The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

Sure has. I just had my Christmas lunch at work so I have no motivation to 'work' after all that food. Combine that with not sleeping well the past two weeks and my built up Sabre rage and here we are.

I just came here to make a ###### joke. 20 posts later...

Edit: really? mast-ur-bay-shun is filtered?

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Thanks for being a voice of reason here.

On that note, if one more person trots out the Kings as an example of team building without high picks I may snap. Did they draft #1 overall? No. But they did manage to snag a Norris-caliber defenseman all the way down at #2 overall. They also drafted #3 overall and #5 overall and flipped those drafted players into Carter and Richards. Sure they found Kopitar and Brown in the middle 1st, but let's not ignore reality to try to get a two-time Cup winner to fit our argument--the Kings absolutely did tank and it certainly was a huge contributor to winning those Cups.

If you want a real example of winning without tanking, it starts and ends with Boston.

Detroit? Anaheim?

Girgensons, Risto and Zad ARE carrying the team. That's what is fun about all of this. Three players are making a huge impact on a team that was downright awful last year. How are you not enjoying this?

I'd submit that Enroth, Myers and Ennis are each carrying more than those 3.

There are several players who shouldn't be in the teams long term plans, and the sooner they are jettisoned, the better the chances of finishing near the bottom.

I am only listing those who I think should be traded AND who actually have trade value...

Stafford

Stewart

Hodgson

Enroth or Neuvirth

Myers(I wouldn't mind seeing them trade him, but I don't believe he is going anywhere)

Tank Commander Murray needs to start "unloading" by Jan 1 at the latest.

Edited by LabattBlue

Would Myers be doing as well without Gorges? Would Enroth without Irbe? Would Ennis without Girgensons?

It is a TEAM you're discussing, after all. I think what we're seeing is the intangible parameter "chemistry" at work here and the six players plus Nolan are the main ingredients. The assistant coaches are catalysts, you might say.

Why not? The skill set is clearly there. He's not just cashing in flukey garbage.

Well...he has connected on two goals his last 3 games that looked like they were hit with a sand wedge rather than a hockey stick. He's shown flashes but he's been fortunate as well.

Well...he has connected on two goals his last 3 games that looked like they were hit with a sand wedge rather than a hockey stick. He's shown flashes but he's been fortunate as well.

yes, his shooting % (17.4%) is way too high right now, that will come back down to earth (10-12%).

Just because he wrote Lolita doesn't make him a bad goalie.

Holy $hit, solid reference 11. :clapping:

My professor for my gen eds always told us to read it, but honestly the subject matter put me off from it. Maybe someday.

Also told us the dude wrote that in the back of his car on napkins while traveling across country with his wife who, when she found out what he was writing, understandably got freaked out. Have nothing to back it up, but the story always stuck with me.

Edited by WildCard

I'm with Bun. I picked the wrong day to do a 14-hour shift.

Good thread though.

Reach back in it a ways here to address Derrico's concerns:

last year's Cup winners three leading scorers: 29, 27 and 19 goals.

2013: 39, 39 and 35 (prorated)

2012: 25, 22 and 22

2011: 30, 26 and 22

2010: 30, 25 and 25

I'd be very surprised if we can't find three 25 goal scorers out of the 18 high picks "suffering" has brought us.

(This year's five high picks, Reinhart, Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek, Bailey, Hurley, Compher, Baptise, Fasching, Carrier, Girgensons, Grigorenko and Armia)

Oh yea Samson Reinhart 6goals in 11games and 23pts. Interestingly the 6goals in 11 games means Samson is actually below last seasons production.

Also why do we keep forgetting our #2 overall pick and #1 forward taken in the draft? Seems weird.

This is why I hate seeing the argument that a guy has nothing left to learn at the junior level. Sometimes I want to see a guy able to carry a crappy team on his shoulders. Kootenay is still towards the bottom of the WHL, but they are 9-2 since he returned (4-13 on the year without him). That's the exact type of player a team in our situation should want, the guy who makes the team around him that much better. There's plenty for him to learn from all of this.

Nick Baptiste remember how to score last night. 2goals yesterday and 3 points in 4 games since joining Erie. Of course he was held pointless in his first two games. Something to think about.

This is why I hate seeing the argument that a guy has nothing left to learn at the junior level. Sometimes I want to see a guy able to carry a crappy team on his shoulders. Kootenay is still towards the bottom of the WHL, but they are 9-2 since he returned (4-13 on the year without him). That's the exact type of player a team in our situation should want, the guy who makes the team around him that much better. There's plenty for him to learn from all of this.

Exactly. Sam Reinhart is the reason the Ice are winning anything. It should be a great experience and he will most likely captain team canada. Kid is not in Buffalo but most assuredly still growing.