves credit until proven otherwise. He hasn't had any real failures since joining Nashville.

Every single defenseman that has played for him in the last two seasons has put up their highest career numbers in goals and assists except for Anton Volchenkov, Kevin Klein and Michael Del Zotto. Volchenkov can't be held against him. Klein played for him until the Del Zotto trade. Del Zotto could be considered maybe the only blemish in his time with Nashville, but he had already fallen apart a bit in NY.

I'm still torn on McClellan... He got the least out of a very good group of players.

But he does have the look. He puts his hands on his hips, in front of his jacket, with wide eyes as though he cares deeply about what's going on which makes me believe he knows what he's doing.

This is really cutting edge analysis on my part, but I have never liked McLellan based on looks alone.  Always looks like he is coming off a 5 day bender.  Thats all I have on this particular candidate.  

:lol:  :lol:

Good stuff, boys.

Since we have discovered that shithead makes it by the filter, I will assume he is not a "grade A shithead"?  :ph34r:

:lol: Couldn't quite decide which perjorative to use, so just went directly to post-filtered one. :lol:

Maybe make it a mad-lib?