Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Knowing what type of player Murray likes - big and physical but with some skill - I think he may try to re-sign Stewart on the UFA market after selling him at the deadline.  It'd be a bold move, but is what he did last year by selling and then re-signing Moulson and CodyMac. 

Alright.  The shock is starting to subside.  Let's calm it down a bit and try to take an objective view of this, if that's possible.

-snip-

Thanks for asking! I like the move. I would have been happy with Kane for Myers straight up. 

-snip-

I think Buffalo got the best player in Kane. But that remains to be seen. 

Good stuff here boys.

Here's Scott Cullen from TSN (who I think is a very good hockey writer):

Verdict: The Sabres get the edge because Kane comes with a higher ceiling than the pieces going to Winnipeg. The Jets could come out on top, but a lot of that rests on the uncertain development of prospects and the first-round pick. There is uncertainty with every player in the deal, with both sides hoping for better out of the Bogosian and Myers blueline swap, but for all the risk that Kane might present, he's established his place as an NHL scoring winger and landing that kind of talent is why the Sabres ought to be pleased to get a deal done for the disgruntled winger.

http://www.tsn.ca/sabres-add-kane-with-an-eye-to-the-future-1.205219

How much more attractive does Buffalo suddenly look for free agents this summer? It now looks like a franchise trying to win in the short-term.

Astats are interesting on Kane: he's 14th in the league in iFenwick/60 (individual shots and missed shots per 60 minutes of player time) and 13th in iCorsi/60 (same with blocked shots added).

On a team that needs to shoot more, he adds.

iCorsi huh? Analytics continues to look like a sham to me.

Some dude from TSN and Mike Schopp were practically breathless talking about Kane's goal production per 60 minutes of ice time. Really? Do these guys think they just invented the calculator?

Astats are interesting on Kane: he's 14th in the league in iFenwick/60 (individual shots and missed shots per 60 minutes of player time) and 13th in iCorsi/60 (same with blocked shots added).

On a team that needs to shoot more, he adds.

Good article on Kane: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trading-for-evander-kane-is-a-smart-move/

BTW, if anyone here is actually interested in new stats and hockey and you aren't following Jonathan Willis, you should be.

How much more attractive does Buffalo suddenly look for free agents this summer? It now looks like a franchise trying to win in the short-term.

iCorsi huh? Analytics continues to look like a sham to me.

Some dude from TSN and Mike Schopp were practically breathless talking about Kane's goal production per 60 minutes of ice time. Really? Do these guys think they just invented the calculator?

iCorsi .....is it really that hard to understand? What's complicated about the idea that more shots are directed toward the opponents net? 

You've had a year to look at what a bad Corsi looks like. The Sabres ARE bad Corsi if you require a visual. 

OK.

Now, you have really gone too far.

I used to think you were PA, but now I am convinced you have PA tied up in your basement and you have taken over his Commodore 64.

I am on to you ... whoever you are.

PA is Yuri?  :wacko: How many personalities do people have around here? 

No, no, no!

You've got it all wrong man!

Yuri is Anna.

That hot babe from the Ukraine, who drinks expensive vodka, while wearing a purple fur coat, until she streaks at FNC during games against Nassau.

Now you got the straight poop.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

iCorsi .....is it really that hard to understand? What's complicated about the idea that more shots are directed toward the opponents net? 

You've had a year to look at what a bad Corsi looks like. The Sabres ARE bad Corsi if you require a visual. 

I know what Corsi is. It's not complicated. Thanks for proving my point.

Dividing by 60 and throwing an "i' in front of Jim's name doesn't make these dweebs geniuses.

To be honest, this sentimentality just bugs the ####ing sh#t out of me.  I loved Lemieux being drafted, and I liked Armia's upside, but knowing that a player at 23 won't work in a market is asinine.  Go drink a beer and chill the #### out.  It is a big trade, and that's all we can talk about.  Prospects are prospects.  They're great to follow and grow up with, but this teams current roster is pitiful.  I am a "Tankist", but it's not as if Kane is but 2-2 1/2 years older than Armia.  There are schmucks in every locker room. 

