The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Unless he is on the outs with his GM, I can't see a compelling reason for him to leave Detroit.  The players in the Wings systems are of his choosing (assuming his GM allows some input) and they play his style.  Inheriting someone else's players seems risky to me.

Chance to win > money. But not in a linear fashion. Seems to be how Babcock is handling this

It seemed to be Babcock did a lot of talking about old and young players in his press conference yesterday. I am not sure where his mind is, but I'm hoping the idea of working with all the good young players on the Sabres now and coming up the pipeline might excite him.

Buffalo seems like a better gig to me than Toronto or Edmonton, just based on the greater depth of young prospects. I'm hoping, anyway.

It seemed to be Babcock did a lot of talking about old and young players in his press conference yesterday. I am not sure where his mind is, but I'm hoping the idea of working with all the good young players on the Sabres now and coming up the pipeline might excite him.

Buffalo seems like a better gig to me than Toronto or Edmonton, just based on the greater depth of young prospects. I'm hoping, anyway.

As much as I want to agree, Edmonton could be a coach's dream. What's that? You have 3 first-overalls and the team can't get out of the basement? I can fix that!

You certainly may be right that TP's money won't be enough to get Babcock here, but your implication that TP is no longer willing to spend freely is nonsense.

No implication, just a question. I know questioning threatens a lot of people here. Sorry to go all Harrington. I think it's a fair question. And if you want to be logical, your implication that Terry is willing to spend freely is just as nonsensical, unless you reside in his head.

No implication, just a question. I know questioning threatens a lot of people here. Sorry to go all Harrington. I think it's a fair question. And if you want to be logical, your implication that Terry is willing to spend freely is just as nonsensical, unless you reside in his head.

Except that there is precisely zero indication of spending less than freely, while there are about a thousand actual instances of spending freely.

Remember when you suggested that TP might keep the Bills game in Toronto going, because he might decide to stop spending freely?

Except that there is precisely zero indication of spending less than freely, while there are about a thousand actual instances of spending freely.

Remember when you suggested that TP might keep the Bills game in Toronto going, because he might decide to stop spending freely?

It's great that we can have two discussions - one about Terry's drunken spending spree with the Bills and one about the impending closing of the vault. Two boots kicking opposite sides of the head.

As Dori would say in Finding Nemo... "Just keep kicking, just keep kicking..."

It's great that we can have two discussions - one about Terry's drunken spending spree with the Bills and one about the impending closing of the vault. Two boots kicking opposite sides of the head.

To the youtube machine! 

Murray said as much.

In his post-season press conference?  I missed it.

Like I said.

The International Date Line works in very mysterious ways.

It sure does. I stopped using it when they charged me $9.95 for the first 10 minutes.

The issue with this is that we'd need to talk to him first...I'm not sure what Detroit could do beyond that point because we could just talk to him and agree to a deal that will be signed July 1st.

Right now Mike Babcock's phone keeps ringing.  The Caller ID says 716-500-0000.  They hang up before he can answer but the message is clear.

Hope he says something to raise an eyebrow. It would be great if Babcock mentioned he'd like to continue his career w/ the Redwings, but is wanting to see what's out there. In my opinion, that implies he has already considered the thought of coaching a team w/ some type of historic NHL value and/or a team on verge of success w/ the youthful talent it has. If it's the latter, Babcock will focus on Edmonton and Buffalo. The Sabres are closer to being a successful team than the Oilers. However, Edmonton has McDavid. That may be the reason Babcock signs w/ the Oilers. July 1st can't come fast enough.

*Detroit has arguably the most historic NHL value.

I don't see how him saying that would imply everything you just said. I also disagree that we're closer than the Oilers.

I'm not talking about the past. Hence my "past performances" line. In the present, we have a first-time GM who came pretty cheap I would imagine and a hockey team that had to throw money at freaking Mezsaros to get to the salary floor. Make of it what you will.

And, no, because it never happened.

As much as I want to agree, Edmonton could be a coach's dream. What's that? You have 3 first-overalls and the team can't get out of the basement? I can fix that!

I never thought Edmonton stood a chance of landing Babcock (even after the lottery win), but then they flipped the hockey operations upside down and hired a respected hockey man in Chiarelli to run the whole show. Assuming Katz is willing to pony up financially, I think they have at least as good of a chance of landing him as we do.

I'm not talking about the past. Hence my "past performances" line. In the present, we have a first-time GM who came pretty cheap I would imagine and a hockey team that had to throw money at freaking Mezsaros to get to the salary floor. Make of it what you will.

