The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Whew! Edited the post after realizing I made a huge assumption. You know the whole ass out of U and Me thing. Good luck and God's blessings!

Does July 1 apply to anyone else? I would assume those fired can talk now, McClellan, deBoer etc.

It'll take even longer than we hoped... According to the twittersphere of reporters Babcock can't speak with other teams until July 1st.

I wonder if rather than losing him for nothing July 1st, if the Wings would take a draft pick in exchange for the right to sign him before then.

Ink that is one handsome little guy.

Even though Detroit lost, I really want Babcock after watching that game.  That team looked extremely well coached.  They dominated a much more talented team for most of tonight's game and really the better part of the series.

USA Today on Babcock:

Babcock will become the highest-paid coach in NHL history. He deserves to be the highest paid. There's already rampant speculation within the Canadian hockey media that $5 million annually (nearly twice what Chicago's Joel Quenneville currently makes as the highest-paid head coach) might be the price tag for Babcock's services.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/sharp/2015/03/07/mike-babcock-contract-nhl-detroit-red-wings/24560565/

He's currently making about $2MM per year.  I think TP will gladly give him $5MM per year, and I don't think Detroit will come close.

It could happen.

I wonder if rather than losing him for nothing July 1st, if the Wings would take a draft pick in exchange for the right to sign him before then.

Ink that is one handsome little guy.

The issue with this is that we'd need to talk to him first...I'm not sure what Detroit could do beyond that point because we could just talk to him and agree to a deal that will be signed July 1st.

Even though Detroit lost, I really want Babcock after watching that game.  That team looked extremely well coached.  They dominated a much more talented team for most of tonight's game and really the better part of the series.

USA Today on Babcock:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/sharp/2015/03/07/mike-babcock-contract-nhl-detroit-red-wings/24560565/

He's currently making about $2MM per year.  I think TP will gladly give him $5MM per year, and I don't think Detroit will come close.

It could happen.

I think EDM, TOR, PHI would as well. It will come down to what he is looking for for his future. Will coaching Connor McDavid be enough to overcome the fact that EDM is not a desirable locale. Will the lack of a generational player rule out PHI. Will the mess and pressure to win in TOR hurt their chances? Will Murray be willing to cede enough player control to Babcock to make Buffalo his choice?

Buccigross tweeted out that Buffalo would paid the most for his services. It should be interesting to watch this play out.

The issue with this is that we'd need to talk to him first...I'm not sure what Detroit could do beyond that point because we could just talk to him and agree to a deal that will be signed July 1st.

Holland could request a sixth rounder for each team that asks for permission to speak with him that becomes a third if he signs

Will coaching Connor McDavid be enough to overcome the fact that EDM is not a desirable locale. Will the lack of a generational player rule out PHI. Will the mess and pressure to win in TOR hurt their chances? Will Murray be willing to cede enough player control to Babcock to make Buffalo his choice?

These are now, The Days Of Our Lives.

It'll take even longer than we hoped... According to the twittersphere of reporters Babcock can't speak with other teams until July 1st.

That must be when his existing contract expires. So he's locked until then.... unless the Wings fire him....

But the Wings could sign him to an extension prior to July 1st. They get to talk to him first.

I think this takes a while to get done. He's probably going to take at least a week off before even talking to anybody. Every team without a coach will want to talk to him -- Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto, Edmonton, San Jose, New Jersey and Philly. Possibly St. Louis, the Isles and Boston.

He likely won't talk to everybody. You can probably rule out New Jersey right away. Everybody else is pretty appealing for one reason or another.

Unless he gets persmission he isn't allowed to talk to another team untill 30th of june when his contract expires.

But the Wings could sign him to an extension prior to July 1st. They get to talk to him first.

I know, but it'll probably be clear whether he plans to stay or not quickly... If they refuse to let him talk to anybody and he doesn't want to be there teams will wait. Not everybody, but his presumed serious suitors likely would.

Unless he gets persmission he isn't allowed to talk to another team untill 30th of june when his contract expires.

Yeap.

Holland could request a sixth rounder for each team that asks for permission to speak with him that becomes a third if he signs

I'm not sure if he can actually do that. I don't know if you can demand a piece exclusively for allowing a team to talk with one of your employees.

I think the only thing they can do is demand compensation from anybody that signs him before July 1st... If they give permission to speak to him and they don't sign him until July 1st I don't know if they could do anything about it. They could probably argue that an agreement was reached while he was still employed, so maybe that's their avenue to a pick.

Hope he says something to raise an eyebrow. It would be great if Babcock mentioned he'd like to continue his career w/ the Redwings, but is wanting to see what's out there. In my opinion, that implies he has already considered the thought of coaching a team w/ some type of historic NHL value and/or a team on verge of success w/ the youthful talent it has. If it's the latter, Babcock will focus on Edmonton and Buffalo. The Sabres are closer to being a successful team than the Oilers. However, Edmonton has McDavid. That may be the reason Babcock signs w/ the Oilers. July 1st can't come fast enough. 

*Detroit has arguably the most historic NHL value. 

