The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Why should personnel decisions be given to someone who has no experience in personnel decisions. Babcock is a coach with no experience in scouting or personnel development. The Wings model is Holland's doing not Babcock.

I wouldn't give Babcock "Emperor" power in Buffalo, but he won't come to Buffalo.

And shouldn't you come from the land of "X, Y, and "jujus" and not "jujubees"? I assume you are referencing Tim Murray.

Not surprising at all. Edmonton really is a great landing spot now that Lowe isn't in charge of hockey operations.

It's still in central Alberta mind you!  Roughly on the same parallel as Moscow and southern Sweden.  

Not sure that's a great landing spot for anyone, including eskimos.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Using this logic Murray should not be the one hiring our next coach.  

If noone ever steps up in weight class, noone ever develops.

It's in the job description of a gm to hire and fire coaches. It is not in the job description of a coach to scout and draft players, set the roster sure, but not acquire and manage personnel. He has stepped up. Are you suggesting that we replace our gm with Babcock? If so then as gm he can make player decisions. As a coach His focus should be managing the roster.

I wouldn't give Babcock "Emperor" power in Buffalo, but he won't come to Buffalo.

And shouldn't you come from the land of "X, Y, and "jujus" and not "jujubees"? I assume you are referencing Tim Murray.

It's still in central Alberta mind you!  Roughly on the same parallel as Moscow and southern Sweden.  

Not sure that's a great landing spot for anyone, including eskimos.

I like juju bees. Edited by 3putt

It's in the job description of a gm to hire and fire coaches. It is not in the job description of a coach to scout and draft players, set the roster sure, but not acquire and manage personnel. He has stepped up. Are you suggesting that we replace our gm with Babcock? If so then as gm he can make player decisions. As a coach His focus should be managing the roster.

I like juju bees.

Gross. You probably like Swedish Fish too.

I like juju bees.

As a point of clarification, I would like to mention that I ADORE Jujubees as well!

I would not have the guts to eat them now though, as they are tough on teeth.

Anyway, you have your jujyfruits, your jujubees, and your "dots" not to mention your gummy bears and Swedish Fish.

Jujubees are the best. 

I'm wondering if Babcock might want to have more control on the acquiring of players than traditionally a NHL coach has.  Maybe not wear both the GM and coach hats but have significant say in who gets acquired.  I wonder how that might work with Murray.  If Babcock comes in and says I want control over players where's that leave Murray and what do the Pegulas do?

Would be an interesting dilemma but I think if the scenario is I want control, I think El Pegual says thanks for your time and calls the next candidate.

However I think since Babcock and Murray are familiar with each other that issue may get put to rest quickly.  

If Babcock goes to Edm, Buffalo truly is cursed.  

Especially then, seeing as we'd likely get some no name guy or Bylsma, whom I despise

Babcock is a great coach, but Cooper sent him packing. Cooper was a no name guy at one point and he is doing a nice job with the Bolts. Hartley is doing a nice job with the Flames and Mike Yeo was a no name guy at one point. The Sabres have a lot of options and it is a desirable position. I trust GMTM to get the right guy. Although it seems that trusting the gm is no longer in vogue.

I don't think Edmonton will pay what it will cost to get Babcock.

Why not? Rich owner, new building coming, some guy named McDavid coming onboard soon.

Babcock is a great coach, but Cooper sent him packing. Cooper was a no name guy at one point and he is doing a nice job with the Bolts. Hartley is doing a nice job with the Flames and Mike Yeo was a no name guy at one point. The Sabres have a lot of options and it is a desirable position. I trust GMTM to get the right guy. Although it seems that trusting the gm is no longer in vogue.

Well said. My order of preference goes Babcock > McLellan > somebody new. If you can't get the cream of the crop, may as well try to get the next big thing.

As a point of clarification, I would like to mention that I ADORE Jujubees as well!

I would not have the guts to eat them now though, as they are tough on teeth.

Anyway, you have your jujyfruits, your jujubees, and your "dots" not to mention your gummy bears and Swedish Fish.

Jujubees are the best. 

In Sweden they make black jujus covered in smelling salts. They are awesome if you have been drinking and need to pep up for a bit.

I still trust GMTM, but I fear a larger risk in the AHL coach route.

