Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I agree with you on Garrioch and Eklund, but Dreger and McKenzie have reputable sources. The trade scenario McKenzie mentioned about Larkin for Myers was probably one given to him by the Detroit FO. Would Murray agree to it, not without the addition of some more significant assets.

I don't see Detroit putting Nyquist or Mantha on the table for Myers. Those are two players you keep and build around if your Detroit. I see Holland offering other players, picks or prospects.

I agree with both of these.

I think trading Myers for the sake of trading him is stupid, but with all due respect to Eleven, this isn't some poster's fantasy ramblings.

If Dreger and Mackenzie are throwing his name out there in connection to the Ducks and the Wings, that makes it legitimate message board fodder.

I think the interest in the topic is speaking for itself.

I agree with both of these.

In all honesty if I'm Holland and can get Myers without giving up Mantha and Nyquist to me they become a very good team. I could see Holland offering Larkin, 1st round pick in 2015 or 2016 or both. Someone else said it they would trade Myers for Mantha straight up and I kinda agree. Problem is you trade Myers means your drafting and developing more defense.

I think if Myers is in play I'm guessing Murray wants his players on this team and he doesn't like the contract he received from the previous regime. I thought getting rid of Ehrhoff was alittle early and I thought he could have been moved rather then cutting ties and getting nothing for him. His contract hit wasn't that bad. I know why they did it but I don't like getting nothing for a player when I believe he was still worth a player or picks.

In all honesty if I'm Holland and can get Myers without giving up Mantha and Nyquist to me they become a very good team. I could see Holland offering Larkin, 1st round pick in 2015 or 2016 or both. Someone else said it they would trade Myers for Mantha straight up and I kinda agree. Problem is you trade Myers means your drafting and developing more defense.

Larkin and a #1 isn't nearly enough IMHO. It's gotta be a no-BS top-line forward who can produce 30 goals or 75 pts or I'm not interested.

I have no idea whether Mantha is projected to fit that description, btw.

Larkin and a #1 isn't nearly enough IMHO. It's gotta be a no-BS top-line forward who can produce 30 goals or 75 pts or I'm not interested.

Mantha is expected to. But Mantha isn't part of the discussion.

I think if Myers is in play I'm guessing Murray wants his players on this team and he doesn't like the contract he received from the previous regime. I thought getting rid of Ehrhoff was alittle early and I thought he could have been moved rather then cutting ties and getting nothing for him. His contract hit wasn't that bad. I know why they did it but I don't like getting nothing for a player when I believe he was still worth a player or picks.

Murray has baldly stated Myers is in play only if a team is willing to overpay. I don't think the trade rumours have anything to do with Murray thinking his contract is bad, or wanting his own players, or shopping Myers. It has everything to do with Detroit and Anaheim seeing Myers as potentially being their missing piece and seeing if they can pressure a rookie GM with a bad team into selling low.

Mantha has 40-goal potential. And amen to the bolded.

Edited by dudacek

Has Myers shown enough for teams to think that he's worth a bonafide top line forward? I like him and think he very well could be a key to this team becoming successful, but I don't think he has displayed enough game to warrant asking for a top 3 forward in return.

So everyone, including Detroit thus far, has said no Mantha, no Gustav. Is this just for Myers straight up? or can we sweeten the pot a little? I'd throw in anyone but Zadorov, Risto, Girgs, and Reinhart to get Mantha. Plus we have 3 1st rounders to play around with.

Then again, there may be legit early trade talk. So again, can we internally agree to refrain from posting unrealistic scenarios posed by Dreger/McKenzie/that idiot Garrioch in Ottawa/Eklund involving Myers until something realistic is presented or until something might materialize?

I wonder how much of this stuff is just BS. Is anyone held accountable for spreading it? No. So what is the repercussion?

Has Myers shown enough for teams to think that he's worth a bonafide top line forward? I like him and think he very well could be a key to this team becoming successful, but I don't think he has displayed enough game to warrant asking for a top 3 forward in return.

This is where I'm at. I think expecting a top line forward in return for what would currently be a 2nd pairing Dman on a good team is living in fantasy land.

I think trading Myers for the sake of trading him is stupid, but with all due respect to Eleven, this isn't some poster's fantasy ramblings.

If Dreger and Mackenzie are throwing his name out there in connection to the Ducks and the Wings, that makes it legitimate message board fodder.

How do we know their info is real or accurate?

All right, all right, I'll shut up about it.