That's not true. We were at the floor already before Meszaros was signed.

First of all, you're imagining or totally making up the idea that anyone is discussing any "impending" closing of a vault. Anyway, would it necessarily be a bad thing? Darcy did pretty well as a small-market GM under two owners, and could easily have a pair of Cups to show for it. (Yes, he was handicapped by those owners as well, and we don't need to get into the three captains.)

And who's to say the Bills and Sabres situations are mutually exclusive? How much money is the guy expected to spend on Buffalo? Is his vast fortune a community piggy bank?

In the end, I'm guessing he comes down somewhere between Old Sugar Packets and Shore Leave Terry circa 2011.

That's not true. We were at the floor already before Meszaros was signed.

OK. Technical foul. Insert another name. GMTM pretty brazenly talked about how easy it would be for him to reach the cap floor.

Are you arguing that we are just above the cap floor because Terry didn't want to spend so much money? 

No, but it is what it is, until we see otherwise. I was not in the meetings where the decision was made to go to the absolute bottom for two years in a row. I don't know if there was a financial aspect to that decision. The fair assumption is that there was no financial aspect to it.

So -- you're suspicious that TP is going to stop spending freely because...why, exactly?  Because you "imagine" that TM isn't making that much?  Do you think he's making less than other 1st-time GMs?  Do you think TP ordered PLF to hire an inexpensive GM? 

Speaking of PLF, how much do you think TP paid him for his 90 days of service?  And how do you reconcile the supposed new cheapskate approach with firing Nolan with 2 years left on his contract?

How suspicious are you about the tightening of the purse strings?  Do you think it has already happened?  Do you think there is a 75% chance it will happen?  50%?  25%?

And are you really denying your Bills-in-Toronto speculation?

Or is all of this just a baseless load of fear-and-loathing-of-the-wealthy crapola?

Just turrible nfreeman. Turrible.

I think I've debunked your Bills in Toronto revisionism before. I won't do it again.

I am not biting this morning, or afternoon, on any of the rest of your falderol.

The Sabrespace switcheroo?  I thought freeman was the one biting.

Edited by qwksndmonster

In his post-season press conference?  I missed it.

Start listening around the 12:26 minute mark. He talks about wanting to wait until after the playoffs so he has the biggest pool of candidates.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/104118300/tim-murray-presser.htm?q=ted+nolan

Do you honestly believe Tim Murray's salary had anything to do with why he was hired?  :blink:

From McKenzie:

Mike Babcock said he expects to meet with DET GM Ken Holland tomorrow a.m. but also said, at this point anyway, no timeline on his future.

Short term, Babcock will attend daughter's graduation later this week . If Grand Rapids extends its AHL playoff series, he'll be there Sun.

Babcock said he's talking to his family today, understands the amount of attention this will get but no decisions have been made...

...and only focus right now is sitting down with Holland tomorrow.

Edited by Hoss

There's a definite trend in the NHL right now towards the up and coming GM, or promoting those guys who have been assistant GMs for years.  Take a look at all of the recent hires.  Outside of Rutherford in Pittsburgh and now the Chiarelli move, they've essentially all been first timers.  And even Rutherford is a transitional GM while Boterill and co. gain more experience.

Just turrible nfreeman. Turrible.

I think I've debunked your Bills in Toronto revisionism before. I won't do it again.

I am not biting this morning, or afternoon, on any of the rest of your falderol.

Here's what you said:

I'm still interested to see how the Toronto decision flushes out.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22742-terry-and-kim-pegula-owners-of-the-sabres-and-the-bills/?view=findpost&p=606514

Terry I would have to believe wants badly to end the Toronto series. But, again, he'll have smart business guys and gals tell him it's a sound strategic financial decision to keep playing up there. What will Terry decide? Taking a home game out of Buffalo and raising Sabres ticket prices quite dramatically are roughly morally equivalent. Will he say, "Welp, guys, you're the experts. Whatever. Where are my Cheetos?" Or will he do what I hate: meddle. "I'm the owner. No Toronto series. We'll bite the bullet."

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22742-terry-and-kim-pegula-owners-of-the-sabres-and-the-bills/?view=findpost&p=606574

Again:  are you really going to pretend that this was not speculating that TP would keep the Toronto series going? 

One thing about trolling on a message board:  it leaves a written record.

There are plenty of valid grounds on which you can criticize TP's ownership of the Sabres.  Cheapness isn't one of them.

Do you honestly believe Tim Murray's salary had anything to do with why he was hired?  :blink:

Gorby didn't answer this when I asked it -- perhaps when the polite FNG does so the result will be different.