Plus I'm tired of always being 2nd,  Eichel to McDavid(Even if they are equal we still are 2nd), Leino to Richards(granted he didn't do great either) and so on. 

Edited by thewookie1

In Sweden they make black jujus covered in smelling salts. They are awesome if you have been drinking and need to pep up for a bit.

SO you're saying I'll be able to find such a thing at IKEA?

Gross. You probably like Swedish Fish too.

Even these?

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Salmiak-Gluten-Licorice-Fish-2/dp/B00G3909ZS/ref=sr_1_18?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1430455902&sr=1-18

Except that you can do good and develop good.

Terry might have to change his no emperor, hold hands and work together policy. If Babcock wants that, he should get it. If GMTM doesn't like it, back to Ottawa. ZFG. He's done his job. I wouldn't lose Babcock over Murray.

Interesting thought, but this roster isnt close to finished, and Mike Babcock has never been a scout.

IF Babcock leaves Detroit it will not be because he wants Hollands job it will be because of how Holland has done his job.

Detroit needs to rebuild its blueline and geriatric core or the best outlook is to be stuck with a perennially middling roster.

If Babcock comes to Buffalo it will be to work with Murray, not to surplant him.

I like juju bees.ired 

All I am saying is, we have a GM now who has never hired a coach.  Babcock never filling out a roster isn't any more concerning to me than Murray never having hired a coach before.

And I agree with X.  If Babcock comes to Buffalo it will be to work with Murray.  And I assume that includes having significant influence in roster decisions.

You are treading on dangerous ground here, my friend.

I'll draw to your attention what happened the last time the Sabres tried this.

I might draw your attention to the last time anyone suggested that Murray wasn't ready for the job around here.... bah ha ha ha ha....

I give him credit....he had Hillary Clinton running for president more than 2 weeks ago......

Really only 2 weeks ago, knew that in December and could have predicted that 2 years ago when she stepped down from Secretary of State.  Worst kept secret ever.  May have taken your post the wrong way... ?sarcasm?

Edited by North Buffalo

D

Look, I get that there is thankfully only a select few of you who don't like Pegula or Tim Murray. But there is so much conjecture it's mindnumbing.

Tim Murray has a strong personality, and I can see why it might rub some people the wrong way, but I love the guy and I still completely trust his plan and what decisions he'll make. If the Sabres are still horrible in a few years, I'll change my opinion then.

I don't think people hate Tim Murray... am I critical... you betcha.  I think he is very inexperienced and has made some bone headed PR and potential showing his hand when everyone is playing poker mistakes.  That being said, my biggest concern and it is a great unknown because of that inexperience is can he work with others who have strong personalities and share collegiallly some control, while still guiding the Sabres in the best direction.

I will never trust a plan or a person completely and reserve the right to forever remain skeptical... that doesn't mean if he comes around and does a good job picking and working with the next coach that I will be disappointed.  I hope he succeeds, but think there are some warning signs that he needs to figure out how to overcome.

Homework assignment: how much control of/influence over personnel moves does Babcock have in Detroit? The no-brainer is that the coach has to have some. You think Lindy didn't talk to Darcy about such things? There's no separation of church and state, although there was with Murray and Nolan, which is the worrisome thing here.

Homework assignment: how much control of/influence over personnel moves does Babcock have in Detroit? The no-brainer is that the coach has to have some. You think Lindy didn't talk to Darcy about such things? There's no separation of church and state, although there was with Murray and Nolan, which is the worrisome thing here.

And that is the million dollar question, can Murray find a good coach that he can trust and share and or accept strong input from?

No interviews have taken place yet. And the search, being led by general manager Tim Murray, isn't expected to speed up until at least next week, when Sabres owner Terry Pegula can turn his attention away from the NFL draft, one of the people said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c1216001f9d049f7aa7ae632702cb39a/ap-sources-mclellan-list-sabres-coaching-candidates

:w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t: 

I think it obviously varies with the coach.  A new-to-the-job coach, or a coach under fire probably doesn't get much say.  I would think that Babcock is going to go somewhere he has some control.  I don't expect him to be drafting players, but I do expect him to be active in defining what kind of players are needed, and in the case of trades, I expect him to have say in which vets get added to the roster.  Maybe not final say, but significant influence.