You shouldn't. I think all this talk is tired.

This is where I'm at. I think expecting a top line forward in return for what would currently be a 2nd pairing Dman on a good team is living in fantasy land.

He won the Calder Trophy as an 18 year old rookie, he has a nice contract, and is a freak of nature with his size.

And seeing as we have no pressing need to trade Myers, I see it as Mantha/Nyquist + or NO TRADE. Especially in regards to Detroit since they are a division rival.

Expecting a top line forward is not the same thing as saying you wouldn't trade him for less than that.

A team with lots of prospects and no proven young defencemen should not be trading a guy of Myers age, contract and skill set for more prospects unless the prospect coming back is special.

How do we know their info is real or accurate?

We don't. But we've seen them be right enough times to know they are well-connected.

We don't know they've nailed the detaisls, or if they being used; we should expect that sometimes they trade favours for info; that is the nature of the game. But we should accept that a credible source has told them Detroit and Anaheim have asked about Myers.

I don't see Detroit putting Nyquist or Mantha on the table for Myers. Those are two players you keep and build around if your Detroit. I see Holland offering other players, picks or prospects.

That is just it, Myers is something you build a team around as well. They want a right hand top D, you pay heavy for it.

All right, all right, I'll shut up about it.

Maybe, instead of no talk about (at least for now) imaginary Myers trades, the handful (if there are even that many) of posts about potential trades NOT involving Myers could get pulled from this thread into their own and this one could be dedicated to Myers trade talk 24/7?

Because this continual talk of trading a 24 yo D-man for friggin' prospects (the good Lord knows the Sabres don't have any of those currently :rolleyes:) could become maddening. And there theoretically possibly could be talk about other players not named Tyler which easily could get lost in the TT (Tyler talk).

I don't think there's much chance they'll trade Ennis until they have more confidence in what they're getting from Grigorenko and Reinhart.

I was wondering how long it would take for you to post something pointing out there is more than 1 Tyler on the Sabres. Over an hour; you're slipping.

Over the last week I have been trying to read up on the Myers situation and the Detroit situation. Detroit has been seeking a top 2 guy since the departure of Lidstrom and Rafalski. They definitely believe Myers to be able to fill that void and I think he could. So that begs the question what does Detroit possess that Buffalo could want?

The first is obvious, Anthony Mantha. With 57goals in 57 games last year in the Q, the 6'5" 207lb winger is ideal for Buffalo. Imagine 20yr old Reinhart passing to 21yr old Mantha. Things would get done, glorious things. The issue being that behind Mantha at RW they have... practically nothing. Thomas Jurco is the next RW guy and he has far less skill than Mantha. It really leaves them wanting.

The next obvious is Gustav Nyquist. The talented LW blew up the NHL last year with 28goals in 57games. He is a bit older (25) but is still a very good player. They have a little more depth at LW but Nyquist is easily the best they have.

Finally they other and probably bottom option out of Detroit, Dylan Larkin. He won't be 19 until July and is currently playing hockey at U. of Michigan. Here is his draft profile http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/24/2014-nhl-draft-profile-23-dylan-larkin/ as being also asked to play Center, Larkin is noted for a strong 2-way game and a shoot first type of player. The catch with Larkin having the ability to play center, it could mean he is the predecessor to Datsyuk in a few years.

If you are trading Tyler Myers and are Tim Murray, one of those 3 is coming back plus. With Mantha and Nyquist the plus will be much lower. With Larkin it shouldn't. I wouldn't hazard a guess at the actual price but remember the power in any negotiation lies with who cares least. Tim Murray should care least because we don't have any reason to trade Myers.

Edited by LGR4GM

It's either Mantha or Nyquist for me. As someone else said Larkin is just more of what we already have. It's obvious that some don't feel Myers is worth a teams top prospect, which is valid. I think the potential is still there and he has looked like a different player since Nolan came to town. Why trade Myers if we're moving past a teams top 2 options? Detroit may not have much LW or RW depth behind those top guys but they also don't have a potential top pairing Dman either.

Murray has baldly stated Myers is in play only if a team is willing to overpay. I don't think the trade rumours have anything to do with Murray thinking his contract is bad, or wanting his own players, or shopping Myers. It has everything to do with Detroit and Anaheim seeing Myers as potentially being their missing piece and seeing if they can pressure a rookie GM with a bad team into selling low.

I'm not sure you can pressure Tim Murray.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.