Your insight is well... banal.  I am not being sentimental.  I don't drink and I am very chill.  Kane is and will be a talented head case.  I don't see him as a Sabre for very long.  It was a a throw away of talent for a shot at tanking and getting McDavid.  A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. 

Good trade, and it will help the Tank, especially since Kane is out for the season and will contribute nothing until fall.  I just couldn't see Myers or Stafford being part of a team making a serious run at the Cup in a couple seasons.  We've seen everything those guys have under the hood, and it isn't championship caliber stuff.   

Good stuff here boys.Here's Scott Cullen from TSN (who I think is a very good hockey writer):

http://www.tsn.ca/sabres-add-kane-with-an-eye-to-the-future-1.205219

This is the way I see it, we get a major talent boost that is sorely needed and we give up players that might be good or better. Darcy never would have made this deal

Here's a critical issue that we haven't considered: What number will Bogosian wear?

Have wondered the same. Always has 4 in there...

4 in Peterborough, with team USA, with Atlanta and briefly in Winnipeg before switching to 44.

4, 14, 24, 34 44 all unavailable.

Wore 22 for five games with the Chicago Wolves

Draft in 08 and 4 + 4 = 8, so 48?

Born July 15th so 15?

Edited by Tank

I guess Nolan wasn't lying when he said if you put out, you'll get traded. 

-Myers with 3 goals in the last 28 games.... 2 of those in the last 3 games since Nolan said this.

-Stafford with a goal that night and again against the Islanders.

-Enroth with a .938 save percentage in 4 games since then. 

kris baker @sabrespropects 54mins ago

hmmmm rt @ajonsports not surprised to see lemieux involved in blockbuster. hes agent (claude) told sabres brandan wasn't signing in buff

If that's true, I'm glad we're rid of the little ingrate. 

GO SABRES!!!

Well im drunkie, read this deal was done when i had my 3rd beer.

I haven't read any twitter or any comments, but these are my sentiments.

this deal you can split twoways.

Myers > bogosian, at this point yeah, this might change, and i guess timmeh wasn't so high on tyler as me,  but kasdorf  might level this thing out.

Kane for stafford Armia, lemieux and a 1st.   well this feels alot like overpaying and to me lemieux might sting the most, Armia wasn't really lighting it up, and lemieux is still 2 - 3 years away.

We might have overpayed but in the end, we have a possible top RW next year for Reinhart/grigorenko alone, and maybe even Mceichel.

stafford is a throw in to help the jets right now.

This is the kind of deal we all been waiting for , yes we give a lot of our prospect pool, but i think, with fashing, bailey, baptiste, compher we should be fine on our wing, and this is what timmeh must feel like.  Yes its a gamble, and it depends on kane becoming a true #1/#2 line RW.   but he is NHL rdy, and hope he has alot to prove.

Bogosian to be honest, i don't see him taking more than the #3 spot along with gorges, but still he has experience, he shuts down well, and while risto and zads might be bright offensively bogosion-gorges can shut down the #1 line of the other team for sure.

Good trade, and it will help the Tank, especially since Kane is out for the season and will contribute nothing until fall.  I just couldn't see Myers or Stafford being part of a team making a serious run at the Cup in a couple seasons.  We've seen everything those guys have under the hood, and it isn't championship caliber stuff.   

I could with myers, but we'll see what he does on another team.   I know we are all excited, but we'll have to wait untill next year, and timmeh got this deal done, mostly under the radar and got infront of the pack.   That is just respect from me.

Nothing like a good old fashion hockey trade to warm things up in February.

This is the bold aggressive type move most were hoping for once Regier was shown the door. This is the difference between waiting for something to happen and making something happen. Can't wait to see what GM Tim Murray has left up his sleeve.