Edited by GoPre

Well that was quick. Obviously he hasn't chooser a team, but it sounds like he's already thought about where he stands with Detroit. Whether that's coming back or testing the waters is yet to be determined

Hope he says something to raise an eyebrow. It would be great if Babcock mentioned he'd like to continue his career w/ the Redwings, but is wanting to see what's out there. In my opinion, that implies he has already considered the thought of coaching a team w/ some type of historic NHL value and/or a team on verge of success w/ the youthful talent it has. If it's the latter, Babcock will focus on Edmonton and Buffalo. The Sabres are closer to being a successful team than the Oilers. However, Edmonton has McDavid. That may be the reason Babcock signs w/ the Oilers. July 1st can't come fast enough. 

*Detroit has arguably the most historic NHL value. 

Sorry, not even close to Montreal.

Well that was quick. Obviously he hasn't chooser a team, but it sounds like he's already thought about where he stands with Detroit. Whether that's coming back or testing the waters is yet to be determined

Discussing his future may simply be an indeterminate , "Well, I have to weigh my options."

I don't think this is a case where Terry's money is going to make the difference. Toronto and others could match him if there's some kind of crazy bidding war. Unless Babcock is all about the money — and would that be someone you'd want? — he's going to weigh a lot of factors.

As for Terry being willing to spend freely, does past performance guarantee future results? He sure didn't break the bank for a general manager to lead a critical rebuild. Terry once said he knew he would have to spend some money to get things working the way he wants. Have we reached that point? And while Terry may want to spend liberally, he does have business advisors like Ted Black who sometimes get their way. Terry said he didn't want to raise ticket prices that first year, but they went up. Ted has also talked about needing to be financially responsible to some mythical future owner (no assumption that Terry's money would be around forever; presumably meaning that someone else would own the team — or could it mean Terry would own the team but be more Golisano-like.

This line jumped out at me in TSN's "offseason game plan" piece:

The team has an owner with deep pockets who will be willing to spend when it's needed (having already gone the route of spending too much, too soon)....

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.267947

Is it a fair assumption? The parenthetical note might suggest Terry learned some lesson about not being able to buy a winning team.

I don't think this is a case where Terry's money is going to make the difference. Toronto and others could match him if there's some kind of crazy bidding war. Unless Babcock is all about the money — and would that be someone you'd want? — he's going to weigh a lot of factors.

As for Terry being willing to spend freely, does past performance guarantee future results? He sure didn't break the bank for a general manager to lead a critical rebuild. Terry once said he knew he would have to spend some money to get things working the way he wants. Have we reached that point? And while Terry may want to spend liberally, he does have business advisors like Ted Black who sometimes get their way. Terry said he didn't want to raise ticket prices that first year, but they went up. Ted has also talked about needing to be financially responsible to some mythical future owner (no assumption that Terry's money would be around forever; presumably meaning that someone else would own the team — or could it mean Terry would own the team but be more Golisano-like.

Is it a fair assumption? The parenthetical note might suggest Terry learned some lesson about not being able to buy a winning team.

How do you know Black gets his way on anything? 

Yes TP knows spending does not equal winning, but spending wisely certainly helps.    

I hope you are not attempting to say that spending for Babcock would be a bad move? 

How do you know Black gets his way on anything? 

Yes TP knows spending does not equal winning, but spending wisely certainly helps.    

I hope you are not attempting to say that spending for Babcock would be a bad move? 

No but I suspect Terry won't go crazy to get him. And remember Terry's "no emperor" statement at the LaFontaine presser along with his many statements about no monopoly on hockey IQ in the front office and the famous flat management structure. Not sure how Babcock (not to mention Babcock making filthy money while GMTM clearly shops at Goodwill) really works here.

No but I suspect Terry won't go crazy to get him. And remember Terry's "no emperor" statement at the LaFontaine presser along with his many statements about no monopoly on hockey IQ in the front office and the famous flat management structure. Not sure how Babcock (not to mention Babcock making filthy money while GMTM clearly shops at Goodwill) really works here.

How is that any different from the top-paid players making more than the coach?

If there was ever one individual to spend crazy on, I believe that to be Babcock. In my opinion, I think he is the best coach out there. This next coaching hire is more critical than getting Eichel because this team is ready to roll for quite some time.

Many coaches make more than GMs, big deal.   GMTM seems to be a guy who cares about winning, not his bank account. 

If there was ever one individual to spend crazy on, I believe that to be Babcock. In my opinion, I think he is the best coach out there. This next coaching hire is more critical than getting Eichel because this team is ready to roll for quite some time.

Yup.

You certainly may be right that TP's money won't be enough to get Babcock here, but your implication that TP is no longer willing to spend freely is nonsense.

I think Terry Pegula has made no secret of his wish to emulate the Detroit model for player development.

I'm sure he is a HUGE fan of Babcock and he'll do what it takes to try to get him if he thinks that is what the team needs.

I also like the fact that Babcock just turned 52 (yesterday). He has a lot of coaching left in him.

It wont be Terry's money that gets Babcock. It will be his personality, Kim, and the family nature of the man and the organization. If they get a sit down meeting they will win the day.